Looking for RIPmotion (Run in Place) for VR

Hey,

Got very inspirerad by this video RIPMotion: VR running in place locomotion - YouTube
Have tried it and think it is a big improvement from the teleporting. Any one know if you can
buy blueprint for UE4 that a simliar?

This is dev for unity.

I think it won’t be that hard to implement something like this.

When the user is gripping the side buttons (on htc vive), you can add the z axis movement distance (squared maybe) to the players’ lookat vector…
Also you cn pass the distance through noise reduction (low pass filter can solve the problem) so, head movements do not count as walking.

@anonymous_user_092b2cf1

There is literally a link to the blog with download in that video’s description: RIPMotion

Sounds interresting with the noise reduction thingie you mention. How does such an implementation look like? Or can you post a link to a ressource explaining that idea?

The unity implementation just samples a set amount of frames, drops the extreme jumps in velocity, and then averages the rest, it looks workable.

Ah, that’s pretty straight forward. Was starting to look into how people implement a butterworth smooth lol.

I had a simple noise filtering written for c++ on UE4…
… i just implemented it to a simple third person template, you can check it out from github repo.

Simply run the game in editor and move the mouse in x axis, left <-> right… character will start to move.
It was a proof of concept for something we were doing for another project.
Blueprint is not documented, tick event for player controller is the main part where you want to check…
Do not look at the GRAPH related function or variable group, they are for simply drawing the debug graph. STEP variables are important…

Hope it helps… :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting that. Will have a look at it when i get home.