4.15 Animation Updates Preview - Feb 9th - Live From Epic HQ

WHAT
Tons of new animation features and improvements have gone into 4.15, so we have Sr Animation Engineer Lina Halper back on to talk about what all she has been up to. In this stream, Lina will be explaining the new Sequencer Animation Blending, Pose Snapshotting, Linking Curves to Bones, and much more! Between all of the editor updates and hot new tools, there is plenty to see for all levels of animators. Tune in and check it out!

WHEN
Thursday, Feb 9th @ 2:00PM ET Countdown]

WHERE

WHO

Lina Halper - Sr Animation Engineer - @nikolobin](https://twitter.com/nikolobin)

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Ooh, good one … good one!

Question: are there any plans to improve the pose asset feature to enable “overdriving” poses (values over 1) similar to how you can have values over 1 for morph targets?

And another one: are there any plans to improve the animation curve editor by adding features like snapping and copy/paste?

My questions to stream:

1. Do you plan make 3d or more dimensions blend space ?
  2. What is the best way to “snap” character with animation, for example when entering ladder or cataching ledge ?
  3. Can we get more manipulation with root motion, for example scale this movement ?
  4. Who can I make ‘quick time events’ sequence (for example fight with someone) with sequencer ?

I would like to know what the current state of Root Animations in networked play is. Are there any advancements planned in the near future?

Woohoo!!!

1. Having seen a talk about motion matching at nucl.ai16 I’d like to ask if thats something that could potentially come to the unreal engine?
  2. What are the plans for the animation system in UE4 going forward?
  3. Whats the “best” way of interfacing the AI with the animation system? ie. go to the exact location and orientation and play a specific animation.

Question: What’s a good way to get Foot IK working with Physical Animation Component without breaking collision?

Or I suppose you could forget physical animation component, is there a way to get IK to override parts of a ragdoll period? I would imagine the solution would apply to either.

Blending physics weight works, but breaks collision.

Have there been updates to the Epic Animation and Riggin Tool for Maya as well?

Well, always on time what I need actually! :smiley:

Any tips on how to implement adaptive start and stops? Is there a possibility of having I livestream about something like that?

Hey all, I’ll be dropping a few keys in chat for Satellite Command, in light of our latest patch!

Tune in to win :smiley:

This is going to be an awesome stream! +hype

yes! Lina’s streams are always good ones, always insightful !

got to be some juicy flappybits in this one! :wink:

Really look forward to this. Are there any plans to release the bullet train project file. So much of that demo covers a wide range of VR interaction, AI movement etc etc. It would explain so much for us VR guys. Thanks in advance

So sad, I couldn’t see it, where can i see this again? Please upload it in Youtube.

Probably to late for question but:

Will the distance matching from Paragon make it into engine sometime this year ?

Does it breaks compatibility with 4.14 animations projects ?

During the presentation there was a mention of the tutorial that showed how to make a maze using the event graph.

does anyone know where to find this ?

Hey, I guess it’s too late to ask but is it possible to play a root motion animation on an AI character with sequencer and have it actually affect the characters movement and not just move the mesh? At the moment I can’t seem to make this work. Also my character that uses an animation blueprint glitches all over the place if I play an animation with sequencer, I guess they are conflicting with each other?