Modular research center [WIP]

Modular Research Center

**Current status: ** Environment is ready.

Looks like its nice and modular, and I realize its early in development, but one thing that stands out is how big those hallways are. Not sure if its just me, but the scale might be a tad too big? The character looks a bit small.

Ceiling height is 4 or 8 metres. Because it’s a research center, I think it’s normal to meet there some big robots, flying drones, etc. But I think I have to add more medium and small size props to remove such feelings. Right now there is only a big props, like supercomputer, which is 6 metres tall, that’s why I think you feel that. But I might be wrong…

UPD. For history purposes I leave first WIP video in this post.

Thanks for advices!

I watched video and tried this methods. r.HZBOcclusion 1 helped somehow, but it didn’t remove all artifacts. Using hollow static mesh to mask environment color is also not good for this situation. I have a skies, which I can’t turn off. Any other ideas how to completely remove them?

I have an idea to make outdoor walls set and put a whole building in a demo landscape. Didn’t tried it yet, because wasn’t sure about performance, but after your words I will try it.

I also realized that there is no such feeling that everything is big, when I’m using first person camera.

I played with colors, materials and lights to make environment more interesting visually.

Not too many changes today, because I spent around 2 days and did hundreds of lightmap rebuilds by experimenting with lightmass settings and UV for lightmaps.
Still have some issues, but now I know how to fix them.

a0350f0fe8b84b0339287d5a8f2cf8fc229f9d81.jpeg

e17e654630cf0b1dd2353fcf6b505468b011e4ad.jpeg

7ccba15e5b156942866d2f28c08b9f7e926f3bb7.jpeg

df6b0ecc6663ce7849d1460cea96821f7108e815.jpeg

Yep looks cool, keep up :wink:

I highly recommend that you put a person sitting in a chair, and another person standing up slightly off-center, for scale.
I agree that the scale feels slightly too big, even for cold-war era equipment halls :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think after adding the props it’s definietly reaffirmed my opinion that some of the corridors are just too big (eg, the red painted area). They are verrry wide. However for example the room with the earth hologram seems fine.

Sorry, I’m not planning to change ceiling height and size of the rooms, because they have to be wide by design. I want to make a feeling of spaciousness.

I think I found the best settings for lighting. Now I have no visible artifacts and a pretty good quality while most of my lightmaps have 64x64 resolution(walls and floors have 128x128). To build a whole level on production quality I need only a 2 hours.

b8c6c54f8b1f1a3b05cf87b1303326e021fe463a.jpeg

f238b084fdac3df65def62ff6e4e5fd4dedeb0b2.jpeg

03c4cbccf3da416454d822608945652ae50826fe.jpeg

That’s a very striking tree in the foyer area. Good looking!

Also, I think the thing that bugs me about the scale is the chair-sofas everywhere.
Why are people supposed to sit in line in a giant equipment conveyance corridor?
Maybe there’s a great gameplay reason for this? :slight_smile:

There are a lot of doors in this building. And people could seat, while they wait in line.

Will you be putting this on the marketplace?

All rooms in a basic complectation now are ready.
Now it’s time to add details, polish everything and make some optimizations to complete this environment.

Environment is ready.

My goal has been reached. I learned how to make modular environments from scratch, how to configure lights and reflections, how to optimize level, how to use sequencer and a lot more.
I think I made a good basis for the near-future environment, which can be extended by additional props to suit different needs of different types of games.
I will try to publish this environment to UE marketplace. But because I used 4.14 for making it, I have to wait for the new UE4 release and after that around 1 month to complete submission process.
And now it’s time to find a new project…