User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.15 Animation Updates Preview - Feb 9th - Live From Epic HQ

UE Community Manager

4.15 Animation Updates Preview - Feb 9th - Live From Epic HQ

WHAT
    Tons of new animation features and improvements have gone into 4.15, so we have Sr Animation Engineer Lina Halper back on to talk about what all she has been up to. In this stream, Lina will be explaining the new Sequencer Animation Blending, Pose Snapshotting, Linking Curves to Bones, and much more! Between all of the editor updates and hot new tools, there is plenty to see for all levels of animators. Tune in and check it out!

WHEN
    Thursday, Feb 9th @ 2:00PM ET [Countdown]

WHERE
    http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
    Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander
    Lina Halper - Sr Animation Engineer - @nikolobin

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it's not always possible to answer everyone's questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it's rather likely that we don't have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 02-15-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Ooh, good one .. good one!

Question: are there any plans to improve the pose asset feature to enable "overdriving" poses (values over 1) similar to how you can have values over 1 for morph targets?

And another one: are there any plans to improve the animation curve editor by adding features like snapping and copy/paste?

My questions to stream:
    1. Do you plan make 3d or more dimensions blend space ?
    2. What is the best way to "snap" character with animation, for example when entering ladder or cataching ledge ?
    3. Can we get more manipulation with root motion, for example scale this movement ?
    4. Who can I make 'quick time events' sequence (for example fight with someone) with sequencer ?
    Thanks ;-)

I would like to know what the current state of Root Animations in networked play is. Are there any advancements planned in the near future?

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Having seen a talk about motion matching at nucl.ai16 I'd like to ask if thats something that could potentially come to the unreal engine?
    2. What are the plans for the animation system in UE4 going forward?
    3. Whats the "best" way of interfacing the AI with the animation system? ie. go to the exact location and orientation and play a specific animation.
    Last edited by MatzeOGH; 02-09-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Promoter
    Question: What's a good way to get Foot IK working with Physical Animation Component without breaking collision?

Or I suppose you could forget physical animation component, is there a way to get IK to override parts of a ragdoll period? I would imagine the solution would apply to either.

Blending physics weight works, but breaks collision.
    Last edited by Xodroc; 02-09-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: No answer during stream, still asking.

Have there been updates to the Epic Animation and Riggin Tool for Maya as well?

Well, always on time what I need actually!

Any tips on how to implement adaptive start and stops? Is there a possibility of having I livestream about something like that?

Hey all, I'll be dropping a few keys in chat for Satellite Command, in light of our latest patch!

Tune in to win
    Last edited by TheJamsh; 02-09-2017 at 02:01 PM.

This is going to be an awesome stream! +hype

yes! Lina's streams are always good ones, always insightful !

got to be some juicy flappybits in this one!

Infiltrator
    Really look forward to this. Are there any plans to release the bullet train project file. So much of that demo covers a wide range of VR interaction, AI movement etc etc. It would explain so much for us VR guys. Thanks in advance

So sad, I couldn't see it, where can i see this again? Please upload it in Youtube.

Probably to late for question but:

Will the distance matching from Paragon make it into engine sometime this year ?
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Champion
    Does it breaks compatibility with 4.14 animations projects ?

During the presentation there was a mention of the tutorial that showed how to make a maze using the event graph.

does anyone know where to find this ?

Infiltrator
    Hey, I guess it's too late to ask but is it possible to play a root motion animation on an AI character with sequencer and have it actually affect the characters movement and not just move the mesh? At the moment I can't seem to make this work. Also my character that uses an animation blueprint glitches all over the place if I play an animation with sequencer, I guess they are conflicting with each other?

Hey guys!

Late question but maybe someone will answer anyways :P.
    My question is if there are any plans to adding nested blendspaces? In the stream you talked about the Speed -> Direction -> Angle(Slope) solution which is a great example. It would be great if I could add a blendspace into another blendspace for these kinds of things . Thoughts?

