Unreal Engine 4 'RIVALRY' Demo debuts at Google I/O

When Google needed to show off the new graphics capabilities of L, the upcoming release of Android, they turned to Epic and NVIDIA for a demo.

The requirements were that the demo had to run on an NVIDIA Tegra K1 mobile processor and it had to utilize the new features of AEP (Android Extension Pack), a set of APIs that extend the functionality of OpenGL ES 3.1.

In under three weeks, Epic created the “Rivalry” demo. How could something so visually complex be created in such a short period of time? As it turns out, Epic had previously created the scene to show off UE4 engine features. However it was made for a DX11-class PC. Working together, the Epic team and NVIDIA dev tech engineers were able to port the demo, along with new, original content, to Android and AEP. The “Rivalry” demo Google showed was actually running the same high-end desktop rendering pipeline. Thanks to L, K1, and UE4, in the very near future you will have PC gaming graphics in your pocket.

You can read more about K1, AEP, and UE4 over on the NVIDIA blog site: Gaming Archives | NVIDIA Blog

Awesome! AWESOME! No… its… EPIC!

Epic has there hands in almost everything that remotely considers graphics (and especially gaming) important.

World Record for Most Succesful Game Engine Ever.
World Record for being the only company being in involved in two separate keynotes, of which the companies involved oppose each other and are in fierce competition.

Awesomeness mixed with humor! That’s what I’m talkin about.

It really amazes me that phones are now faster then a high end gaming PC that I had 5ish years ago, and are now getting to the point where they are catching up to current high ends at a rapid pace.

Nice demo :smiley: Love the humor in it :wink:

Great to see what the K1 is capable of with running UE4.

Interesting. Won’t such graphics kill battery in a 10 minutes time? Or they will put portable fusion/fission reactor into new phones/tablets with K1? :slight_smile:

If i recall correctly, tegra has really low energy consumption, still higher than other mobile GPUs, but much much lower than PC GPUs.

Incredible nice plot twist in the demo :smiley:

I didn’t get it. Why did you use this AEP for Tegra K1 if this chipset support dx11 (and even dx12), OpenGL 4.4? And can we see this content running on mobile?

Hilarious demo, especially the ‘- U wanna play? - Okay’ part. Also, it’s technically flawless, and it showcases UE4 really good!
But Epic, why there are too much chromatic aberrations out there? Looks good, but a bit heavy, don’t you think?

I too really enjoyed the humor!

At first I was like “oh another serious fighting scene, we need something a little diff… wait! Wow that’s cool!”

Yay for your creativity and humor Epic!

:slight_smile:

Rama

Thats really a epic demo :smiley:

Amazing Demo! Does Epic plan to put this demo into Marketplace?

Any plans on ever releasing the assets for this ? I have fleshed out my q learning system more and would like to use the assets to showcase the ai off.