Some technical details on for UE4 subscribers

Hello,

We appreciate the positive responses. We’re anxious to get this released to the UE4 subscribers asap.

The post from ioFlow – I’m happy to provide what additional information I can. I hope that this UE4 blog post from last summer is helpful. We’ll soon update our limited UE4 product page as well.

As for the UE4 integration, we’re continuing to work with Epic to keep it solid. As for painting SpeedTrees in foliage, the answer is yes! SpeedTrees use standard static meshes in UE4, so anywhere you can use those, you can use SpeedTrees. However, there is a tradeoff involved. Because UE4 uses hardware instancing for foliage, SpeedTrees lose some of the vertex attributes that we need for our wind. Until we can resolve this, one workaround is to use a sinusoidal effect on WorldPositionOffset for a gentle swaying that is enough to break up a forest. We can probably throw together an example material, if you’d like.

The UE4 Modeler we’ll be offering will be version 7, which we haven’t even released to our traditional games licensees yet. While this video shows the cinematic/vfx version of the Modeler (growth and season changes aren’t part of the games pipeline), the interface is nearly the same. The documentation for the Modeler is online if you’d like to take a look. The entire system has been overhauled since the release that went out with UDK. A few features I’d like to highlight:

• Sub-division surfaces, in particular, are a huge leap forward for hero trees. Resolution scales readily as well. Sub-d docs here.
  • If you don’t want to cough up the triangles for sub-d, we have our branch seam blending feature integrated. Low-poly trees often have cylinders shoved into other cylinders. Our blending approach helps to hide the seam. In fact, there’s lots of tools to help hide the seams.
  • There’s a Simplify feature that automatically generates textures from high-detail trees to make lower-detail models. I’m amazed how often this feature is overlooked. It’s great for lower-end platforms.
  • There’s a Wind Wizard that helps automatically set our detailed wind parameters. Great wind that renders a little slower, or low-detail wind that’s fast, you control the tradeoff. The high-end wind can be tuned convincingly enough that it’s been used in several feature films.
  • While we lead on Windows, we will have a Mac version available, too.

SonKim - you asked about being able to sell your trees on the marketplace. We’re open to this, but details about the UE4 marketplace have yet to emerge. Like you, we’re waiting to hear more.

We appreciate the support guys. Can’t wait to get this out to you!

, Inc.

Awesome! :smiley:

Will we get a free limited UE4-specific version (like we did with UDK)? Or will we have to pay this time? :slight_smile:

Those trees in the video looked amazing :wink:

so growth and season aren’t going to be implemented in UE4 at all or it just isn’t in there yet? confused.

So the only question left, is how much will it cost ?

[
Will we get a free limited UE4-specific version (like we did with UDK)? Or will we have to pay this time?
[/QUOTE]

[
So the only question left, is how much will it cost ?
[/QUOTE]

There will be flat fees for the UE4-specific Modeler and tree assets that we offer. No royalties.

The specific prices are still undetermined.

Thanks for the clarification. Not sure if I can afford it though, after paying for UE4 :frowning:

Thanks for answer.

Waiting to see what will come up then!

If it’s anything like the Unity deal(495) I’ll probably buy it. I plan on creating many trees to sell in the UE4 marketplace.

@

So, integration for in UE4 is already there I presume and free, but the Modeler 7.0 will have a price on it?

Will you be offering a Software-as-Service model for the modeller, so that one could get a license for a few months on a subscription, when needed, as opposed to buying it outright?

$495 is too much to be used a few times, when needed, for those of us who won’t be making and selling trees.

Sweet, foliage painting speedtrees :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed for a software-as-service model…

I don’t have experience with . I see that it can be used to make grass also. Or any vegetation I suppose?

My question: Can make grass that bends when collision occurs with rigid object (game character for example)?

Random example from youtube (yea, it’s Cinema 4D but same idea)

?v=62qsZF5g-4A

I am new to both UE and , so please forgive if this is a dumb question…

I’d like to know what the relation between your stand-alone tools like Architect and the soon-to-come UE4 specific is. Specifically, since you’re having a nice Spring sale :), if I buy Architect

• could I use trees modeled with it in UE4 without any additional licensing (assuming I hold myself back on the polycount…)
  • could I use foliage painting
  • would I miss any UE4 specific functionality
  • or do I have to buy the UE4 modeler anyway?

I am new to both UE and , so please forgive if this is a dumb question…

I’d like to know what the relation between your stand-alone tools like Architect and the soon-to-come UE4 specific is. Specifically, since you’re having a nice Spring sale :), if I buy Architect

• could I use trees modeled with it in UE4 without any additional licensing (assuming I hold myself back on the polycount…)
  • could I use foliage painting
  • would I miss any UE4 specific functionality
  • or do I have to buy the UE4 modeler anyway?
    [/QUOTE]

for UE4 will have a specific pipeline. Models you make with Architect (or Studio or Cinema) will work but they would have to be saved by the UE4-specific modeler app before they would work correctly (e.g. the imported model will have wind, LOD, etc) in UE4.

If you happen to already have a license for Architect or Studio, contact sales@ to discuss acquiring the UE4 version when it’s ready. If you don’t have anything yet, the best and least confusing path is to wait until the official for UE4 product is released. It works without caveats.

Is there an eta?

Any further infos on pricing?

Is there an eta?

Any further infos on pricing?
[/QUOTE]

I posted an update on another thread: https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?1173-Official-word-on--for-UE4-subscribers