Character Ghosting with Temporal AA

Hey folks,

I realize I may be beating a dead horse, but is there any plan to fix the character ghosting happening with temporal AA? I have included a gif & video below to demonstrate of what I am speaking.

Thanks,

B

It’s happening because of the noisy background - the method can’t detect which pixels in the foreground have moved due to the noisy background. As a workaround you can avoid noisy backgrounds.

You can also try changing
#define AA_DYNAMIC_ANTIGHOST 0
to
#define AA_DYNAMIC_ANTIGHOST 1

in PostProcessTemporalAA.usf. It’s an experiment so disabled by default, but attempts to fix ghosting around dynamic objects like this.

Hey ,

Thanks for the reply, I will try this and get back to you.

I tried that looks like give a better result

I’m not familiar with coding as I mostly use blueprints, could you please give me detailed instructions on where to find PostProcessTemporalAA.usf?

Ran into this recently, almost a night and day change regarding the ghosting (was on a 4.12 project, but still). Looked in 4.15 and this is not enabled still, wondering why that is as it significantly impacts the ghosting and blends it in much better.

This is also another useful thread for sharpening that together makes TXAA much more better than what you get out of the box.

I also ran into this a while ago. Made some testing back then…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KlyC35YG0

Any roadmap when it comes to anti aliasing and these features? Would like to use the antighosting without running from source.

Also, any long term plans for AGAA? http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2016/AGAA_UE4_SG2016_6.pdf

I checked the code and it seems that antighost is already enabled by default, at least in 4.16

Still set to 0 it looks like in my 4.16.2 source folder.

This was turned on by default in 4.15 via CL#3201346 in Dev-Rendering:

Temporal AA fix for correct edge gradients.

Filtering now combined with importance sampling.
Enabled Catmull-Rom resolve filter. Results are now slightly sharper.
Fixed antighosting. Will yet require a dilation to be perfect.
Optimized bicubic filtering to 5 taps instead of 9.
Cleaned out unused code.

Cheers,
Noland

thanks for the info.
sadly even with antighost and the other 4.15 changes TemporalAA is still producing more harm than good in most cases. is it planned for it to be improved?

Could you try with these settings? Sharp Temporal AA - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums