High resolution textures in UE4

For most of us who come form archviz. I am sure a lot of us are aware of how important high res textures are for photorealism and high res renders. So I am wondering would using 8k textures be too much for an asset in ue4. I am aware of tiling textures but what about specific details u need on a specific part of a model? I am also aware of decals but if you require a lot of unique detailing, this would mean lot of decals and keeping track of them in a scene might get complex. Would it not be ideal to have a couple of 8k textures for that asset? Also, u could use break the texture into two materials using 4k textures each.

Here, the artists uses high res textures in order to get the textures to look nice and detailed up close. High res textures is important when photorealism is concerned.Question is I am not sure how well ue4 will handle this. I would be doing a couple of close up shots for my ue4 project so I will like to know other ue4 users on this.
I did gather ue4 handling high res textures may come down to your cpu hardware capabilities.

All depends on your processing power in the CPU/GPU and such. I have worked with full 4K projects in Unreal and haven’t had an issue. It’s when you start adding in high computational features such as VXGI or high Anti-Aliasing that things get very intensive. I have seen some people use 8K textures with ease as their computers can handle it, but I Would suggest staying with 4K all around. There really isn’t much reason to go high, unless it’s a pure visualization feature for a project that you’re trying to sell to someone (Even then 8K seems unnecessary).

It’s unlikely that you’d actually need more than 4K textures, especially if you’re going for real-time performance.

Most of the time a 2k texture and a tiling detail texture will look just as good as an 8k texture, especially for arch viz type work.

Yeah, 8k does seem unnecessary, but I am thinking of normal map details on specific areas, like crack on walls or chipping on wall edges and such. I guess this is where decals come in?

You can use vertex colors/painting to put layer in a chipping or cracking texture in certain areas, or creating a mask .

Yes, I am aware of this method. I guess it’s all about best result from tiling textures rather than specific detailing as this would require high resolution textures to get it right. Thanks ZacD.

EDIT: No worries. Figured it out.