To Share Or Not To Share? That Is The Question

Howdy all :slight_smile:
I’ll keep it quick. I’m working on my first title.

Do you think it is a good idea or a bad idea to share everything on youtube as I progress? Oooooorr is the risk of having an idea stolen to high and should I pick selective things to share?
As I have progressed with my edumication so far I have recorded everything so I can show what it takes from start to finish. I’m just wondering since going forwards from where I am is all going to be creation of the actual game.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Lenny
http://www.hammer-on.com

The real problem that I think you’ll find is that it is too time consuming to develop your game and make quality you-tube content. I keep meaning to make another tutorial but it’s a choice, do I want to spend 2 hours on a blog post, or that 2 hours on fixing a bug or adding a feature the game needs?

I would pick selected things and develop them a real tutorial out of it that is stand alone from the rest of your project. And don’t share your assets, but it’s OK to show them. Having a development blog can be a way to generate interest in your game.

Don’t give it away is my advice. If you worked hard on your project it will either be worth money or it won’t, if it’s worth money don’t give it away. I’m just going to release my game, charge for it, release new versions then charge for that (just make it not uber expensive). You decide your business model and getting money for it is the way to go. Videos won’t market it as well as a quality game will market by word of mouth.

The more you share the better - helps the community and provides free exposure.

Ideas are super cheap - everyone has ideas - execution is the hard part.

And if nobody shared anything - well, we would all waste our time figuring out the same stuff.

That being said - what mikepurvis said is totally true…
it does take time which is often better spent working on your game.

If possible share what you can - but only if you have time and it is something you think other people would find value in…

Share Now! It will take time to build a following on YouTube and the quality will improve over time. It takes b@lls to produce and make your content . I personally value content that educates over that of pure entertainment, achieving both is the goal. I find myself ‘listening’ to game youtube dev vlogs will driving to work. There is a great deal of value in the Audio, so I’m gearing up to produce Youtube videos in a similar format with a Blue Yeti Mic, Bandicam, and HitFilm.

Thank you all so very much for the advice. Its really appreciated. I shall take a little bit from each suggestion. I will do videos of limited bits of information on the actual game, but I wont waste time on creating pretty content until the game can get into beta type phase. Also ,if I come a crossed things that might help the community I’ll toss together a quick tutorial guide on that. Done that a few times so far. But I will keep doing weekly videos to try to start building a crowd. But so so very true, if a game is good, it will stand on its own two feet. So I wont compromise that for making video content.
So yup yup yup
Thank you all

Okays after reading the posts again and watching this

Yeah, I’ll post my progress totally . I just will feel more comfortable if I dont say what the final product is until we get there. That way its exciting too :slight_smile: .
Thank you again