Shadows fighting with reflection

There’s an effect that occurs where as I look down the shadows move up the objects that have reflections even if the perspective and location stays exactly the same. ie. shadows and reflections are dynamically changing with camera rotation. It wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t so drastically noticeable when large visible areas all of a sudden become black when they shouldn’t. (it occurs in 1st person and 3rd person).

I’ve tried messing around with the sphere reflection captures, a skylight and a directional light. Deleting or editing any of them does nothing. The reflections and shadows are exactly the same with no lights because the reflections that are moving are naturally occurring from the skybox. When I add a skylight with reflection captures it adds additional detail to the reflections but the issue is the skybox by default has disappearing reflections when I look down regardless of the in game settings. I’m guessing it’s a rendering setting if anything fixes it. What I find weird is not being able to disable the reflections from the skybox (the reflections persist with no lighting in the map at all).

If another object flies by the dark part that object is reflected (e.g. a projectile) but for some reason the skybox has the naturally weird reflections/shadows that move with the camera angle.

1st pic looking at a more level plane

2nd pic look slightly down

hi
what are you looking at us ScreenSpaceReflection it means it reflect only whats on the screen what you want is a skylight set to movable and if you want more information here is the Doc link

Yeah that fixed it thanks. Any advice on overall optimization for the reflections? I have no reflection capture spheres with 1 sylight and 1 directional light. It looks pretty great with no glitchy reflections anymore but I don’t know if having global reflections like this is a good thing. My maps are absolutely huge with hundreds of meshes. Didn’t change the screen space reflections or anything but the skylight.

IMO it is better if you had the skylight than small reflection capture when using big levels like outdoor/space environement but if you want to save more you can turn of sky shadowing aka DFAO if you dont need it or you can reduce the resolution of the skylight and you can go and reduce SSR quality

here is the Docs for more technical details

DFAO doesn’t work for reflections anymore (no reflection occlusion) so I’d skip it for now. But if it’s all just a space game you could get away with just a skylight/reflection and SSR, then hope players don’t notice. This is almost certainly what Fractured Space does: Welcome to Steam If you’re game setup looks similar it should give equal results.

It works pretty good with SSR and the skylight. I can see the complete world in the reflections including both near and far dynamic objects, it’s impressive that UE4 doesn’t crash with so many reflections at once. My game has way more reflections and objects on screen than fractured space.