Sequencer turning into Maya time editor?
    New Blendspace is awesome
    Last edited by Maxime.Dupart; 02-12-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Can you talk a bit about performance optimization strategies for animation, please? - For example a scenario with 50+ of animated enemies.
    What would be good strategies/techniques to handle this?

Will this stream come to the youtube archive? Couldn't find it there.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by iniside View Post
    Probably to late for question but:

Will the distance matching from Paragon make it into engine sometime this year ?
    This has been discussed, but there are a lot of dependency with other data, and curves, it has been a bit tricky to bring to engine. But there is possibility in the future. Watch Laurent's stream.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by xDiavalx View Post
    Can you talk a bit about performance optimization strategies for animation, please? - For example a scenario with 50+ of animated enemies.
    What would be good strategies/techniques to handle this?
    Use UpdateRateOptimization(URO), and with lots of LOD options. URO lets you choose how often they tick and whether they interpolate or not. We do this a lot in Paragon.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolobin View Post
    Use UpdateRateOptimization(URO), and with lots of LOD options. URO lets you choose how often they tick and whether they interpolate or not. We do this a lot in Paragon.
    If you're running dedicated server, we don't tick animation unless they play montage due to gameplay related events.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Widunder View Post
    Hey guys!

Late question but maybe someone will answer anyways :P.
    My question is if there are any plans to adding nested blendspaces? In the stream you talked about the Speed -> Direction -> Angle(Slope) solution which is a great example. It would be great if I could add a blendspace into another blendspace for these kinds of things . Thoughts?
    I think nested blendspace will be something we could consider instead of going for 3D. I'll bring that up next time. Thanks for the idea.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop86 View Post
    Hey, I guess it's too late to ask but is it possible to play a root motion animation on an AI character with sequencer and have it actually affect the characters movement and not just move the mesh? At the moment I can't seem to make this work. Also my character that uses an animation blueprint glitches all over the place if I play an animation with sequencer, I guess they are conflicting with each other?
    I don't think that would work. You should use slot node system if you're using sequencer to play on AIs. In the track of sequencer, you can specify what slot node it's playing on.
    If you're using slot node and root motion, in game it might work. In preview, it won't work. Not sure if sequencer handles root motion properly.

This has been discussed, but there are a lot of dependency with other data, and curves, it has been a bit tricky to bring to engine. But there is possibility in the future. Watch Laurent's stream.
    Thanks. On stream it was said it will eventually make into engine, but that was quite a while ago.

I personally don't even need everything from it (although it could be cool to have).
    It would be nice to have parts of (Orientation Wrapping) and some samples.
    I started working on it and hope to push into engine as plugin, but there are some headcaches I can't get around (ie getting exact direction of movement for animation switching). Getting direction itself is trivial when moving only in y=-1 or 1 vector. What is hard is when you start to move diagonally it should still keep one cardinal direction (ie E or W), but turn character 45 degrees (in between E and N). Or I possibly overthink it.
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

So now the UE Twitch channel is going to host dev's streams, did I get that right?

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by cyaoeu View Post
    Question: are there any plans to improve the pose asset feature to enable "overdriving" poses (values over 1) similar to how you can have values over 1 for morph targets?

And another one: are there any plans to improve the animation curve editor by adding features like snapping and copy/paste?
    >> overdriving -

I missed this. We tried that, but it was a lot more expensive to do that in normal blending. But I know what you mean about overdriving. You want to do like spring blending, and that requires over/under driving.
    We still have that in our minds, but not on our short term plan yet.

>> curve editor

Yes we do. We're going to change our whole curve editor to be more like sequencer, and that is something we plan to do this year or next, so when we do, it's going to look like sequencer.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by iniside View Post
    Thanks. On stream it was said it will eventually make into engine, but that was quite a while ago.

I personally don't even need everything from it (although it could be cool to have).
    It would be nice to have parts of (Orientation Wrapping) and some samples.
    I started working on it and hope to push into engine as plugin, but there are some headcaches I can't get around (ie getting exact direction of movement for animation switching). Getting direction itself is trivial when moving only in y=-1 or 1 vector. What is hard is when you start to move diagonally it should still keep one cardinal direction (ie E or W), but turn character 45 degrees (in between E and N). Or I possibly overthink it.
    If you can, ask this question on answer hub, and Laurent can answer correctly.

Laurent wants to move to engine, but there are data dependency, - i.e. orientation warping caches certain data, the node will use that - and those are harder to explain. You can do everything inside of node, but then it's less efficient.
    If you ask this in answer hub, I'll forward that to Laurent.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    Really look forward to this. Are there any plans to release the bullet train project file. So much of that demo covers a wide range of VR interaction, AI movement etc etc. It would explain so much for us VR guys. Thanks in advance
    Not that I know of. But I made mistake of saying that the pose snapping was used in bullet train. It wasn't but it's used in Robo Recall. And I don't think we have a plan to release that project either.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Xodroc View Post
    Question: What's a good way to get Foot IK working with Physical Animation Component without breaking collision?

Or I suppose you could forget physical animation component, is there a way to get IK to override parts of a ragdoll period? I would imagine the solution would apply to either.

Blending physics weight works, but breaks collision.
    This doesn't work. Physical animation is the one using animation to drive physics. It's not blending between. Animation velocity is what drives physics. So IK won't work.

If you want to do this, blending physics is the one in short term with feet being kinematic.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by MatzeOGH View Post
    Any tips on how to implement adaptive start and stops? Is there a possibility of having I livestream about something like that?
    If you're talking about start/stop transition, Paragon does that, and Laurent talked about it in his twitch. Search for Laurent Delayen's archive from UE4 streams.

If you can, ask this question on answer hub, and Laurent can answer correctly.

Laurent wants to move to engine, but there are data dependency, - i.e. orientation warping caches certain data, the node will use that - and those are harder to explain. You can do everything inside of node, but then it's less efficient.
    If you ask this in answer hub, I'll forward that to Laurent.
    Hey thanks for answers.
    I posted it here:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/564664/orientation-wrapping.html

Infiltrator
    I don't think that would work. You should use slot node system if you're using sequencer to play on AIs. In the track of sequencer, you can specify what slot node it's playing on.
    If you're using slot node and root motion, in game it might work. In preview, it won't work. Not sure if sequencer handles root motion properly.
    Thanks. I'm already using slots to play the animations (right click the animation track and input slot name) but it doesn't help. So I guess it doesn't handle root motion at all. Would be awesome to have this feature some time! Currently sequencer is useless to me if it doesn't support root motion I am trying to create first person sequences that are seamless with gameplay. If I was cutting to a different camera I could just switch to a copy of the character mesh and animate that, then cut back to the player camera and change the location of the AI character.
    Last edited by bishop86; 02-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Promoter
    This doesn't work. Physical animation is the one using animation to drive physics. It's not blending between. Animation velocity is what drives physics. So IK won't work.

If you want to do this, blending physics is the one in short term with feet being kinematic.
    Thanks, I was left with the impression there was some special way of using IK to do it based on an older stream. Sounds like a good solution would be to use hit events to disable blending in certain circumstances. I was mainly hoping to have a fully "active" physics solution. I've seen it setup how I'd like it in motionbuilder, but translating that to UE4 has proven challenging.

Thanks for the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by bishop86 View Post
    Thanks. I'm already using slots to play the animations (right click the animation track and input slot name) but it doesn't help. So I guess it doesn't handle root motion at all. Would be awesome to have this feature some time! Currently sequencer is useless to me if it doesn't support root motion I am trying to create first person sequences that are seamless with gameplay. If I was cutting to a different camera I could just switch to a copy of the character mesh and animate that, then cut back to the player camera and change the location of the AI character.
    Root motion works in sequencer for me. (using a Character type blueprint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast