Temporal AA artefacts

Hi,

I have a strange problem with temporal AA producing huge artefacts on certain backgrounds…(bearbeitet)
Its almost as if Im painting a grafitto on a wall with the player…

I made a short video to illustrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSuMBa9DjrA

Notice that, while the artefacts are present on the concrete walls, the container texture remains free of artefacts.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Klaus

You should show what it looks like with tempAA disabled. usually this only happens for very noisy materials when tempAA is doing too much heavy lifting to smooth it out. in those cases the problem is usually lack of mip maps or overly strong detail normals etc.

Without Temporal AA, ther is no “ghosting”, but hard edges come out all crisp (obviously).
I can make an update video without TAA and also shoiw the material/texture setup…

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

It is not the lack of ghosting that will be of interest but the amount of noise in the wall without anti aliasing. This is a known artifact that happens when moving objects move past noisy surfaces.

I second this! Also had this happen with a concrete wall, try to soften the normal map.

@
Ah ok.

Here is the test footage with Temporal AA disabled.
The effect seems to have disappeared (along with the anti aliasing).
However, on the last wall in the video, the effect also occurs, even with TAA disabled.

https://youtu.be/vXQsE7rJyqw

So there seems another issue present, unrelated to TAA.

This is the texture/normal map of the last wall in the video…

EDIT: Just saw that Youtube garbled up the material screenshot.
So here it is in full beauty:

And the material where the effect also occurs with TAA disabled is surprisingly simple…
An instance of this:

Is it me, or it is only occurring in the shadow with TAA disabled?

So, it is a known issue afterall :

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-33269

I just wonder why it occurs even with TAA disabled…:confused:

I am having trouble making out the artifact in the video with TAA off since the video is not HD and fairly compressed. If there still is something occurrings, it is likely related to motion blur. Do all the textures in that material have mips?

Also that is material is set to metallic which is a bit odd for concrete. Can you check if your cubemap used for skylight (if any) has mips as well? Using HDRIs without mips can also cause issues where roughness won’t work correctly.

@

Yeah, youtube screwed up for no reason… Its around 00:47 in the video… the sidewall of the staircase.

Here is a still from the footage:

Yeah. I had changed that to 0 after taking the screenshot. Even with 0 it still occurs.

The textures have all mips. The skylight is the same from the template.

By the way: I have experimented a bit with No TAA vs FXAA vs TAA.
There are some peculiar effects, even on bare black materials.
Some occur with FXAA but not with TAA and vice versa.

Ill make another video tomorrow (its getting late on this side of the planet) to show the various combinations.
Maybe that even helps figuring out whats going on.

@KVogler
Try turning off SSR, if its enabled, to see if it fixes the issue.

@

Didnt fix it :frowning:

Did you also try what suggested regarding MIP maps? are there any MIPs in the textures you use?

Also try to play with motion blur settings and see if that helps things a bit :slight_smile:

Umm, …I just remembered, KVogler is on 4.13.1 and isn’t there a tool to inspect how a pixel was shaded? Perhaps this tool might help to shed some light on the issue (all puns are intended)

The textures are appearantly all mipped out. And I didnt remove any…

Hi,

So, here is another video, showcasing the ghosting effect with varous AA methods in combination with motion blur.

https://youtu.be/V_KlyC35YG0
(although youtube made the video a bit blurry again, you can still see the relevant stuff)

FXAA seems to cause artefacts on simple colored materials, while reducing the ghosting on others.
Motion blur does not seem to have any effect on the visual outcome.
A material overview is shown at the end of the video.

Its probably screen space ambient occlusion then. Have you tried turning that off? Not sure why I forgot to mention it before. SSAO uses a kind of temporal filter to reduce noise in its low sample count data.

@

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:
I tried with SSAO off, but the effects were about the same, so no influence from there.

But then I played a bit around with screen space reflections.
It seems that the artefacts on the single color materials in FXAA are caused by the SSRs.

The effects scales directly with the Max rougnesss setting.
When lowering that value to 0.15 or lower, the artefacts are gone.
Also raising the quality level from its default setting improves the overall quality.

These are the PPV settings:

So with these settings, artefacts are gone.
However, the player character looks now a bit more glossy/shiny…

Whatever is causing you those issues, it gotta rely on data from previous frames to produce ghosting.
List of features that may use information from previous frames:

• TAA
  • SSR
  • SSAO
  • DFAO
  • Motion Blur

I might have omitted something, but by disabling/enabling them one by one, you should be able to narrow down the issue.

Capsule shadows. Adaptive tonemapper. Occlusion culling.