User Tag List

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 1,001 to 1,007 of 1007

Thread: VR (OpenVR) Expansion Plugin

Hi again Mordentral! I have been trying to switch a pawn from being a child of VRCharacter to being a child of VRSimpleCharacter.

The one issue I have is the components (VRSceneComponent, VRReplicatedCamera, etc) are not parented to each other correctly after the switch. it is not possible to reorder them.
    Would this be fixed if I tried to specify attachments in the VRSimpleCharacter class? I saw a thread with a similar issue:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...omponents.html
    Appreciate any pointers!
    Michael Wentworth-Bell - 3D Generalist / Virtual Reality Designer
    Reel Pictures
    Melbourne, Australia

Personal Folio Website: http://thelode.com.au/
    Creator of Espire 1 - VR Stealth game: Espire1.com

Quote Originally Posted by mordentral View Post
    In the interaction settings for the drawer component you need to change the Initial location and min / max location values. That is how the non physics drawers know when and where to start / stop movement.

If you changed the mesh and location it will have the wrong settings for those.

Thank you very much morendral.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwbell View Post
    Hi again Mordentral! I have been trying to switch a pawn from being a child of VRCharacter to being a child of VRSimpleCharacter.

The one issue I have is the components (VRSceneComponent, VRReplicatedCamera, etc) are not parented to each other correctly after the switch. it is not possible to reorder them.
    Would this be fixed if I tried to specify attachments in the VRSimpleCharacter class? I saw a thread with a similar issue:
    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...omponents.html
    Appreciate any pointers!

Mmmm, I went in and based the two characters on the same BaseVRCharacter awhile back to make it easier to do just this (so I could make BP for VRCharacter and just copy as Simple to save me time). However it does throw an assert in code (about parent relationships) that I just ignore since I run from Visual Studio that may be blocking you attempting to do the same thing in just the editor.

Open visual studio, change the top from Development With Editor to Debug With Editor, press f5, wait for the editor to load, re-parent the BP class again and when it asserts hit continue in the popup box. The conversion should work fine, its just being overzealous about it.

I'll note though, that if you are doing this to save time with AI dealing with player location (I assume that is the problem?) that its probably not actually worth it. Simple character is missing the walking override that you may want and the neck offset, it also isn't currently rotating the base character only translating it. There are ways around AI by using an aim location offset by the capsule for instance.

Even RoboRecall is checking if the aimed target is a VR character and if so is using the camera location instead of actor location, some times casting is fairly necessary.

*Edit* I will also note that the VRCharacter "Should" be returning the correct location for pathing too, its target point is overridden in the code.

*Edit2* Should I make a custom AI Controller to handle the VRCharacters? It would be really easy to do and could just be set as the controller for AI then and it would handle my VRCharacters and SimpleVRCharacters natively then.

*Edit3* Don't want more posts - Already made a custom AI Controller that checks for VR characters and adjusts facing rotation and line of sight to checks. Can't find anything else in there that really needs an override.
    Last edited by mordentral; 04-25-2017 at 09:40 AM.

The plugin already quantizes the vectors and compresses the rotations to shorts prior to replication. However I did go in yesterday to clean it up a bit and set it up so the quantization level could be configurable instead of just whatever default I use. I have it defaulted to 100/2 decimals of accuracy and 10/1 should be enough for mm level accuracy. Technically with only replicating the relative pos within the tracked space I can also provide an extreme mode that reduces it even farther.

Also there is a replication speed setting on all of the plugin replicated objects that you can reduce below the default 100 htz (at 90 fps this will trigger every frame) there is naive smoothing that you can turn on that will lerp in between updates at lower htz settings. The smoothing needs rate balancing and some additional checks but since you are working with so much data I guess now would be a good time to take a look at that again.
    An option to toggle the quantization level would be great to have. Thanks for pointing me to the replication speed setting and smoothing. I hadn't seen those. I switched to 50 hz plus smoothing and that was enough to fix the network hitching I was seeing client side with my testing setup of just two players with 3 trackers each. Smoothing wasn't noticeable. The extreme mode sounds interesting. Curious what you would plan on using there?

Hi there!
    I'm trying to make a rifle that i can hold with two hands. But sadly there are 2 problems. (and I'm using the example template.) Can you help me out?

