The Dog Handler Show

**You can find and download a free Early Access version of the game **HERE

The idea

For the July 2016 “Epic Game Jam” I over 3 days made the game “The Dog Handler Show”. I liked this game so much that I decided to keep developing on the game. Now I have worked on this for nearly a half year and I still love the game, and I have therefore also decided to share with you, what I have made until now and what I hope to do with the game in the future.

The game

My idea for the game was and is to make a relatively simple, logic and fun first person puzzle game. For this game I am inspired by games like Portals and Q.U.B.E…

In this game you are a Dog Handler, and you are a participant in a tv game show called “The Dog Handler Show”. In the show you and your very obedient dog have to solve a lot of different puzzles tougher. The goal of the game to solve all the puzzles and in the end win the tv game show.

I hope this game will be a very relaxed, family friendly and fun puzzle game.

The Game Mechanics

To make the puzzles with, I have until now made the following things:

• 2 different kinds of “floor buttons”
  • 3 different kind of doors.
  • 2 different hand pressed buttons
  • A stick
  • A bone
  • Lifts/Elevators
  • Sliding platforms
  • Water
  • A all
  • 2 different kinds of timers/delays
  • Rotating bridges
  • Player toggled switches
  • A magic machine
    • some more.

Now and the future

Right now i mostly working on making test levels and making some new and fun game mechanics. In the future will I alos be work more on the game’s story and make some music for the game. It is here very important for me to say, that game is still in a very early part of its development, so much can and will be changed over time.

Leave a comment

This is a game made by me alone, so therefor would I really like to hear if you have some ideas, thoughts, comments or you have something else you want to say about the game. All comments are welcome, but please be polite. To help you see what I have done until now, I have uploaded a free early access version of the game on Game Jolt. I promise that the version of the game I have on Game Jolt, will be updated when I have something new to share with you. So HEREyou can download the game.

Here are some of the things you help me with:

• Ideas for new, fun, and interesting puzzle game mechanics.
  • Other gameplay ideas. For example a new game mode where the dog has to make different kind of tricks, instead of solving puzzles.
  • Ideas for the story in the game.
  • Tell me about bugs or other problems with the game.

Thank you for your attention. You are by the way, very welcome to try the early access version of game HERE, and if you do, you are also very welcome leave a comment on the game.

Two new levels and two new game mechanics

New test levels and new game mechanics

I have now uploaded a new version of the game “The Dog Handler Show” on Game Jolt. You can try the early access version of the game HERE.

New levels
In this newest version of the game there is two new levels. This means that the game now have 14 levels in total.

**New game mechanics **
I have also this time made two new game mechanics:

• Sliding platforms
  • Two different kind of timers.

Other changes
As always I have made a few bug fixes. I have also made some small visual changes, and I have made one more wallpaper.

What will happen next
For the next big update I especially hope to make some more levels. New game mechanics will also come later, but this will not be the main focus for the next update. A small update for the game will perhaps happen within a few days, but I will not tell more about this now.

You can come and try the newest version of “The Dog Handler Show”. You find it HERE. If you play the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment. Especially if you have some helpful thoughts or ideas.

A small update
I have now uploaded the fifth version of my game “The Dog Handler Show” on Gamejolt. You can try the early version of game HERE.

a46163b597da725fde79ac55278546fa2a5fa454.jpeg

One more level
I have for this version of the game made one more test level. This means that the game now has 15 levels in total.

Other changes
In this very small update, I have made a few changes in level 14. I have also made a few very small visual changes in some of the other levels.

And as always are you very welcome to come and try “The Dog Handler Show” HERE. And if you do try the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment with both ideas and thoughts about the game.

More test levels, new game mechanics and the ganes first alpha review

New levels
I have made 4 new test levels for game, this means that the game now have 18 levels.

New game mechanics
I have for the newest version of the game made two new game mechanics.

• A rotating bridge. (See the first image) This bright rotates when the dog stand on the one platform/button and the player stand on the other platform/brights.
  • A switch/handle the player can toggle on/off. (See the second image)

Other changes
Here under is a list of small changes I have made for the game

• One new wallpaper.
  • A few new soundeffect, including the sound of footsteps when the player/dog handler walks around.
  • As always I have made some bug fixes.

First review
I have received the first review of the game. The review was form the “Alpha Beta Gamer”. You can read it here.

And as always are you very welcome to come and try “The Dog Handler Show” HERE. And if you do try the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment with both ideas and thoughts about the game.

And now there is Music

I have now uploaded a new version of the game. For this version I have mostly focused on making music, but I have also made a few other changes.

All The changes
Here is a list of the changes I have made for this version of the game.

• All the music in the game is now made by me. For this update I have made about 6 new melodies. You find the music in the intro, in the background, as game over indicators, and as success indicators.
  • The intro is totally new.
  • The dog owner’s dialog is changed a bit.
  • There are some small changes in level design and graphics.
  • And then there are a lot small bug fixes.

And as always you are very welcome to come and try “The Dog Handler Show” HERE. And if you do try the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment with both ideas and thoughts about the game.

The New Dog
I have just uploaded a new version of the game. In this version of the game, I have made a total new mesh for the dog. This is not the final version of the new dog, but I just wanted to share what I have made until now.

Other updates

• I have made some small changes for the music
  • And I have made some very small changes in the player commands sounds

And as always you are very welcome to come and try “The Dog Handler Show” HERE. And if you do try the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment with both ideas and thoughts about the game.

A big update

I have over the last four months made a lot of work on my game “The dog handler show”. The game is still not done, but it is playable, and is now much more visual beautiful. You can try the game for free here . If you do try the game, you are super welcome to leave a comment here on this page, or on the Game Jolt page.

TheDogHandlerShow05.jpg

What is New

Graphics
The most important part of this update is that I have made a lot of updates for the graphics in the game. Here is a list of some of the changes

• The “stand on buttons” has now a completely new more detailed mesh.
  • Most meshes has been updated and has new and improved textures and materials.
  • I have made a lot of new and improved decorations. Some of the new things is Pillars, window/door/floor sills, planets, spotlights, roof, doghouse and picture frames.
  • I have also made some new wallpapers.
  • And the levels is now light with spotlights.

Sound

• There is made some changes to the sound effects, plus there is include a bit more sound effects.
  • There is now 3 more music loops in the game.

New Game Mechanics

• There is now two new hand pressed button.
  • There is also a new magic machine that changes bones into sticks, and changes sticks into bones.

Other changes

• There is 3 new levels, this means that the game now has 21 levels.
  • All the levels are totally remade. (But only small changes in the level design)
  • All walls and floors is changed.
  • Most UI is changed and improved.
  • The dog animations is a bit smoothed and improved.
  • I have made a lot of small bug fixes, and some small performance improvements.
  • I have also made a lot of other small changes.

If you have not jet have played the game, it is now time to come and try “The Dog Handler Show”. You find it here. If you do play the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment. You are especially welcome to leave a comment if you have some helpful thoughts or ideas about the game.

The latest new I have just uploaded a new alpha version of the game, so you can find and try the new version of the game *here**. *

What is new

New Dog Handler
The Dog Handler has now a body and some simple animations. I have also made a small update for the voice acting. This is the first real step to include the story in the game.

Improved sound effects
Most of the sound effects has been changed, and they are hopefully much better now.

Improved level visuals
I have given the wall some simple wall panels. I have also improved the lighting of the levels.

Improved dog animations
I have improved the dog animations, and especially focused on the transition between the animations.

Level titles
The levels has now titles. You can see the level title when the level starts.

Other small changes
I have a also made some bug fixes, and I also made some small changes in the game menu’s.

If you have not jet have played the game, it is now time to come and try “The Dog Handler Show”. You find it here. If you do play the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment. You are especially welcome to leave a comment if you have some helpful thoughts or ideas about the game.

Freaking Adorable!

Very cool concept! The Portal inspiration is definitely there, but mixing it with dogs makes it very unique. I look forward to it!

@TinkerTyler and @Krayfishkarl thank you for the positive feedback.

It has been a long time since I last have written about the development of the game “The Dog Handler Show”. It is important for me to say that this game still is under development, and it is still not nearly done. The main focus right now is to make the game ready to implement it’s story.

To show you what is happening with the game, I have uploaded the 16th version of the game, and you can download it for free here. In this version of the game, the story is still not included.

What has changed

• The Main Menu animation is now faster and shorter.
  • The dog collects/places the bones/sticks faster.
  • The voice acting has been changed. (Still not super great)
  • The dogs mesh is changed a bit.
  • The visuals has got a lot of small upgrades.
  • The game has now a new game logo.
  • The HUD has changed. (Improved graphics and better animations)
  • A lot of small bug fixes.
  • And much more.

If you play the game, you are very welcome to leave a comment/feedback. You are especially welcome to leave a comment, if you have some helpful thoughts or ideas about the game.