User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terrain Blending Tool (based on Star Wars: Battlefront)

Promoter
    @OlmoPotums
    There is some serious hype revolving around this asset since it has been spotlighted, would you mind taking a look at it?

OMG That's pretty awesome. If you're leaving it free how can I get it??

Hey guys, sorry for the long silence but the tool is pretty much finished . I haven't managed to work out all the kinks, since Distance Fields can be pretty unstable. Now I'm working on the video tutorial. It's important to me that I release this tutorial together with the tool since there are a lot of things to take into account with my system. The problem is that I just started an internship at a video game company in Valencia and that my current apartment doesn't have internet, this has somewhat impeded my progress . I'm moving into a new apartment the 1st of March, so after that I should be able to finish the tutorial . Sorry to keep you guys waiting but I don't just want to release this into the wild without documentation . It's definitely still going to be free, so don't worry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by rYuxq View Post
    @OlmoPotums
    There is some serious hype revolving around this asset since it has been spotlighted, would you mind taking a look at it?
    Where was it featured? I was so busy the last week that I didn't see it

Promoter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlmoPotums View Post
    Where was it featured? I was so busy the last week that I didn't see it
    In the launcher
    Name:  unbenannt.PNG
Views: 2753
Size:  418.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rYuxq View Post
    In the launcher
    Hahaha, thanks for the screenshot man! That explains the recent bump in replies .

@OP - If I ever meet you, be prepared. You won't know me, but Imma give a big ol' smooch for the great service you've done for us!

Ummmmm, this is beautiful. First time poster (I think...) but I just had to say that this is amazingly fantastic and I've been wondering about how to get rid of harsh edges for a long time now. I just figured it was all art related and yadda yadda, but this is such a wonderful tool that molds technology and logic with art so well! I love it.

Soon as this toolset is available for Unreal 4.15 or higher our studio will be purchasing. Great work

Infiltrator
    Oh my god this is pretty awesome. Also saw it in the spotlight. *thumbsup*

You just solved a problem i think most people have come to just accept as "videogame things". No turning back now

Really awesome work man!

pleasce the download link

Let us know when it's ready. You will get deserved exposure
    Can't wait to test it out!
    Nazzareno Giannelli
    startupper | digital artist | music producer
    via Battuti Verdi n.15, 47121 Forlì (FC, Italy)
    +39 335 13 12 044
    info@nazzarenogiannelli.com
    www.nazzarenogiannelli.com
    www.artpicker.tumblr.com

Cant wait to test it out myself. Amazing work.

Awesome, can't wait to try it and thanks for your kindness for making it free.

this is awesome i really need this in my pipeline when can i buy this tool

Infiltrator
    Wow, this looks utterly fantastic, great work!

Hey OlmoPotums PMed you. If you would respond it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to use this and I have been trying the past couple of days to no avail. I would really love help.

hopefully releasing soon? It's amazing! <3

Samaritan
    This is really awesome and OlmoPotums deserves some love for this, but back off a little everyone and let Olmo breathe. Don't go bombarding his inbox and all that, asking for special attention. He stated he'll be releasing it, along with a tutorial. Chill!

Video games need that !

Would love to use this tool! Can't wait!

very nice work cant wait to try it out, you should put it on marketplace and make a little buck on your hard and awesome work

It would be nice if you could somehow turn this into a material function that you can just add to an existing material in order to inherit the functionality. Otherwise you'd have to re-work all of the materials for your static meshes to include this blending functionality.
    Looks fantastic though. Especially like the idea of the Automatic blend material... that would save a lot of time over having to hand paint out the seams manually.

I'm a student Video Game Design at Digital Arts and Entertainment (in Kortrijk, Belgium).
    Cool! I'm from Kortrijk. I had considered attending DAE back when it started. Do you live in Belgium ?

There is a new Meetup group for unreal West-vlaanderen. Maybe you can join? There is also one for belgium.

Great work on the material! I can definitely use this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrederickD View Post
    Cool! I'm from Kortrijk. I had considered attending DAE back when it started. Do you live in Belgium ?

There is a new Meetup group for unreal West-vlaanderen. Maybe you can join? There is also one for belgium.

Great work on the material! I can definitely use this.
    Thanks for the info! Although I'm currently in Valencia, so I won't be able to take advantage of that group for a while .

Supporter
    Congratulations ^^

Great job, i always look at terrain in BF one, and wonder how to achieve than in UE
    Your tool is amazing bud

Where can i download it?

Hey, I found a clue about the "missing link" about this technique (how to find out the normals of the terrain around the static mesh) here at 1:42:48 https://youtu.be/eYDn2sQ8uKs?t=1h42m48s
    ..For each particle, looks up into the global distance field and it gets the distance to the nearest surface and it also computes the gradient of the distance field which gives you the normal of the surface you are closest to. So you automatically know both the distance and what the normal of that surface is...
    Next step is to somehow blend the the normals of the of the static mesh and the normals of the terrain with the mask from 'DistanceToNearestSurface' Node for each pixel.

We just need someone to translate that into Material Nodes or HSLS Custom Node, please

Was this tool ever available, or does Unreal has something similar nowadays (2017)?

I think what you have done here is a Great thing
    I know my self others have looked at this and wonderd what can be done
    but you are the one that did it
    I wonder if you can make a blending tool that works with armor/clothing character blending
    as a toon moves the armor/clothing cuts in to the toon body cuasing a graphic cut in to the charter
    perhaps advancing your tool to handel this interaction would be an even greater feet ?

Infiltrator
    I wonder about stability/reliability and performance thou. Is it possible to make a Battlefront type of game with it?
    Like in this video at the end:

Samaritan
    Quote Originally Posted by Sen3D View Post
    I wonder about stability/reliability and performance thou. Is it possible to make a Battlefront type of game with it?
    I have to be snarky here, and ask: has you seen teh Unreal Engine before? Watched any of the showcase reels?

can't wait my landscape needs this badly

Wow... This is looking soo usefull. Thanks for your work.

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Derjyn View Post
    I have to be snarky here, and ask: has you seen teh Unreal Engine before? Watched any of the showcase reels?
    I love Unreal! I'm referring to Distance Fields. One or two rocks might work. I just wonder if it's still stable enough for the production of a bigger game.
    Because he said it himself:
    "since Distance Fields can be pretty unstable"

The deadline of the project is in two weeks, so I probably will put it up then . I have exams now, so everything is a bit busy at the moment

Any update? I hope exams went well! :-)

Promoter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sen3D View Post
    I love Unreal! I'm referring to Distance Fields. One or two rocks might work. I just wonder if it's still stable enough for the production of a bigger game.
    Because he said it himself:
    "since Distance Fields can be pretty unstable"
    I'm working on a game project which includes a big physics based ocean. I initially used distance fields to render foam around objects. But I had to turn it off as it caused way too much of an FPS drop. With the distance fields disabled I now get a very stable 120+ FPS. With it enabled it would sometimes drop to 20/30. Distance fields will be a GREAT tool once it's more optimized. And when it is I will definitely re-enable it again in the project I'm working on. But for now the sacrifice in performance is just much too high. Even when you look at several videos on youtube, most if not all of them will recommend not using distance fields unless you really really need it and the sacrifice in performance is worth it. Like for a purely visual project I guess it has a place. But if you are building a game and are aiming for stable performance, especially over a wide array of mahines, it's still not worth it sadly. I really hope distance fields will become much more optimized and viable for games.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast