Noob question about seams...

The model and material looks fine in Marmoset and Substance, as soon as I bring it in-engine to test; I see the seams when I add the normal map… I know I know… google, but I can’t find it so I came here. :slight_smile:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn’t matter what environment I use either and since it is happening on all my characters I’m thinking I’m doing something wrong with the normal maps.

Your normal map needs to be set to use normal map compression, otherwise it will not render correctly.

Yes, the compression is the issue, besides the fact I lose a ton of definition once i import my NM.

First image shows compression as default with DXT 1/5 on DX11, I’ve also compressed without the alpha and set texture group from World to Character Normal Map. The results of these settings are shown in the second, third, and fourth image.

So, to get rid of the seams, I changed the compression from Default to Normal Map, however, now in the graph the NM looks really weird a very bright blue, but the seams are gone. (And every NM I bring into UE4 from Zbrush, Knald, xNormal, Substance all are bright blue. )

Here are the pics from that…

This last image is the same model and textures in SP 2.0.

Any help in clarifying this all up would be much appreciated, or at least point me in the right direction, cause all the tutorials I found on Youtube and Pluralsight are all showing normal maps in a normal color in the graph, but mine are blue. I have googled to death about loss of detail and the bright blue but still nothing.

The texture group is how mipmaps are controlled. The compression settings are necessary in how it will interpret the normal map, when it’s correct the normal map will show a higher saturation of blue.

Thanks for clarifying that. So, bright blue is good. :slight_smile:

What about the fidelity loss from Substance to UE4?

Invert the Green channel of your normal map in photoshop or tick the checkbox “Flip Green Channel” inside UE4.

Thanks for all the help. Yeah I thought I was flipping it in the bake, guess not :wink: Turns out the LOD Bias was the reason the quality looked low. lol.

Thanks again yall. :slight_smile: