Retro sci-fi corridor

Hi,

I finished a scene I’ve been working on for a while and thought I would share it here. My goal was to create something that had the cozy domestic feel of Star Trek but make it look a bit more industrial and lived in. I also included a small homage to one of my all time favourite games (see if you can spot it!) Hope you like it :slight_smile:

For anyone interested in my process for creating this I kept a blog here: http://barrylowndes.weebly.com/

Original and cool, gg!

The leaves of the plant look too much low poly to me. I’d put more glow for the lights. Overall i really love the scene :wink:

Yes! Really good looking, and i do like the choice of color. How long did this take?

Thank you, We may use it for a game later down the line :slight_smile: I’m currently using it to mess around with some VR stuff. The idea with the big screens / map was to keep that traditional UI stuff in the world so I am working on the functionality of those.

Yeah I agree with the leaves - I’ll fix those up soon. Might tweak the lights too I kept going back and forth with the brightness on those

Thanks - it took about 3 weeks of work (on and off) in total. You can check out the blog if you want to see a day-by-day breakdown :slight_smile:

Simply amazing!

I especially love that little hologram thing. (Reminds me of the pool of water in MYST.)
The lighting on that is just perfect in my opinion.

And you said you wanted a Star Trek look… Looks like the Ebon hawk but cleaner from KOTOR. (But that’s just me and my weird brain. :slight_smile: )

EDIT: It does look more like Star Trek the more I look at it… Must be those circle like hallways that make it look like KOTOR to me.

It look awesome!

Meshes, textures, lighting, materials, sooooooooooo nice :smiley:

Great work, I love it! I’m assuming the homage is the text that says “Hablife”? I’d be inclined to agree with @94 on the Ebon Hawk looking hallways, but you did say small homage. =P

Nice work. Has style.

So I’m not crazy. :slight_smile:

It really does look like it in ways.

Looks great but I wouldn’t call it retro. It looks more like its from Star Trek DS9. Especially the LCARS display and circular doors. With the title being Retro I was expecting some sort of Falloutish 1950s or 1980s Alien style scifi. Great job nonetheless. Did you make the models yourself?

Thanks for all the comments everyone :slight_smile:

Hablife Industries was just a random name (I swear thinking up random brand names is the hardest part of environment art!). I didn’t really think about it sounding like Half-Life until the next day although I’m sure that was in my subconscious somewhere. The little homage is in fact the map on the big screens, which is the Hydroponics deck from System Shock 2 :slight_smile:

Its ages since I played KOTOR (probably not since it first came out), but looking at pictures now I can definitely see the resemblance with all the curves! The idea behind the scene was for it to be a space station that people lived in long-term. I think Star Trek (particularly TNG) captured the feeling of this really well and that’s what I was trying to replicate here

Ah, I wouldn’t have guessed that haha. To be honest I was really grasping with the Hablife. =P

Now I see the screens! :frowning:

Especially as a fan of SS2, I am quite suprised I missed them.
Probably cause i was focausing alot on the halls and the hologram in the middle.

I reckon Star Trek (TNG/DS9) is at least semi-retro now! :wink: Yeah all the work is 100% mine - you can check out my blog in the OP if you’re interested in a breakdown

Dayum! this looks amazing! 0.o Well done.

Are you planning to make a video ? A flyby presentation with a nice music track :slight_smile:

I’m working on adding some gameplay elements to this and will post a video once those are in :slight_smile:

Wall panels made of leather?

Looks like padding as opposed to panels. =)