Unreal Engine 4 is available for Win10 UWP app dev now

GitHub + Docs
Readme Updated 2016.07.20 @ 1:46PM

Microsoft has developed Universal Windows Platform (UWP) support for Unreal Engine 4, and has released the source code on GitHub as a fork of Epic Games’ UE4 repository. This code is now available to all UE4 licensees under the terms of the UE4 license, which provide for source code redistribution and use.

This code is provided by Microsoft “as is” with no warranty. This information and other FAQ updates will be published to the Readme.MD file inside the repository itself. Follow the instructions below to get access.

Instructions to share with others
Access the UE4 UWP fork here: https:///MICROSOFT-XBOX-ATG/MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL
If you see a 404 page, you need to complete the enrollment process:

• Create a GitHub account.
  • Follow the instructions to associate your Epic Program account with your GitHub account.
  • Join the Epic GitHub Org (from the email invitation you receive after Step 3)

You should be able to access the Microsoft UWP Unreal fork on GitHub and the Readme.MD with more information.

Community & Support**
This project is community-supported, with periodic updates from Microsoft’s Xbox Advanced Technology Group (ATG) to help accelerate game development for UWP.
Feel free to join the discussion on the Unreal Engine forums at: https://forums.unrealengine.com/forumdisplay.php?29-Engine-Source-amp-GitHub. Xbox program partners can ask questions on the forums at https://developer.xboxlive.com.

Getting Started with UWP Game Development
New to UWP? A general overview of UWP development, tooling (packaging, debugging), and requirements (Store configuration, publishing, etc.) is here: Microsoft Game Dev. Ready to build UWP games? More game-specific, end to end UWP development guidance - curated by game developers for game developers - is included in the link above, but you can go directly to that guide here: Windows game development guide - UWP applications | Microsoft Learn Xbox Live
Xbox program partners can also request an Xbox Live-ready UWP branch of the Unreal 4 Engine through their Microsoft Developer Account Manager (DAM).

DISCLAIMER
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE

Nice! Would be even better if integrated into the engine, but I guess we’ll get there eventually.

Very nice, we’ve been talking about this for a few weeks since we wanted to get Unreal working on the instead of Unity. While there is much more work to do on that front and not knowing the pitfalls it seems like we should be able to get at least get it rendering objects using Unreal to start as a DirectX UWP application. Next step would be integrating the APIs.

lol This is funny, judging by how much doesn’t like them haha

Wow.

This is amazing. A godsend.

Inb4 dev on UE4. :wink:

Do you know where their (Microsoft’s) “project centennial” fits into the picture? It seems it might be easier to create a store app that way then using a forked version.

Awesome :slight_smile: That’s a great gift. Thanks!

Except that having a forked version means it can also be compiled to run on ARM. Which is a major advantage, as it opens to the possibility of getting UE4 to run on non-desktop devices, like Windows 10 Mobile, , Surface Hub, Windows 10 IoT, etc…

wow wow wow amazing

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK

I’m shocked :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

actually has x86 processor architecture. But alas, UWP support magnifies the already great functionality of UE4 for cross platform development.

I am currently developing for the , and my mentor and I are very excited to use Unreal instead of Unity.

Cheers! :cool:

UE4 already runs on Android and iOS, so it already is compiled to run on ARM.
Perhaps you’re talking specifically about UWP-on-ARM? The main constraint there is UWP, not ARM.

Separately, I actually agree with – it seems pretty clear that Microsoft’s end goal is to try to create a closed store, similar to Google Play Store, for Windows apps, and thus extract a pound of flesh from each app developer.

Yeah, I meant Windows on ARM.

Btw, I have a problem. When I run Setup.bat, I get the following error:

I’m slightly ****** off, because with the awful internet connection I have here, It’s taken all day to download. Just to fail at 99%. Any solutions?

EDIT: Moving everything to the C:/ root fixed it.

1 Like

Cool, didn’t think of that!

I cant compile the editor, i dont get any error with setub.bat or GenerateProjectFiles.bat, however while compile in visual studio I get these errors.
Error LNK1181 no se puede abrir el archivo de entrada ‘d3dx11.lib’ ShaderCompileWorker D:\MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL-release_uwp\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\LINK 1
Error Failed to produce item: D:\MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL-release_uwp\Engine\Binaries\Win64\ShaderCompileWorker-ShaderFormatD3D.dll ShaderCompileWorker D:\MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL-release_uwp\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR 1
Error MSB3075 El comando “…\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat ShaderCompileWorker Win64 Development -waitmutex” ShaderCompileWorker C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 37
Error LNK1181 no se puede abrir el archivo de entrada ‘silk_common.lib’ UE4 D:\MICROSOFT_UWP_UNREAL-release_uwp\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\LINK 1

im compiling → development editor → win64 → ue4

Project Centeenial can only work on PC’s Store. UWP can work on Win10M /Win10 / Xbox One (with Win10 Update, and u dont need to buy development machine) and even Win10 Iot.

amazing. hopefully this comes to

UWP can be run on other store too just like APK. And it is more console like to prevent piracy… If u agree Android is a free platform, then UWP is a free platform plus security check. If y disagree MS, then u may also boycott Apple(OSX (MAC OX)/iOS) app. It is
conflict to work for ios but not UWP.

BTW IMO, if u agree Open will be good for human’s future, then the decision may rely on Engine user but not the Engine provider. User may also have the right to decide go on UWP or not but not defined “doing close thing” by Epic.

Would I be correct in assuming that apps developed in this branch of UE4 could be run on an xBone in dev mode ? Albeit with limited resources.