User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreal Engine 4.15 Preview

Samaritan
    The texture streamer can now automatically fit to different memory budgets, without manual tweaks. The streamer will select which textures need to be reduced using different heuristics to minimize visual impact.
    I'm guessing this means we wont need to play with the default engine.ini or command lines for streaming pool size anymore?

I've heard talk that this change didn't make it into 4.15:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...28c95663ebb5be

But it is already in 4.14. Just wanted to make sure this doesn't get lost in the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's there, it just didn't make it into the release notes for this preview build (which is my fault). Look for the background blur widget in umg.
    Idk why the forums doesn't have a dancing Smiley face

Thanks for the heads up, once the download is done, I'll give it a try, I was so interested when I saw it during the live stream. It really saves a HUGE work around that I was counting on for a while.

-m

Quote Originally Posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Yeah I made that, thanks! I just thought, why just say what I wanna say (that its awesome) if I could also say it without words, just using that exact feature.
    LOL John

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zireael07 View Post
    What does the vehicle code moving into plugin mean for a existing mixed (cpp+blueprints) project centered on vehicles? How much work should I brace myself for when 4.15 gets stable?
    Hopefully it should be a pretty easy transition. The plugin is enabled by default, but if you are using vehicle classes in C++ you will need to add a dependency to the PhysXVehicle module to your Build.cs file, so the build system knows about it. The only thing that might need manual work is converting from TireType to TireConfig assets. Here are my draft notes on the topic:

Note: a manual step is required if you want to migrate old ‘TireType’ assets (deprecated in Engine) to the new ‘TireConfig’ assets (defined in the new PhysXVehicles plugin). There is a new console command available in the UE4 Editor that will do this for you - simply summon the console and enter ‘ConvertTireTypes’. This will create new TireConfig assets, copy over properties, and assign them to any VehicleWheel Blueprints. The old TireType assets can then be removed.

In the old system the PhysicalMaterial had a list of TireTypes and their friction scale. Now the TireConfig has a list of PhysicalMaterials with friction scale for each. This is because Engine (which contains the PhysicalMaterial class) cannot depend on classes in the PhysXVehicles plugin.
    Lead Framework Programmer, UE4, Epic Games
    Twitter: @EpicJamesG

4.15 is still using the old unreleasable googlevr (daydream) plugin
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-outdated.html

Google requirements now require some features that are only in the newer versions of their plugin:
    publishing requirements: https://developers.google.com/vr/dis...am/app-quality
    changelog: https://developers.google.com/vr/unreal/release-notes now up to version 1.10!

Does that mean daydream devs are stuck on 4.13 and the official UE4 builds stay without publishable daydream support? Or can we please get it in 4.15?!?

Great update!

I've got a question: What's the difference between "(Experimental) Content Hot-Reloading" and "Auto Reimport" (Editor Preferences -> General -> Loading & Saving)?

Thanks
    UE4 blog: www.michalorzelek.com/blog/ - Tutorials, free content and more!

Luminary

Uuh oh blur is amazing!
    Huuuuuuuuuge thanks for that feature!

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by m.orzelek View Post
    Great update!

I've got a question: What's the difference between "(Experimental) Content Hot-Reloading" and "Auto Reimport" (Editor Preferences -> General -> Loading & Saving)?

Thanks
    Content hot reloading allows you to reload your already existing Unreal assets that may have changed on disk while the editor is open. With this feature you do not need to restart the editor to reload your content from disk. The most common use case for this is syncing new content from source control. Previously you had to restart the editor for your content to update.

Auto-Reimport detects changes to import format files such as FBX for meshes, or png for textures, and update the asset from source.

Infiltrator
    Hi,
    judging from UE 4.15 github branch seems also not mentioned is new "HDR monitor/TV support on Nvidia via NVAPI on Windows"..
    previously avaiable from https://developer.nvidia.com/hdr-ue4
    so it's working in first preview?
    thanks..

Content hot reloading allows you to reload your already existing Unreal assets that may have changed on disk while the editor is open. With this feature you do not need to restart the editor to reload your content from disk. The most common use case for this is syncing new content from source control. Previously you had to restart the editor for your content to update.
    This feature is most welcome, I'll have to test it with the Git plugin.

- Sync ("Pull") the current branch to get server changes
    - Revert a Blueprint
    - Merge a Blueprint
    - Revert any other kind of assets (Material, Mesh, Map...)

Oh man....Nativization of blueprints finally appears to be working flawlessly with code plugins, all of my blueprints using plugin interfaces nativized without issue when testing packaging.

Is this wiki page on how to link library still relevant for 4.14 and 4.15 ?
    https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linkin...e_Build_System

This is shaping up to be my kind of release!!!

Stuff That Affects Me

FIXED/BETTER STUFF for 4.15preview1

Maps & sets!!!
    Compilation speedups!!!
    Stable blueprint nativization!!!
    Experimental content hot reloading!!!
    Other fixes!!!
    No huge new features!!!

UNCHANGED ISSUES for 4.15preview1

UE-39294 - Menus don't update on Mac
    UEDOC-4307 - Android Quickstart - Incorrect about Java Versions

NEW ISSUES for 4.15preview1

unassigned - Crash - 4.15.0preview1 during "Open a copy" of a project on Mac

CAN'T TEST ISSUES -- because the engine is too crashy to open my 4.14 project. I'll try them again when preview2 comes out.

UE-37428 - Certain BP class properties keep losing value
    UE-39464 - GetPlatform node returns "IOS" on tvOS
    UE-39501 - tvOS package for distribution fails to find valid certificate and valid provision
    UE-40545 - Uploading tvOS project: ERROR ITMS-90513 & ITMS-90471
    unassigned - tvOS "Missing Image Asset"
    unassigned - Valid Development Provision and Certificate ignored for tvOS
    unassigned - What is waking up my physics?

Any reason why navigated classes have weird classnames?

Seems to be crashing the game on startup with it enabled too.

Logs don't really give me anything either.
    Last edited by Mootjuh; 01-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Awesome guys, I got up and started dancing when I read 25-50% faster compiling times!

Keep up the great work!

Auto-Reimport detects changes to import format files such as FBX for meshes, or png for textures, and update the asset from source.
    OH MY F**KING GOODNESS............whatttttttttttttttttt.................... Seriously?! We can now Get Latest from Perforce without closing Editor?!!?!??!?!!??!?! Too bad this is Preview 1...
    Looking for help in real-time or want to help others? Join us at UE4's Unofficial Chat courtesy of Discord. Find me: @victorburgos

Join me on stream: https://www.twitch.tv/victorburgos_ for UE4 Game Dev. If you need help, just stop by and ask!

Subscribe to www.youtube.com/c/victorburgosgames for UE4 Tutorials, Live Streams and also Past Streams.

Infiltrator
    Any more supported forward shading features? Like SSR, SSAO, Contact Shadows.

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by RayRayJnr View Post
    Any more supported forward shading features? Like SSR, SSAO, Contact Shadows.
    I was close to using the forward renderer in our projects, the only thing that let it down for us was the reflections.

Can we get working project generation when only Visual Stduio 2017 is installed ?
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Unreal, when are you going to focus more on Paper2D improvements?

Infiltrator
    Did something change with the lighting in the 4.15 preview? Everything seems a little bit darker to me. I think my post processor is making the differences more apparent but it's still noticeable with it turned off. Here are 2 comparison screenshots between 4.14 and 4.15, one with my post processor on and one with it off: http://imgur.com/a/xpni5

Physical units for directional light, are they coming in this release??

Nativizing Blueprints!!! This is the best news ever!!! THX!!! I love U guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kgamble View Post
    Did something change with the lighting in the 4.15 preview? Everything seems a little bit darker to me.
    Did you try to compare lighting with standard assets from Epic Games, on sample projects for instance?

You should then open an AnswerHub question with these screenshots to get a proper analysis and feedbacks fomr Epic.

Very nice!

My Website: https://theindiedev.com
    Add me to your LinkedIN Network CLICK HERE!
    Project Frequency @ IndieDB

Champion

Please tell me there will be some more documentation / training streams / examples of GameplayTags.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I'm unable to even launch this, it doesn't load past 0%. I added a bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by muchcharles View Post
    I've heard talk that this change didn't make it into 4.15:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...28c95663ebb5be

But it is already in 4.14. Just wanted to make sure this doesn't get lost in the cracks.
    Yeah, I hope it will be back in 4.15P2
    Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
    Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Hi, I have some problems with new fontface stuff.
    In my ps4 and xbox packages I've got a lot of warning of failed fontcache loading, this i the log:

GetFontFace failed to load or process '../../../../UnrealProjects/XXXXXX/Content/Fonts/dnc47_0_Default.ufont'

I think the problems are 2:
    - the path is relative and with PC path (the XXXXXX folder is the game project one)
    - the file created has .uasset extension and not the .ufont one

--EDIT--
    I have just discovered that the ufont file is created in StageBuild directory
    Last edited by drowne; 01-20-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Really funny how "include what you use" process, really seems like going backward when you look at it at first glance.

"Sometimes you got to go back to actually move forward"

If i were to import a couple GameWorks feature i've put together in 4.14.3 how painful would it be? It can still works with the legacy system right?
    The dependancy between PhysX and all nvidia Gameworks is a kind of work i don't want any part of !

Last edited by Maxime.Dupart; 01-21-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Promoter
    Does the change to a "include what you need" cose base model (as described in the post) mean that we shall not put our includes inside the .cpp file anymore, but rather into our header file? This would make forward declarations obsolete...

Quote Originally Posted by rYuxq View Post
    Does the change to a "include what you need" cose base model (as described in the post) mean that we shall not put our includes inside the .cpp file anymore, but rather into our header file? This would make forward declarations obsolete...
    Lol, i guess it means you put the actual content that you were about to include inside the actual file instead of in a header. There's some mystical read I/O stuff going on obviously if it's -20% compile time!

Promoter
    Quote Originally Posted by xenthor View Post
    Lol, i guess it means you put the actual content that you were about to include inside the actual file instead of in a header. There's some mystical read I/O stuff going on obviously if it's -20% compile time!
    I kind of doubt that...
    But maybe I didnt make myself clear, so let me try it again: It says that all header files include only the header files they need. This is something that we would usually do in the .cpp file since we would use forward declaration in the header files.

Did anything change with instanced static meshes?
    Because I got huge decrease in draw distances of instances, and can't see any way to turn it back up.
    Landscape foliage is also affected, it gets much higher LOD vs the same object as a regular static mesh.

EDIT: turning up foliage.LODDistanceScale fixed foliage, still trying to find fix for instanced mesh
    EDIT2: foliage.LODDistanceScale also affects other instanced meshes. Not sure if that's intended behavior or not, either way, turning it up fixes both.
    Last edited by moookiexl; 01-21-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Unreal Engine Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by drowne View Post
    Hi, I have some problems with new fontface stuff.
    In my ps4 and xbox packages I've got a lot of warning of failed fontcache loading, this i the log:

GetFontFace failed to load or process '../../../../UnrealProjects/XXXXXX/Content/Fonts/dnc47_0_Default.ufont'

I think the problems are 2:
    - the path is relative and with PC path (the XXXXXX folder is the game project one)
    - the file created has .uasset extension and not the .ufont one

--EDIT--
    I have just discovered that the ufont file is created in StageBuild directory
    This should be fixed for preview 2, but feel free to try out a source build from GitHub and let me know if you're still seeing the issue.

It was previously writing out the .ufont path during cook, which wasn't always the correct path to load at runtime. It now works out the .ufont path at runtime instead.

Quote Originally Posted by rYuxq View Post
    I kind of doubt that...
    But maybe I didnt make myself clear, so let me try it again: It says that all header files include only the header files they need. This is something that we would usually do in the .cpp file since we would use forward declaration in the header files.
    You should still use forward declarations in place of includes whenever possible. Basically all they've done is to clean up the engine includes, to remove a bunch of unnecessary code being included all over the place, hence the reduction in compilation times.

Generally, a header should include itself everything that it needs in order to compile, no matter where it might be included from. Previously this wasn't the case, many engine headers relied on includes being made by the precompiled header, which meant you'd sometimes get errors if you included such an engine header from your own code module with a different precompiled header.

Promoter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamrann View Post
    You should still use forward declarations in place of includes whenever possible. Basically all they've done is to clean up the engine includes, to remove a bunch of unnecessary code being included all over the place, hence the reduction in compilation times.

Generally, a header should include itself everything that it needs in order to compile, no matter where it might be included from. Previously this wasn't the case, many engine headers relied on includes being made by the precompiled header, which meant you'd sometimes get errors if you included such an engine header from your own code module with a different precompiled header.
    Ohh now I get it. I had assumed this was already the case. So I thought the change meant something different. My bad, my misunderstanding. I guess for us, nothing changes.

In the new UE 4-15 Preview1 version when i use the FOLIAGE tool and place some trees in the Landscape the Trees disappear dont draw anymore ...when i move far away in the Editor also in Game!
    In UE4.14.3 version that not happens!
    What i must do when i wont the Trees dont disappear and stay.

Thanks!
    Last edited by VassiliosC; 01-22-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast