Loading Assets at Runtime

Here’s part 1 of a series on loading assets at runtime in Unreal, e.g. for DLC or modding.

Let me know if there’s interest in carrying on. I may in future look at turning this into a tutorial for the wiki.

:slight_smile:

:D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:)
I am looking forward. Also need

Perfect timing! I was running into issues with loading materials with the asset library and didn’t find the official documentation useful in solving this.

Awesome documentation! Thank you so much! :smiley:

So how do you load the paks while the game is running? Pretty sure what you have right now requires a restart of the game everytime something new is added.

Please keep this series going!

Nope, it’s possible to load them after startup. I’ll get more into the details in the next post, but here’s a good place to start if you’re impatient.

Thanks for the support everyone. I’ll try to get the next post written by this weekend.

Alright cool.

I think this is great. I would like to see a full working example project with a primary app and another project for dlc and steps on getting the dlc mod to run in the primary app. As you mentioned the example at Tom loomans site requires the primary app have foreknowledge of the dlc which is mostly useless. I’ve tried the plugin from GitHub and the hotfix mount code but apparently my mojo just isn’t enough to make it work.

Hi rokel,

This is Awesome Work and invaluable for any Game Developers that desire to extend the shelf-life of their game products with DLCs, User Created Content, and Social Building, and Sharing. Perfect for the direction I’m going with TheGameDevStore.VR with Community-Driven Mass Customization with Asset Modding!

You have a vote from me towards a Plug-in. :cool:

Thank you very much for your share, I think Epic should make more document for this …

Hello is there any more progress here? I’d love to see a part 2 on your blog. Maybe some working code or a plugin.

interesting topic, but where is part 2? :slight_smile:

Apologies for the delay, I’m trying to get permission from my employer to release a plugin (or at the very least some code samples).

Hey, I put together some example code for modding in Unreal without engine customization, using this post heavily to get me started: Functioning UE4 Modding Example Code - No Engine Customization Required - Modding - Epic Developer Community Forums I’d love some feedback if anyone has a chance to take a look.

Great work ! I would really like to be able to use these features in blueprints.

nice tutorial,thank you very much

I would love to see a part 2 with some working example would be amazing.

hey man, please start adding more parts

Any news on this thread? It would be very interesting to have some blueprints doing all this magic… :frowning:

Any continuation on this?