How can I make a 'release' build of Unreal Engine source for team distribution?

I know that this question has been asked before, however as far as I know the methods before 4.13 are now deprecated and the information post 4.13 seems to be vague, I’m trying to build a precompiled version of the engine, like how Epic ships it.

I tried using ‘BuildGraph’ but that just returns errors no matter what changes I make to the RunUAT.bat buildgraph stuff.

(precompiled release as in the stuff you’d find in C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.14\Engine)

Any help is appreciated,

Luminiac

1 Like

1: First you need to download/clone the source from GitHub.
2: Run Setup.bat
3: Once Setup.bat finishes run GenerateProjectFiles.bat
4: Open UE4.sln file and from Solution Explorer, right click on AutomationTool (under Programs) and select Build. This should build AutomationTool.exe successfully.
5: Now copy the below script, save it as bat and run it.

"PATH TO YOUR AUTOMATION TOOL EXE" BuildGraph -target="Make Installed Build Win64" -script=Engine/Build/InstalledEngineBuild.xml -set:HostPlatformOnly=true -set:WithDDC=false -set:SignExecutables=false -clean

This will create a binary version of UE4 that you can distribute to your team. You can find it in UE4Folder/LocalBuilds.

Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Check out this thread: [TOOL] Create your own binary build for your team - Engine Source & GitHub - Unreal Engine Forums :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I tried both ways and it compiled into \Engine\Binaries\Win64\ and not sure if Im suppose to strip the source code to distribute or? Not much documentation.

Sorry to bump, it’s been 2 months and I still haven’t found an answer.

Sorry for the late reply. You can remove the source code folder if you want to. Make sure below folders exist when distributing:

Engine*Binaries*
Engine*Build*
Engine*Config*
Engine*Content*
Engine*Documentation* (optional I guess if you don’t want rich tooltips)
Engine*Intermediate*
Engine*Plugins*
Engine*Programs*
Engine**Shaders
You can even remove *.pdb files if you want from Engine\Binaries\Win64 (comes around 5.5 GB or so) but then if a crash occurs they wont get an idea of what it is.

Apologies for the semi-necro but I ran into issues with this as well. Namely, no LocalBuilds folder is generated anywhere and it seems to build on top of my “normal” engine installation in {Root}/Engine/Binaries, which is less than ideal. I have made a customized InstalledEngineBuild.xml and my command is:

../../Engine/Build/BatchFiles/RunUAT.bat BuildGraph -target="Make Installed Build Win64" -script="Games/MyGame/InstalledEngineBuild.xml" -set:HostPlatformOnly=true -set:WithWin64=true -clean

In my InstalledEngineBuild.xml I have this:

<Property Name="LocalInstalledDir" Value="D:/LocalBuilds/Engine/Windows"/>

Still no dice.

I’m having the same issue.

I’m a little confused on a couple of things when going through this thread here that maybe someone will see and can hopefully give me a little direction.

1. That pathway for the script mentioned in ryans first post, I’m supposed to replace that stuff inside the quotes with a full pathway link to the RunUAT.bat file where that file resides right? From root to location? Or just relative location like if i save the bat in the same folder as the engine folder will I only have to put Engine/… ?

2. Will running this provide me with a fully ready to zip up build of the engine? Like I can put this on my desktop and my laptop and be able to work on the same source controlled project just fine from both computers?