UE4 Youtube Tutorial your loves and hates pros and cons?

thought i would share for fun about

what do you love and hate about ue4 Youtube Tutorial or whats your pros and cons about them ?

my loves - are it cool to see how something is done if you dont know how to do it or where to start

my hates - sodding overlayed music and not the persons voice lol

my pros - would be if its well record and structured and explained in detail so its easy to follow

my con - if the maker of the Tutorial or series of Tutorial does not finished the topic and leave it half finished and have to wait months for the next one

as a former youtube content creator i know myself what its like to put your content up on youtube for people to follow and also getting time to record videos round you life style and things you doing with the topics you record about like replying to messages or comments

less about me

so

what do you love and hate about ue4 Youtube Tutorial or whats your pros and cons about them ?

I always hate when the maker doesn’t show the finished product before doing the tutorial. Sometimes things are named badly or whatever, and you might not be watching what you want, and it can be annoying to scrub through a lengthy video to find the right bit to demo what it is.

totally agree iv done this

i agree with all

What I Do Like: A to-the-point explanation of why you chose to do this node and method instead of that node.

What I Do Not Like: A brief 30 second run-through of what you have built before the series started and we pick up from there.

I hate ppl that deletes their videos in the course of time and then wants fee

I ended up refusing to do this, mainly because I see on the answer-hub, facebook groups, and these forums that most of the people using the finished samples just use them and don’t learn from them.

this is interesting in my opinion a tutorial or a very good and well made tutorial is aimed at showing how something is done and how other people can learn from the video

from what i have seen alot of people use marketplace assets which stops them from releasing the files to the public on copyright stuff

unless the user who made the tutorial is good and original to use 100% custom assets and wishs to then release the files

but on that note people try and bypass the learning side of the tutorial video and head directly to the download link

which in my opinion defeats watching and learning from the tutorial video unless the tutorial is very poorly done and you need the files to understand what the person has done

Love: Most Stuff can be found on YouTube
Hate: Often the videos are way too long. (explaning something really simple in a 20 minute video)

if something is quite complex, like the mesh based particle tut I made, I do add the few things I made.
but no use explaining i.e. what a cascade node does, and then just giving a project with the cascade node :stuck_out_tongue:
but if I am making world most amazing beam, I rather not add the project else (just like aforementioned mesh based particle) I will see it pop up everywhere.

I hate when I want to explain something simple, and it ends a 20m video.
I do my best to keep them short, but thats not always possible. (because I explain poorly) :stuck_out_tongue:

hates :

1. Pretty much all stems from not pre-planning a video at all, write a script for yourself and prepare the things you are going to use. Make sure you have done the thing you are going to try and teach. Nothing shows you’re under prepared like getting to a point where you are trying to display/show something and it doesn’t work correctly.
  2. Too long an intro/splash screen (should be no longer than 5-10seconds).
  3. Show it - don’t talk about it. It’s a video for a reason, show what you’re trying to teach. Having someone trying to teach theory of ‘something’ with them just looking at the editor and chatting for 20-30 minutes will send me to sleep. If I wanted theory of something I’ll read about it in my own time. If you need a long introduction and theory of what you’re going to talk about put it down in a blog or website somewhere and refer to it, best to keep the actual practice of something in the video.
  4. Long rambling digressions from the subject, refer back to 1
  5. If you refer to some documentation/pages/other people either link in the description or use annotations/links/overlays so people can pause and go look at it.
  6. No background music, it’s not needed in a tutorial what so ever (unless it’s about music :P). Sure the intro/outro it’s fine but keep it at the same level as the speaking in the video, and not jarring to the ear. Nothing worse than having to correct the volume part way through the video.

So as someone who has made these mistakes before, the best thing to do when creating is all about planning it out first and script up and write it up and print it out so you can read off aloud what you are trying to do. Make sure everything works correctly before hand and that you have everything you need.

Basically this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=JibBArDrOac
“best” as in “worst”

and I already regret not searching for that video incognito because now I will have hundreds of similar suggestions on YT.

I keep telling myself this, and I keep failing at it.

I think this is a very interesting point since I just started with my sessions and I actually do them totally unprepared on purpose. I want to explicitly show how you can sometimes run into problems and how I try to find nice ways to work around them since I think this is a huge part of working in the industry…smart problem solving. Often, the guys doing tuts just have everything perfect and if stuff ****s up at home I am like: so what now?

Would you say an approach like this is a welcome reason for having a video session not pre planned?

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Brings me back to 2002-2006 My flash teacher ALWAYS hit problems, and solving them often caused either more problems, or he spend our valuable time trying to troubleshoot his own mess.
This can be very frustrating for people watching, who arent there to see him trying to solve his own problems.

that doesn’t mean it can be handy to show your approach on problem solving, but in theory, you should do separate videos about trouble solving… which again are well thought out/prepared in advance :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, it just happens.

But i found it hard to follow, when i did not knew how to deal with all that stuff that was explained. (now i just skip through videos until i see something that looks like what i need)

But it can be overwhelming for new Users.

Anyway, every contribution that is useful is welcome, dont get me wrong on that. :smiley: (btw. whats about your 356 days particle-thread?)

EDIT: Something VERY important is the Version of UE4 used in the video… since stuff gets changed, and might look totally different in later versions, or might be replaced entirely.

< > speeds up and slows down on youtube btw (make sure you use shift , . )

That’s what streaming is for, people can see your progress and problem-solving etc, but not in tutorial videos. Personally just makes it look like some hobbyist doing it part time (which of course it usually is).

If I go to youtube for a problem or to teach me how to do something, I am there for this specific reason. I don’t really need to know about the full theory of art design or the history of the engine before I start - it’s blam 5-10 minute video on how to achieve something. I do watch allot of game dev streams, especially art (3d sculpting/modelling especially) because sometimes they will go about something completely differently than I had thought of and it’s a revelation to me … especially something like Zbrush where there are a dozens of ways to approach any given problem.

Definitely, principally, without any decent caption, with correct text. I hate.