Crashes from FBX import (Using Sketchup exported fbx, obj, or 3ds)

Nearly anytime I try to import into FBX, I get crashes. Rarely I will sometimes get it to work but it depends on the model. Most just will hang for 5 minutes before crashing. Some will hang but eventually load; I can find no pattern other than multiple attempts don’t change anything; if the model won’t work once, it never does.

When I load the models in Sketchup, Blender or 3DS, everything seems normal. However, if there was something glaring I would probably miss it as I am inexperienced in those programs beyond the novice level.

There might be something in the import window; I’ve tried to deselect “combine meshes” as that seems like it would be a big resource hog. Also, I read some reports of keyframes causing issues as it tries to import 200 frames of a model; but I couldn’t find any issue and I am nearly certain there is no animation data built into these models. Any other areas of the import window I could be missing?

If anyone is familiar with Sketchup, can you advise? I’ve watched the Youtube videos that I could find but they mainly have to deal with building in sketchup, texturing, lightmaps, UV wrapping, etc. Or, if there is a program like 3DS or Blender that I could ‘treat’ the model before I import it in Unreal, let me know what that process is so I can learn more. THANK you.

I’m not familiar with Sketchup, but I had fbx import crashes when trying to import incorrect version of FBX. Unreal requires FBX 2014 I believe.

edit: Yep, Fbx 2014 is required https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/

I’m using 2014/2015 Export option in 3ds

I was having the same issue with crashes (and sometimes just failed imports) for a school project,
BUT eventually I managed to succesfully import an .FBX!

I still don’t know why it is acting like this, but the workaround process goes like this:

1. Import your .FBX to UE4 (NOT ark dev kit)
  2. Right click your .FBX in the content browser, go to asset actions > export…
  3. Save the .FBX as a new .FBX file (and I suggest you give it a modification to the filename so you know it is a new version)
  4. Import to ARK dev kit!

hope that helps!