AutoLightmapUEr, a plugin that automatically adjusts lightmap sizes for every mesh in your map

header.png
What is it?
AutoLightmapUEr is a one click Unreal Engine editor plugin that allows you to easily enforce consistency of lightmap density across your level, saving precious memory and reducing lighting build times.

AutoLightmapUEr goes through your level and adjusts every mesh’s lightmap resolution according to its size in the world and the preset values you specify. Need a new preset for a specific project? You can add your own, finetuned to work just the way you need.

• Reduce your lighting build times with minimal visual impact
  • Keep static shadow sharpness consistent across all your level’s props
  • Instantly save untold memory and disk space (ideal for mobile games)

New in version 1.1

• “All” mode now also works correctly on (Hierarchical) Instanced Static Mesh Components.
    Before, UE returned the extents of the surrounding volume of all the instances together, apparently.
  • “All” mode now also works with freshly added blueprint actors.
    Blueprint actors that were freshly added to a map return multiple copies for an AActor Iterator (seemingly one per component?),
    which could lead to sometimes picking the wrong lightmap size if only some components were scaled.
  • “Clear tags” button moved and changed from just an “X” to a more clear label
  • Cleared up how the values are used, with expanded tooltips: the “extent” values are the half-length from the center by default.
    There is now also a new option that switches calculation to full-length, if you prefer, for your own presets.
    (Note that the values for the 2 default presets don’t get changed by default.)
  • You can now use folder names to override the currently selected preset.
    Actors inside a folder whose name matches that of a preset, will use that preset to calculate lightmap sizes.
  • New “Go deep” toggle that will propagate the lightmap change to the meshes themselves, and their various LOD levels.
    Was added because some people encountered strange unreproducible effects with lightmap overrides working backwards for lower LOD levels.
    You shouldn’t need this, normally, but if you run into any trouble, you might maybe give it a try?

New in version 1.2

• You can now also use the actual surface area of the actor’s static mesh for calculations, if you prefer.
    Note that none of the default presets were made with this in mind, so you’ll have to roll your own.
    (The plugin lists all surface areas it’s calculated in the output log to give you an idea of the values to use)

Confused? Maybe these comparison images will help.

Where do I buy it?
You can get the current version on itch.io and gumroad

And the Marketplace?
Go here.

Is rad, can confirm

Oh god yes.

Just bought this yesterday. I love it :slight_smile:

Pushed Release Candidate 2, mostly to fix UI problems.

would love to see this in the marketplace tomorrow, miiight hold off purchase until it is, in the mean time, here’s a bump

Thanks!
I’m probably going to have to poke them again, since the “1-2 weeks for code review” are pretty much up.

4.13 build up on the itch.io and gumroad marketplaces.
Haven’t heard back anything from Epic about the marketplace release yet.

Just a quick heads-up that the Epic Marketplace version should appear at the end of the month.

Hello,
I purchased this to work in a 4.13 source build and cannot get it to work. Is the 4.13 version for launcher binary builds only? If so, I don’t see it mentioned anywhere.

Check now.
I’d forgotten I’d pushed back upping the source version until I got through the Epic submission process, which got delayed longer than I expected.

Ok, so since I purchased on Gumroad will that be added to my purchase once the marketplace version is live?

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no easy way to do this.
All I could do is send a message to the epic marketplace team and hope they can take care of it.

(as a marketplace creator yourself, you should know this)

I’m confused. I purchased from Gumroad. Are you saying that you are not going to update the Gumroad purchases with a plugin that works with source builds of UE4?

All I am after is for the plugin to work with our 4.13 source build.

I… already have.
You should have gotten an email from gumroad to that effect, but if not, just check your gumroad page.

Wires must have gotten crossed.
Thought you were asking if the marketplace version would be added to your epic purchases when it went live.

No worries.

I got the email and the 4.13 zip from Gumroad, but it only includes the DLL, plugin file and 2 resource files. It does not work with source builds of the engine. Maybe I missed it?

EDIT: I just went back and looked and see the source zip file now, but I swear it wasn’t there before. :slight_smile:

And the Epic Marketplace version is now available.

We will be tested in production… : )

That is a fuc…ng great tool ! Gratz and thanks ! :wink:

Hello,

Just bought your plugin and it seems to be a great timesaver
(we create architectural visualization scenes tons of assets to deal with … as you can see on our website www.obvioos.com)

I’m a little bit confused with your concept of “largest extent”
I tought it apply a lightmap size regarding the size of the longest side of the object’s bounding box
So I tested with a simple cube and the values doesn’t seems to match (screenshot below)
Are the values in Unreal units ? (so in my case 1 units equals 1cm)
It’s not a big deal, but I just want to be sure I understood everything

Anyway, you tool is reallllllly cool

Best (and sorry for my bad English)