User Tag List

Thread: Multiplayer Combat Editor

Multiplayer Combat Editor

[MCE] Multiplayer Combat Editor

The Multiplayer Combat Editor provides a set of modular tools to easily implement combat, skills, stats and state machines into your game.

MCE is adapted to both advanced and new blueprint users.
    MCE tools will prove most useful in RPG, Moba, Shooter and Action games but can be used for other games as well.
    MCE's selling price will depend on its final list of features and the depth of their modularity. I'd like to keep it under 40$.
    MCE is an idea that initially came to life while working on the Sacred Sword prototype.
    MCE can be used for both multiplayer and singleplayer games.

WIP Videos - MCE Feature Showcase / MCE Implementation Showcase

Main Features:
    • Combat Component
      An alternative to Unreal's "Any Damage" system integrated to MCE tools that features built-in systems such as death and damage types.
    • Skill Editor
      A modular editor to create any skill you need: from automatic fire, charged weapon, scopes or laser beams to fireball, rain of arrows and petrify. Featuring settings like the number of stack, the type of cost (mana or ammo) or the animation to play among many others.
    • Perk Editor
      A tool that work alongside the Skill and the Stat Editor. Modify any skill or stat at runtime ("I choose this talent which increases my fireball damage, changes its icon and FX but also increases its cost").
    • Status Editor
      An editor that allows you to create status such as "Stunned", "Rooted" or even "Feared" that have gameplay effects (like immobilizing or forcing a character to run away from a target). Linked to most of the other MCE systems.
    • Stats Editor
      Create stat for any of your game elements : characters, equipment or monsters. Use them and modify them easily. Also provides built-in system for stat regeneration and skill cost.
    • State Machine Editor
      Easily create lists of actions and the rules between them ("The player's avatar can't shoot while reloading, shooting cancels sprint and sprint cancels reload").
    • Multiplayer
      MCE has been developed to work well in a game environment involving 1 to 10 player characters shooting hundreds of projectiles a minute alongside up to 20 enemies shooting at a relatively lower rate.
      /!\ A choice has been made to focus on bandwidth performance at the detriment of client-server security therefore MCE code is not protected from purposeful cheaters.
      /!\ MCE does not provide a 'movement prediction' system which means the position of client characters can be slightly different on server.

Additional Features:
    • Weapon System
      A multiplayer weapon system that works for both TPS and FPS games using MCE tools.
    • Simple Enemy Editor
      A simple editor to create attacking and moving enemies using MCE tools.
    • Examples
      MCE provides several examples ranging from player characters to skills and enemies.
    • Widget Suite
      A suite of widgets linked to MCE tools to display most of the information your game needs.
    • Smart Print String
      A simple and modular print string system using Categories that can be toggled on and off. Quickly debug any particular feature.
    • Tutorial Series
      MCE will be supported by a series of tutorials ranging from integrating it to fully customizing it.
    • Learning Resource
      I'll apply the experience I've gathered as a blueprint and game design teacher to make sure you can learn from the plugin.
    • Compatibility
      MCE should be compatible with most systems as it does not use any "cast to class" to work. Tutorial videos on how to merge it with other popular plugins are planned.

Planned submission date: March - April 2017.

If you have any question, request or idea, I'd be glad to hear it.

Good luck and have fun in your projects everyone
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-20-2017 at 04:46 AM.
    If you want more information about one of my answer, quote it!

Elliot Yun - Ryse Up Studios

Game Design / Programming / Prototyping

A-RPG Prototype Video
    [WIP - Plugin] Multiplayer Combat Editor
    Youtube Tutorials

Holy ****! This looks amazing! Seems like Yun's done it again lol .
    My Online Resume: www.ibrahimakinde.com
    My YouTube channel (Gameplay Design Portfolio): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuJ...WCeaxEwa9XOxyw
    Project Adrayvia on the UE Forums: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...orse-Mythology
    Project Adrayvia on Steam (Already Greenlit ): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=724127444
    My Soundcloud portfolio: www.soundcloud.com/ibmax

Looks awesome, so is this a c++ plugin or BP? Thanks! Does it come with any kind of
    Frontend menu systems or session support?
    Last edited by -SP-; 01-28-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Well done on the work so far looking like this may be the new base requirement to go along with the ARPG toolkit

Quote Originally Posted by -SP- View Post
    Looks awesome, so is this a c++ plugin or BP? Thanks! Does it come with any kind of
    Frontend menu systems or session support?
    The plugin contains both blueprint and C++ code, some might move from one place to another depending on my final setup. Of course everything will be accessible through blueprints.

It is currently not planned to add any kind of menu / multiplayer lobby system, would you consider it to be a must-have addition?
    EDIT: I received another feedback asking me about such a feature. I'm awaiting for your comment and I'm thinking about it in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartay View Post
    Well done on the work so far looking like this may be the new base requirement to go along with the ARPG toolkit
    Thank you! I planned to make a Youtube Video to detail how to merge the Action RPG Inventory plugin by Vanguard Interactive with the Multiplayer Combat Editor (if you're referring to that particular product).

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_Rexx View Post
    Holy ****! This looks amazing! Seems like Yun's done it again lol .
    Hehe
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 01-29-2017 at 07:04 AM.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

That was exactly it, subscribed*

Little update here.

I finished prototyping most of the core systems (without their customization settings). I'll be cleaning up and testing the friendliness of use in the next few days.

I'll make appropriate change to the core code if some things are not well designed for the user.

I'll move on to adding the customized settings only when the core systems will be perfect for the user. In the meantime, feel free to give any feedback and idea regarding what you'd like to see in the plugin.

For now, I only added a multiplayer session management to my to-consider list.
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 02-01-2017 at 07:28 PM.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

Looks interesting, Keep up the work

Hello there

I'm still cleaning up, that takes a lot of time because I'm writing all the comments, colorizing them, renaming functions & variables and moving stuff from place to place.

I've improved the usability of several things I've came across as well. Soon I'll be trying to import MCE to a clean project and try to use it as a new user would. That's my next step.

On my way to cleaning, I've built a simple print string system that makes my life easier to notify the user where an error occurred.

This system will be included in MCE and can be customized (adding the categories you need for your game).
    Name:  newprintsystem.png
Views: 461
Size:  44.1 KB

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

Hey guys!

Here's an update for the Multiplayer Combat Editor.

I've pushed most of the initial features I intended to make with basic customization settings.

I made a 15 minute video where I showcase what an initial MCE setup could be like (goal is to have two players fighting each other).

Here it is.

Here are the features currently implemented (the video only showcases the first three):
    - Stat Manager
    - Skill Manager
    - Combat Manager
    - State Machine Manager
    - AI Manager

I still need to rework some parts of the stat manager, to implement the perk editor and to add every juicy customization settings. And of course to keep improving the user experience.

Keep in mind that this is a rough skeleton of what MCE will be so I'd be really pleased to hear any feedback / improvement / requests.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

Luminary
    I would buy this

Update here

I'm working on the skill modifiers and modifiers in general.

Here's a small test I started with:

This system is still under heavy work, it was a lot more complicated than I expected but it's okay now I think I got the architecture going.

I still plan to submit MCE on March-April.

Btw "Multiplayer Combat Editor" sounds a bit generic and I think that's something Epic is advising against (and I may have walked out of my initial scope as well ).

I'm not sure if I should change and if so for what name.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    I would buy this
    I'm glad to here it!

Have a good day ladies and gentlemen and good luck / have fun in your projects
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

do you have an idea on what you might charge for this?

Infiltrator
    Very interested in this project. Hope the rest of development runs smoothly!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mec_666 View Post
    do you have an idea on what you might charge for this?
    MCE's selling price will depend on its final list of features and the depth of their modularity. I'd like to keep it under 40$ but it's growing big quite fast. I'd like to think that the modularity and the suite of tutorials makes it worth at any mid-price range. What would you consider to be the fair price?

Quote Originally Posted by belushy View Post
    Very interested in this project. Hope the rest of development runs smoothly!
    So do I

Would you consider a multiplayer lobby feature mandatory?

Thanks for your interest guys
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

Infiltrator
    Personally yes I think a lobby feature system would be a good addition to this project. Maybe even a spectator mode feature (for mp games.)

I'd say get the already plan core done before adding lobbies. Looking good will keep an eye out for this.

It's looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Amievil View Post
    I'd say get the already plan core done before adding lobbies.
    Sounds like a wise advice

Thanks for the support guys!

I've finished most of the logic regarding modifiers.
    I added State Machine modifiers which allow you to Stun / Silence / Root the carrier of the state machine.

Next steps are to clean up the Weapon architecture to make sure it's compatible with the ARPG Inventory (and easy to use) and to finally add the damage type system (cherry on the cake).

After that, it will be all about cleaning up, commenting, restructuring, user friendliness and adding all the customization settings.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

Luminary
    For me - Multiplayer is mandatory however - I will not be using lobbies but a "hub areas" in my game world.

Yeah Multiplayer will work out-of-the box.

I was specifically talking about Create / Search / Join / Quit Session and the widget that handles the "lobby" where you get to see which players are there and the game mode / settings. It was something several people asked here and on my private list and I was wondering whether or not to include it. But I'll stick with my original plan and see how it piles up for now I believe.

But I keep that idea in my pocket and I'm eager to hear any feedback anyone would have.
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-16-2017 at 04:59 PM.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

Hey everyone

I've finished implementing the base architecture of all features \o/

That means:
    - Combat Editor
    - Skill Editor
    - Action Editor
    - Stat Editor
    - Modifier Editor
    (Talents, Status, Crowd Controls, Damage Types, Pick Ups)
    - Simple AI Interface
    - Weapon Interface

Here's a video showcasing all of it:

Remaining tasks are the following:
    - creating all example content
    - adding all customization settings
    - cleaning up / commenting
    - improving the user interface (that's what I'm most scared of)
    - producing the learning content / documentation

That's still a long road but at least I got the ball rolling.

I'm still eager to hear what you guys think!

Have a great day ladies and gentlemen, and have fun in your projects

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials

This looks great! I'd love to see the lobby/server settings added but something more unique like a player hub built-in would be incredible. I know that's probably a bit of a stretch...Do you have any plans for future releases? Or will it mostly be bug fixes and integration tutorials?

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by PixelForge View Post
    This looks great! I'd love to see the lobby/server settings added but something more unique like a player hub built-in would be incredible. I know that's probably a bit of a stretch...Do you have any plans for future releases? Or will it mostly be bug fixes and integration tutorials?

Keep up the great work!
    First of all, thank you

A 'player-hub' - you mean like moving around with your character in the lobby with other players' characters?

I'm not quite sure about updates as of yet, I mostly think in terms of learning resources.
    I have lots of plans regarding them and I wouldn't want to sabotage them by giving premade stuff (obviously following a tutorial and doing the stuff has more educational value than just downloading it).

I have a different set of tutorials I'd like to make to go along MCE: Basics / Advanced / Going Further. Basic would be quickest possible implementation, Advanced would be the breakdown of a system and how to use it and Going further would be directly modifying MCE's code. But it's a bit too early to talk about this as I haven't decided the final educational format yet.
    Last edited by Yun-Kun; 03-20-2017 at 03:23 PM.

A-RPG Prototype Video
    Youtube Tutorials