User Tag List

Thread: Dynamic Grass System

Champion

Dynamic Grass System

NOW ON MARKETPLACE

Full feature list & starter guide: https://goo.gl/b0NSqj

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Slavq; 12-08-2016 at 08:54 AM.

That is some nice grass, if it works as well as the video I am going to buy
    how much

It looks really good. But I got one question. I find the wind and grass movement abit unrealistic and some grass looks like they sticked to each other so they move with the wind at the same time.

No offense btw. It looks amazing and I do plan to buy it already, but I was wondering if we can change/"fix" parameters of wind and change the grass? ^^
    Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
    That is some nice grass, if it works as well as the video I am going to buy
    how much
    Thanks, it should work exactly the same, until you modify it to your liking It will be $49.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleon View Post
    It looks really good. But I got one question. I find the wind and grass movement abit unrealistic and some grass looks like they sticked to each other so they move with the wind at the same time.

No offense btw. It looks amazing and I do plan to buy it already, but I was wondering if we can change/"fix" parameters of wind and change the grass? ^^
    Yes, it's a system that allows to use your own grass meshes. It's also possible to modify wind look in the material, by e.g. changing its radius, speed and normal map (the wind waves are defined by normal map texture and you change change it via parameters) - or by modifying the grass material itself. This way you can achieve more 'jagged' wind distribution - by default it's stylized to achieve visible wind waves. The default wind effect depends on material displacement, so you can even replace it with your own (just copy/paste from your material).
    ... So you can totally use your own grass and your own wind effect with the system

Quote Originally Posted by Slavq View Post
    Thanks, it should work exactly the same, until you modify it to your liking It will be $49.99.

Yes, it's a system that allows to use your own grass meshes. It's also possible to modify wind look in the material, by e.g. changing its radius, speed and normal map (the wind waves are defined by normal map texture and you change change it via parameters) - or by modifying the grass material itself. This way you can achieve more 'jagged' wind distribution - by default it's stylized to achieve visible wind waves. The default wind effect depends on material displacement, so you can even replace it with your own (just copy/paste from your material).
    ... So you can totally use your own grass and your own wind effect with the system
    Cheers. ^_^
    Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Nice work, quick question; How easy will it be to add callbacks for when grass is cut down? (For example, increase player health 10% every time they harvest from a particular type of grass)

Incredible work, I look forward to seeing this on the marketplace, no doubt it'll be accepted!

Cheers!

Samaritan
    This... this is amazing. I'll definitely be buying this! Would the impulse etc be compatible with your dynamic tree generator?

This looks fantastic. Is there any multiplayer support included? How is deformation stored?

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by daveREspawn View Post
    Nice work, quick question; How easy will it be to add callbacks for when grass is cut down? (For example, increase player health 10% every time they harvest from a particular type of grass)
    The special interactive foliage component has a 'Cut' function that takes instance index and Z-scale of cutting (so you can e.g. 'cut' half by setting it to 0.5 or cut near ground by setting to 0.1). Example grass cutter actor takes all instances in specified radius and performs the 'Cut' function on them, individually for each foliage type - so you can definitely add some checks there, e.g. if you cut 'FlowerOfHealth' foliage type, then increase your health. You can even add variable & store health amount in component separately for every foliage type, but of course the way of expanding the system is all up to you

Quote Originally Posted by hippowombat View Post
    Incredible work, I look forward to seeing this on the marketplace, no doubt it'll be accepted!

Cheers!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrekk View Post
    This... this is amazing. I'll definitely be buying this! Would the impulse etc be compatible with your dynamic tree generator?
    Impulse actor has different logic there, specific to the Dynamic Grass System. By default, impulse effect is performed by spawning 'Impulse' actor e.g. by a bomb. If you have both the tree & grass system, you can just spawn both of these Impulse actors, one for grass and one for trees and it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitrec View Post
    This looks fantastic. Is there any multiplayer support included? How is deformation stored?
    Thanks! I don't have multiplayer experience, so nothing out of the box yet - I tried to create the logic in clean & understandable way to make it expandable-friendly, but I don't know how hard it would be to add network replication. Temporary material deformation is stored ofc in GPU, and the rest (like the bend-away effect that leaves a 'trail' behind player) is stored directly in hierarchical instanced static meshes of foliage components. Deformation is performed by optimized (auto-chunked foliage areas, auto-optimized update interval, etc.) UpdateInstanceTransform function. So every instance transform can be obtained via GetInstanceTransform function of specified foliage component.

Thanks Slavq, looking forward to picking this up.

Very, Very, Very Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon I will have all your assets in my collection, and I sure want this one.

want now plz <3

(looks great)
    Trent Polack
    Founder & CEO of Joy Machine
    Steel Hunters, a third-person mech shooter with randomly-generated items and enormous enemies.
    @mittense | @joymachinegames

Champion
    Thanks! My submission has been approved 11 days ago, I'm still waiting for Epic's response regarding release date. I'll let you know here as soon as I have any info.
    Cheers!

Champion
    Update: The system will be available on December 7th!

ok, i just found both of your assets and ****, get ready for +2 sales. Just need to save some dough. Really going to help us out with level design.

This looks really awesome! Nice work! I've been looking for a grass system that does well on performance and also responds to character movement and dynamic impulses. Going to look at picking this up for later projects!

Champion
    Dynamic Grass System has been released and it's available on the Marketplace!

-solved- thanks for the help!
    Last edited by AgamemnonPrime; 01-22-2017 at 07:48 PM.