Question - Top Down Sketch to UE4 Workflow

I am trying to figure out different workflows of working with top-down sketches (multiplayer level layouts) to see what works best for me.

1. After you create a top down sketch/level layout on paper, how do you work with it in/for UE4?
  2. Could this workflow be improved upon?: create top down sketch> take a picture> upload to PC> import to UE4> set as a texture> apply to geometry> then scale it up until satisfied with the scale> begin to blockout/add geometry on top?
  3. Is there a better/simpler way than having to guesstimate the scale of the image once imported to UE4?
  4. Do you simply work from a top down sketch on paper? (ie. not imported to PC nor UE4?)
  5. Is there some type of functionality in UE4 similar to an Image Plane from Maya?

Thank you.

Edit: I should have specified, I’m currently working on multiplayer levels.

Anyone know?

its hard to answer some of that b/c of what game are you making. Start with topdown template, import sketch assign to BSP scale it to the “right” size based on the character dimensions, throw in boxes and BSP shapes, test. Make an AI system, does it need certain pathing? test, rework sketch test. Cover system? Sneak system? Fog of war? quest system where you test for distances? Lots of factors.
I would say do the fastest method, testing and trying things is so key. But in many games everything in connected and testing early only give you an idea of how it will be. As features get added they can affect other areas of design.

I’m not talking about the features that go into the level, I meant specifically how do you work with a top down sketch? (ie. do you leave the sketch on paper as a reference, do you import the sketch into UE4 and build directly on top of it/etc)

then yes I would import the sketch place it on a BSP cube and scale that up to work on top of.

Are there more efficient/other ways of using the top down sketches for multiplayer levels?

you could make the blockout in a 3d programm and “extrude” the z-axis there. then import the model into ued.
But my ways are these within UEd:
a) source a pencil sketch on paper from customer:

b) source a real-world architectural floor-plan from customer. use finally metrics, U.S.A.!