3DS Max to Unreal question

Hi There,

Bit new to this, but i keep running into the same error and im a bit confused. I’ve done a lot of searching around, but essentially my problem is the same as this UE4 import plugin for Vray model libraries - Architectural and Design Visualization - Epic Developer Community Forums
I have a ton of models etc. in max that look great, the textures import, but the materials from max dont load into UE4 properly. After searching everywhere the common answer seems to be to start the process of manually editing all the materials from scratch in UE4, but so far just about everything ive found is from 2013-2015 and a lot of the pages i found have been labelled as ‘obsolete’. I’m not opposed to doing the materials from scratch, but i’m just wondering if anything has come out more recently or if there is some new setting in the updated versions of the programs that makes this process a bit easier now before i go and launch myself into an extremely long project that may not even be necessary anymore.

Thanks!

It’s normal, unreal can only import the diffuse texture of 3ds max’s standard materials. Good luck.

Ah i see, thats a bit unfortunate, but thanks for replying so quickly.
Just out of curiosity, i’m no expert at unreal, but if i import said model into UE4 and redo the materials, is there a way to save just the model itself (not the whole level/map etc.) for re-use in other UE4 projects?

special materials don’t usually export to other programs because the features are too different. Once you have a mesh and material set up the way you want, you can use the Migrate feature on the mesh which can copy it and whatever material/textures it uses to another project. You can also copy and paste the .uasset files into another project content folder.

That’s what I usually do to, copy what I want from project’s ‘‘content folder’’ to another project’s ‘‘content folder’’ via the windows file explorer. A simple copy/paste is always effective !!!

I’ve read that Modo 10 materials can translate directly to unreal engine 4 but I haven’t tested. I think it’s a recent feature.

Awesome, thanks so much guys, really appreciate all the help :slight_smile:

I actually stumbled on something a bit out of the blue, even though i still imagine going through manual materials is probably the best bet:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vraymtlconverter-v2-5

It appears to work for some things, havent tested it with all of the models but some work really well and others about 60%, just thought id share it in case anyone was having a similar issue and needed a less time-consuming fix.