Fish

I’m very proud to announce Fish.

Fish
Add Fish to your game environments, Drag and drop easy.
These Fish will swim to random Water Targets while using 4 trace obstacle avoidance. You can also play as a Fish (3rd Person). Easy setup, just drag some Water Targets into your level, and add some NPC Fish. Use blocking volumes to limit your fish’s movement however you see fit. It’s that easy.

Fish Includes:

• 3 Rigged and animated Fish skeletal meshes (Trout, Bluegill, and Tuna)
  • 6 Animations
  • 9 Animation Blueprints
  • 9 NPC Fish Blueprints
  • 3 Game modes (Auto Fish, Play as Fish, and Spectator Mode)
  • 3 sample Maps
  • High resolution textures (2K) and materials
  • 3 Physics Assets
  • 6 Fish Skins (3 each)
  • LOD’s

Splash.jpg

2 Likes

This looks interesting - how much will it cost and when might it be available?

This look good can’t wait!

Very nice work. I would have 2 questions. First, for me this package alone is worth to buy just for animations even if anything else is not suitable for my project, and i am sure many people would agree since fish can generally be cross rigged to single rig i think it would be great if you could provide original rig with animations from 3ds max or Maya, the software where you animated them.
Second question would be, how performance intensive is 4 traced obstracle avoidance? Can you provide some FPS numbers, would be much apretiated.

Here is a longer video showing the obstacle avoidance that these Fish use.
This is the AutoPlayFish game mode, in this mode a camera is strapped to an NPC Fish and you can draw its trace lines with a right mouse click.
This NPC Fish swims to random Water Targets- and everything in-between is obstacle avoidance.

Fish will be $44, and will be available once it makes its way through the approval process- usually a couple of weeks.
I have 161 Fish swimming around in the demo level and I’m getting 56-62 FPS on my mid level Nvidia card (GeForce 970).

1 Like

Looks very pro, gg :wink:

I really like the name, its perfect.

looks very good. Definetely interested in it !
some question:

• is the underwater postprocess effect and the water caustics effect included ?
  • will you add other fish to the package in the future ?
  • will we be able to add own fish to the project ? (can we exchange models easily )
  • will there be the origonal max/maya ?? templates included, so we can use them for other fish species ?

really cool work !
stucki

Here are some static shots of the Fish interacting with their environment.

Yes, the Post-Process Volume and Caustic Lights are included with Fish.
Keep in mind you can always Right Click a Skeletal Mesh (Right Click > Asset Actions > Export) and Export it as an FBX, which you can open in Max or Maya.
Also, as with all my assets, I will continue to develop Fish as long as you the Community continue to support it. So yes, more Fish will be added :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks very nice and fluid, just the obstracle avoidance itself makes it very realistic in terms of movement.
Myself and looks like some other people would really preffer if you can include original rigs from Maya or Max, exporting skeleton from UE4 into fbx removes all IKs and rig helpers, however i think that it might be good enough to re-rig it into another fish without animation quallity data loss. Not sure would have to try it out.

Very nice. I’m very interested in this, however a few questions:

1. Is it blueprint only or c++ as well?

2. Would it be hard to implement a move to node for a specific actor/target? I.e. make a fish go to a specific point?

3. Is it using the standard navigational system for pathing?

4. How do you specify where the fish can swim? A volume box or is it more complex?

Looks fantastic. Might pick it up for our project.

Fish is built entirely with Blueprint.
As far as pathing- these fish will swim to random Water Targets and avoid things in their way.
If you need them to follow a specific path of Water Targets you could set that up relatively easily.
instead of using a random Water Target you could set it up to have the Water Target tell the Fish where the next Water Target is (As a variable). or something along those lines.
Unreal doesn’t yet have a standard navigational system for ariel movement (non ground based) so we are stuck with node based movement for now :frowning:
I’m using blocking volumes to keep the fish contained where I want them.

Thanks for the reply. Might have to buy a copy when it gets released :slight_smile:

Hey, just a quick question, do fish have mouth bones?

yes they do, also fin and eye bones as well. :slight_smile:

8bfb55665036c2cc592d8895c3950fc47223c8bd.jpeg

When is this launching?

Fish will go live next wednesday, 8-24

quite a lot of bones for just a few fish.
I would suggest a vertex-animated version of the fish as well, as that can be an extreme performance boost (depending on the amount of fish etc)
Its, afaik also the way they did the massive school of fish in Abzu.

Great work though, cant believe it took so long before anybody made a proper fish-school setup :slight_smile:

Thank you Luos, and I will look into the vert animation.