First problem is when I want to let go of the rifle's forend ('VRGripS1') by releasing the grip button, I still have to toggle the grip button by pressing again. (real problem is 'VRGripP1' - which is the rifle's grip - I managed to make it possible to drop it by just releasing the grip button. So where in the Vive_PawnCharacter blueprint should I look at?)

Second problem is when I let go of the forend ('VRGripS1'), my character drops the whole rifle when I want to still grab it by the forend.

I'm still struggling to figure out how to make reloading mechanism but I'll try to work on that myself as much I can.
    I'd be so appreciated if you could help me!

*Edit* I will also note that the VRCharacter "Should" be returning the correct location for pathing too, its target point is overridden in the code.

*Edit2* Should I make a custom AI Controller to handle the VRCharacters? It would be really easy to do and could just be set as the controller for AI then and it would handle my VRCharacters and SimpleVRCharacters natively then.

*Edit3* Don't want more posts - Already made a custom AI Controller that checks for VR characters and adjusts facing rotation and line of sight to checks. Can't find anything else in there that really needs an override.
    Dude, you are seriously insane. You already made a custom AI controller? That's awesome! Yes, the only reason I was trying to switch to simplecharacter was for the AI. I'd just thought it would be easier (for me), and maybe more performant, than trying to get the AIController to set the real VR transform of the player all the time. Really appreciate the reply with the insight and suggestions, let alone the idea of a custom AIController. I have been using AIBehaviorToolkit (Marketplace AI state chaining system) for my game prototype and the toolkit AI has worked great with SimpleCharacter. I will stick to VRCharacter and press on!
    Michael Wentworth-Bell - 3D Generalist / Virtual Reality Designer
    Reel Pictures
    Melbourne, Australia

Personal Folio Website: http://thelode.com.au/
    Creator of Espire 1 - VR Stealth game: Espire1.com

Pushed a new commit to the plugin, 4.16 preview is now out, so besides some minor refactoring of the (unfinished) TrackedDeviceParent stuff I intend to get it ported over to that tomorrow.

Code:
    Finished Replication overhaul for motion controllers / camera. Now has two selectable levels of
    quantization at the cost a 1 bit due to replicating which option selected.

Default quant level is rounded to 2 Decimals.

Added VRAIController, can be the base of an AI controller for a pawn. Overrides the Line of Sight To and GetActorFocalPoint functions so that
    if it is acting on a VRBaseCharacter it will use the HMD offset location instead of root.

Quote Originally Posted by alltrueist View Post
    An option to toggle the quantization level would be great to have. Thanks for pointing me to the replication speed setting and smoothing. I hadn't seen those. I switched to 50 hz plus smoothing and that was enough to fix the network hitching I was seeing client side with my testing setup of just two players with 3 trackers each. Smoothing wasn't noticeable. The extreme mode sounds interesting. Curious what you would plan on using there?
    I ended up only setting two levels for selection, I tried the extreme mode and it managed to save slightly more, but barely, and at the cost of a second additional bit on the other two levels. Quantization already scales how many bits are replicated based on the size of the number being replicated so at the relatively low numeric values that you will see in relative positions its difficult to get much more of a savings.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeGab View Post
    Hi there!
    I'm trying to make a rifle that i can hold with two hands. But sadly there are 2 problems. (and I'm using the example template.) Can you help me out?

First problem is when I want to let go of the rifle's forend ('VRGripS1') by releasing the grip button, I still have to toggle the grip button by pressing again. (real problem is 'VRGripP1' - which is the rifle's grip - I managed to make it possible to drop it by just releasing the grip button. So where in the Vive_PawnCharacter blueprint should I look at?)

Second problem is when I let go of the forend ('VRGripS1'), my character drops the whole rifle when I want to still grab it by the forend.

I'm still struggling to figure out how to make reloading mechanism but I'll try to work on that myself as much I can.
    I'd be so appreciated if you could help me!

When the primary hand drops the weapon you want to to check if there is a secondary grip on it, if so, call a grip on that hand at its current location, then when the primary goes back into position you can flip it back again. Secondary grips are not full grips, they are just components that are tracked, when the primary grip is ended it also kills the secondary portion of it. Primary grips contain the information for the secondary within them.

This allows for a pretty flexible system but takes some planning depending on how you want to setup your interactions.

From the sounds of it, you are actually approaching things backwards from how I set it up in the template though, you are considering the front grip the primary and the back grip the secondary, if you just renamed the sockets it would solve that for you.
    Last edited by mordentral; 04-25-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526