Student struggling with teleporting to anothe level using unreal 4.14.0

I’m a final year university student struggling with unreal VR, using 4.14.0, pretty new exploring this software (used UDK IN 2012) . I have one issue in my way with less than a week before presenting my final project - a VR shopping demo. What I thought I could achieve is becoming very frustrating, If someone could help and advise me please this would be much appreciated.

I have set up a blue prints to allow teleportation using the VR headset and motion controller in first person. I have tried using object teleports and door teleports however I’m not getting anywhere, as neither registers the character. I’m wanting to teleport from a portal, with a choice of 3 rooms (levels) l and back to the portal.

As a solution, having tried other options, searching unreal market place I came across this - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...eleport-system, and sadly its not for the version of unreal I’m using.

Please could some one point me in the right direction so i can achieve this.This would be most appreciated.

It is not clear to me what you are trying to do, and where it fails. If you describe it in more detail you are more likely to get the help you need.

If your levels exists as assets you probably want to use OpenLevel node and feed the name of the other level. To fire the “teleport” you might use collision volumes within doors or where ever you want to teleport from. OnOverlap() of the volume fire OpenLevel. Selecting a node and hit F9 you set a breakpoint in a node that helps you see if an event was fired. Might need to change the collision settings for the volume.

Ty , just to clarify - while in the VR template in unreal4 I want to use teleport pads to travel large distances however when I walk on or try touch them they do not teleport me, they are the pads used for teleporting 3rd person character

If you are moving around physically in room scale, then the problem is probably that the character collision capsule is still in its original position. This is intended behavior.

Try attaching a collider to the camera component of your character.

When teleporting the character, be sure to take into account the difference in camera and collision capsule positions, or you will end up a bit off.

I am unaware of how to attach a collider to the camera , being relatively new to the software. Would you know of a link to a video that I can follow. I have noticed that in the first person template their is a capsule, although I’m using the VR template and do not see a capsule their . To be clear on what I have done I have also sent the blue print as a reference so you can be sure of what has been tried. Many thanks for your help, it is appreciated

Couldn’t find a straightforward video on it.

Try this:

• Open up the VR pawn.
  • Click the big green “Add component” button.
  • Search for and add “Sphere Collision”
  • Drag and drop the new component on the Camera component, making sure it ends up under it in the hierarchy.

Hopefully this will make the HMD trigger an overlap event on the portals.

As for your blueprint, I see nothing that I can say for sure won’t work, but if I were to rate you on it I would deduct points for unnecessary code duplication and using the level blueprint for logic that fits better on the pawn or portals.

Thanks for the earlier response. I have applied following the steps. This is still not allowing the teleporting to other rooms. I’m really baffled .

You need to make sure the collision boxes are big enough to overlap, otherwise it will not trigger the overlap event. Just adding the box does not mean it will overlap. If the teleport trigger is e.g. just 20cm high, it will not overlap with the collision box attached to the Camera, cause this collision box is at your eye height ± radius/boundary. Did you try to debug with breakpoints? Did you check you collision settings? Where do you got your teleport trigger from? This is not example default. Does the execution path of the OverlapEvent of the triggerbox check if the overlapped object is of a special type, e.g. only teleport the object if it is ThirdPersonCharacter. The screenshot above looks like from the level blueprint, not the teleporter itself. Did you set this up?

If you don’t show us more screenshots of the relevant sections, e.g. collision, collision box setup etc. we can’t help you, cause we will never be sure you did check the stuff we mention the correct way. Simpliest solution would be: post your project.

I have sent the link for the tutorial i have followed,Unreal Engine 4 Teleporter - YouTube. I honestly have no understanding of blueprints, hence bieing in the situation … The collision boxes are approx 3ft high. As far as I’m aware the trigger box is not of a special type, there is no condition.

try to enlarge the collision box/sphere you applied to the camera of you player.

Thanks for responding again. I have made the sphere larger and the teleport Collison the problem is not solved. I have uploaded a image of this for you to see. Also I want to include some images, but its not letting me upload for some reason, I can acess the image from the PC but its not showing here, was also wanting to post my project. ;-(

if you are still struggeling, you might try to upload to another site.

Just tried myself yesterday to make the VR player collide with an box collision. It occurs if the vr origin is outside of the collision and the camera within the collision, you will get tons of “Overlap begin/end” events, cause the player seems to teleport forth and back every frame.
Should no matter in your case, cause the collision overlap is firing, thats everything you need.

Thank you very much for this, it solved all my problems!