In-Game Character Garments Editor like Marvelous Designer

Hello Gamer Devs,

Developing In-Game Editing Systems within UE4 is what I enjoy doing. A Character Garments Editor like Marvelous Designer is definitely on my ToDo list (I believe its very possible inside UE4 using the Apex Cloth). Their pattern-based approach just makes sense. I could also see this approach being useful for virtual Furniture Upholstering. Combined with a Character and Armor Editor I could have the ultimate in-game character customizer (evil laugh here).Developing In-Game Editing Systems within UE4 is what I enjoy doing. A Character Garments Editor like Marvelous Designer is definitely on my ToDo list (I believe its very possible inside UE4 using the Apex Cloth). Their pattern-based approach just makes sense. I could also see this approach being useful for virtual Furniture Upholstering. Combined with a Character and Armor Editor I could have the ultimate in-game character customizer (evil laugh here).

Seeking input from Devs experienced with working with Apex Cloth on the feasibility of this idea.

So there is Zero Interest in this discussion? Come on, I know there is somebody out there that needs clothing for their Characters. Lets discuss…

Amazing if you could pull it off. It would take some serious work to do such a thing I expect.

The upcoming cloth tools may make it easier due to the fact you can paint the cloth sim on the material slots in the skeletal mesh editor, however I’m not sure how you’d go about making the clothing pattern editor, creating the clothing mesh parts (each clothing section would need to be rigged in order to paint cloth sim) and then stitching it together whilst on a character mesh…

Would be a serious tool though. I’d definitely be interested in such a thing.

You will need to make the mesh somehow. I think the geometry editor would be a good place to start but it’s too early to start building systems for it. If you really want to do it right now it’s better to do it in Blender which already has support for sewing pieces of garments together and simulating. It just doesn’t have an easy way to create the patterns themselves.

Hi @ULLS and @cyaoeu, thank you sincerely for the input. I don’t anticipate the process to work exactly like Marvelous Designer’s, but provide rudimentary Clothing suitable for Sci Fi/Fantasy themes. The first thought that comes to mind is attaching pre-cut Cloth sheet pieces of various shape to each other. These pre-cut shapes are fitted to each other within a pattern.

Although the original focus was on Marvelous Designer. Im looking at other techniques to cloth characters like the DAZ3D Supersuit using morph targets. The proposed Garment Designer (codename: GLAMOUR) would use several techniques to cover Character base body models. I’ve learned quit a bit developing this, and will use a similar method to attach rigid accessories such as armor plating.

Sounds awesom! Have you launched already?

Hi alexandregomes, yes I’ve launched in a implicit way, starting with MonstaMASH Creator Creator.

The Geometry editor in the Engine dosen’t convert all the Geometry to Static Meshes very well, it misses out faces
during the conversion sometimes even though all the faces were selected before converting. It dosen’t always work I am
using 4.15

i wish you allgood, keep up the good work.

Hi @TechLord,

An editor extension to the cloth tools that acts like MD would be amazing - basically an instant buy for me if the price is reasonable. Don’t get discouraged that you didnt get much response (I just saw the thread for the first time). If you can approximate MD in editor LOTS of people would be interested Im sure!

Keep up the good work!

Hi CoquiGames.

I appreciate your response and support. Achieving MD-like Character Garments Editor is one step in my mission to promote modular component-based assembly of Game Entities. I have been promoting this modular entity construction for over decade in one form of another. The time has now come, where I can pursue developing prototypes myself. With today’s computational/graphical power we can actually start physically modeling our entities from content libraries/marketplaces of pieces, parts and accessories, closer to the way things are assembled things in the real-world.

Sounds really cool. I would love to keep up with your efforts on this - maybe you can create a devlog thread on the WIP section of the forums :slight_smile: