Weapon Master VR Support Thread

Release Version (1.0.4) out now on Unreal Marketplace and !
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp…apon-master-vr
https://heavydieselsoftworks./weapon-master-vr

Preliminary Oculus Rift Support out now in 1.0.4!

Join us on Discord! Discord
Wanna know what we are working on or what is coming to Weapon Master in the future? Check our Trello! Trello
At its core Weapon Master VR is designed to be complex yet easy to use blueprint weapon system that will help you jump start your VR game development. A product of over 300 hours of development, Weapon Master gives you access to an ever growing feature set that is both powerful and easily extendable. Creating objects to pick up and interact with is as easy as providing a mesh and extending the appropriate class, or if you are looking for more “turn key” solutions Weapon Master, as of Version 1.0, has four ready to use weapon types including magazine firearms, and the bow and arrow. Along with an intuitive inventory system, and roomscale ready locomotion, we hope the full gamut of features in Weapon Master helps you achieve the game you wish to create.

Over time we hope to grow Weapon Master VR into the most comprehensive VR weapon system available on the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Note: Weapon Master VR is not currently multiplayer ready.

Version 1.0.1 Overview

Preview

Example Level

Magazine Firearms

Basic Firearms

Bow and Arrow

Features:
VR Character - Class that handles all interaction, and works as both an ammo repository and an inventory.
Traditional Locomotion - Traditional locomotion with collision that works regardless of where you stand in the roomscale playspace.
Directional Teleportation - A comfort mode that allows teleportation similar to traditional movement but without possible nausea.
Static Mesh Pickup - Class that can be extended to pick up a static mesh.
Skeletal Mesh Pickup - Class that can be extended to pick up a skeletal mesh.
Basic Firearms - Simple guns that function more like weapons in traditional games and use traditional ammo handling (Pistol and Assault Rifle included).
Magazine Firearms - Advanced Firearms that use external or internal magazines and feature fully interactive weapon handling (Pistol, Assault Rifle, and Shotgun included!).
Attachment System 1.0 - Firearms can attach scopes, iron sights, and flashlights to guns set to accept them. Guns can even be set to spawn with attachments (ACOG Scope, Ironsight, canted Ironsight, and flashlight attachments included!).
Recoil - All firearms have fully adjustable per shot recoil.
Bloom - All firearms have fully adjustable per shot inaccuracy.
Stabilization system - Use your off hand to stabilize the weapon and reduce recoil.
Two Handed Aim - Use your left hand to help aim long guns.
Bullet System - Both hitscan and projectile bullets (Can be bypassed to us a third party system if desired).
Effects system - Create arrays of hit effects, hit sounds and bullet decals and let the system spawn them randomly on hit.
Bow and arrow - simple bow and arrow system.
Sounds - demo sounds for each weapon.
Test AI - Simple wander and attack test AI with zombie character.
Zombie Wave Example Level - Level that shows everything off in a game like setting.
Shooting Range Test Level - Level that works as test range for weapons and features.

How To Set Up Weapon Master VR (Marketplace Version)

Warning: It is not recommended to migrate Weapon Master VR into a already created project!

Recommended set up procedure

1. Select Create New Project using Weapon Master Asset in MP Vault
  2. Name your new project
  3. Select engine version
  4. Hit create
  5. Migrate files from your old project (if you have one) into this new project.

Weapon Master Setup Tutorials
Weapon Master Setup Part 1: Installing Weapon Master VR Correctly and Collision Object Types Twitch

**Weapon Master Function Tutorials **Every Monday 2:30 - 5pm until I run out of topics
Weapon Master Basics Episode 1: Basic Static and Skeletal Mesh Pickups Twitch
Weapon Master Basics Episode 2: Creating a Custom Melee Weapon From a Static Mesh Twitch
Weapon Master Basics Episode 3: Bows and Arrows Part 1 Twitch

Tutorials (Old)

-Brad
Heavy Diesel Softworks

Current Patch Notes

Previous Patch Notes

Upcoming Update: Verson 1.1 (Date:TBD)

Finished Features:

**Planned Features: ** (subject to change)

• Dynamic “Main Handedness” (based on which hand you have picked up a gun in).
  • 2 new guns (Bolt Action Rifle and scifi gun)
  • Addition of rotating bolt logic to Magazine Firearms (for bolt action rifles)
  • Expansion of basic firearms to have access to firing modes via struct array (1 gun can function as multiple different guns)
  • Attachment System 2.0 (silencers, forgrips, etc)
  • Dynamic weapon stats based on attachments (weight, sound, accuracy, recoil, etc).
  • Scope Upgrades and Expansion
  • Red Dot Sights
  • Magazine Animation Upgrade
  • Simple Test Ranged AI

Future Updates:**
Version 1.2: Breach Loaders (Double barrel shotguns, etc)
Version 1.3: Revolvers
Version 1.4: Belt Fed Rifles (LMGs and Mounted Machine guns)
Version 1.5: Miniguns (stationary guns)
Version 1.6: Bow expansion (Different types of arrows and ways to choose between them easily, ex. exploding arrows).
Version 1.7 and beyond: Open to your ideas, wants and desires!

I look forward to this :slight_smile:

Thanks! Should have another video up tomorrow covering recoil. Really close to getting stabilization in as well.

Will you be covering bipod weapons?

Are you talking about using bipods as an attachment with weapons? If so the video today wont cover that, the type stabilization I am talking about is placing your offhand on a stabilization point (like the front handle part of a rifle) and having the recoil be less than when you “Fire from the Hip”.

We want to try and tackle bipods with the bolt action/sniper rifle update but I am not sure it can be done without custom C++ scripts that mess with how collision is handled with attached actors. That doesn’t mean I wont try and figure out a way because I think it would be awesome to have fully working bipods.

There is a lot of weapon handling stuff that I want to research adding in as well (using both hands to adjust aim, aka moving the pivot point, ect) but we want to keep this blueprint only if at all possible.

After the initial release the big emphasis is going to be on bug fixes, attachments 2.0 and getting breach loaders, revolvers and bolt action guns in.

Recoil and bloom video has been added to second post.

Really nice. When are you hoping to have this for sale?

My hope is to have it submitted by the end of January. I should be finishing Stabilization this weekend and I will be doing the two example levels next week. As long as we don’t run into trouble recording the sounds we need I believe I should hit that date for submittal.

Feel free to release early and then push updates. Marketplace updates are released nightly as opposed to on a specific day so the turnaround time is really fast.

You’ve got a guaranteed sale here.

Edit: Ran into an issue that needs fixing. Finished an initial version of stabilization though. Video coming tomorrow.

Does this have 2 handed rifle support? I may as well get this instead of struggling to make my own.

Looks really good. Will buy when out :slight_smile:

Depends on what you mean by Two handed rifle support.

Right now if you move your off hand into the stabilization area and press that controller’s trigger you will “attach” the offhand and stabilize the weapon (lowers recoil). You can even drop the rifle with your main hand and it will remain attached to your off hand (for bolt action rifle manipulation). If you want both hands to affect aiming, that isn’t currently in, but I plan on adding it at some point as an option (don’t quote me but I want this in for the first update if at all possible).

Just a heads up everyone, stabilization has taken longer than I initially expected because I am trying to write a system that will work with future attachments like grenade launchers as well. So far I have gone through like 5 different versions until I landed on the one I am currently bug testing. The vive’s lack of buttons has made it a huge headache, I cannot wait for the new controller! The video is late in coming but I hope to have it out by tomorrow at the latest.

Added stabilization video.

Awesome! Yeah I meant 2 handed aiming similar to onward. I have been trying for a while but I can’t get it to work.

Its on the “to do” list but I likely won’t get to it for a while. I am not even sure if it is possible using unreal’s attachment system.

I know someone on the VR board, (sp?), made a c++ plugin that has that feature.

I am going to be doing a lot of QOL scripting the next two days as well as putting in a better hand system. Hopefully ill have a new video this weekend.

Its possible, you can alter the relative position of the attached component to its parent to rotate it to the forward hand, the problem is that late updates throw accuracy out the window which is why I turn them off for the held object in my plugin when using two hands.

You should try to do it, its not that hard if you do it like VRTK does it (just getting the rotation to face at the hand), and force objects to be X forward in their models. My method is significantly more complex and I doubt people even notice the difference too often (no Z+/Z- singularity on rotation or X forward requirement).

So it should aim towards the direction the “off hand” is facing? I assume I would just take the world location of both motion controllers, subtract them, get a rotationfromxvector and then plug that value into setrealtiverotation for the scene component that weapons attach to?

My system works by going Motion controller -> Weapon Attach Point (A blank scene component) -> attached weapon (skeletal mesh). I actually do all recoil logic (Using relative rotations) on the Weapon attach point that is attached to the motion controller. It is set as X forward.

Also, while I got you here, do you have any idea why some objects, particularly ones that fire something like guns, will “hitch” shorty after executing their “Fire” scripts. The hitch looks like the weapon mesh doubles for a half second and is really annoying. I actually thought this was a bug in my project but after trying out the gun in your template it does the same thing! If you want to see for yourself pick up your gun with one hand and fire off a few rounds while moving the gun around through the air. After you stop firing it should be hitching.

Clicking the trigger hitches the tracking for the controllers due to the vibration, it is pretty aggravating i’ll agree. It happens when the trigger snaps/clicks back into position when letting go (the controllers are really sensitive). You can pick up a normal object and just drag your finger across the trigger until it snaps back to really notice it easily.

Also for the rotation, Find Look At Rotation is a node that exists and will find the rotation needed to have the XForward of the object point at another point in space, its from xVector but already compartmentalized for you. You can apply the fire recoil after the actual rotation to face the gun so that you don’t need to change anything.