Alchemy (A full blown skill)

2019 UPDATE

I have returned to the modding scene. It will take some time to learn, but it’s about time ARK had a custom skill implemented. 3 years ago I was severely limited by my knowledge of server-client communication and replication. There are a lot more tutorials, and much more detailed documentation. I still plan on this mod to be fully functional with no limitations as to what it can and cannot be stacked with, what map it can be played on, etc. I will gear it towards the island so that all maps will have the required resource.

Hello,

This mod is still in its infancy, and I have a lot to learn. I’m hoping that I will be able to get some help for some critical aspects of this mod as well as pointers for making things more efficient.

End goal: To create an immersive skill that requires dedication and yields powerful rewards.

Current task: Content, content, content. Over 40 potions to transfer from spreadsheet to dev kit :slight_smile:

Done:

Own structure (there was a finished Alchemy Bench in the dev kit at the time I started this)
Potions to be crafted at said structure
Works from any alchemy table
Works between server restarts
Custom exp system
Skill level unique to the character (not steam player, of course)
High scores!!
Easy access of current player’s statistics
Fully functioning save/load file for all alchemy related information
Sound and notification on level up!
HIDE ENGRAMS BASED ON ALCHEMY LEVEL!!!
Custom meshes
Dropped meshes
Vials
Adjustable Exp Rate
Over 40 Custom potions
Server broadcast on max level
Level 99 Flame Cape

Doable/In progress:

Unique, realistic requirements
Multi-use potions
Custom buffs

Haven’t attempted:

Skill milestones
Dino potions
Custom grenades
Geared towards very end game
Custom “menu” that shows all potions, requirements, ingredients, and effects. Possibly from a book?

Current obstacles:

Dynamically changing default engrams in the inventory, seems nothing affects it… (will apply my newfound knowledge of server/client replication to this) [FIGURED IT OUT]

I am of course hoping for all feedback and suggestions. I hope to make this a very comprehensive and content oriented skill. I’m hoping that this concept can be expanded to much more later on.

In all, the basic system structure is complete, but some of the intermediate stuff has me stumped. If anybody can offer any assistance at all, I’d appreciate it.

Updates:

I’ve learned how to utilize game saves to properly save and load variables after server restarts
Implemented level system
Skill seems fully functioning on a dedicated server (where I am not the host), just need to clean it up, add a few user features, and go all out with adding potions
FINALLY figured out the (kinda) dynamic changing of available engrams in an inventory
Calculated all levels and proper exp per craftable
Added all 40+ potions to the dev kit, need to perfect exp and requirements

This is some amazing stuff you’ve got going on here. I have been waiting for someone to implement a new stat! Now if only I could figure out how to do that! Kudos on the hard work!

Got back into this mod, worked out some of the major obstacles, now I just need to add content! All suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

Have you looked at the Alchemy mod from minecraft? It had some potions and what not but was more about the transfiguration aspects of Alchemy meaning there were ways to turn so many dirt into wood, wood to stone and so on. It got pretty epic towards the end game giving you wands and cannons that could blow holes throw small mountains or turn dirt to water. Not sure if you like the idea of doing something like that but it could be a fun way to add some end game content.

It’s currently only at the stage of adding potions (health, stamina, various versions of combat potions, aoe stat boosts) as well as some potions being combined to make things such as torpor pike, frost arrow, and the fire arrow from SE. I planned on adding so much content from community suggestions, such as transfigurations, and possibly delving into custom animations and projectiles for certain things. I did add a cape made of only fire. When trying to altar the color, some colors were insanely bright and I couldn’t tone it down. I do have the floor plan for this mod largely mapped out, but I needed to wait for the release of certain phases of TEK before it’d be ready. I definitely didn’t want the max tier potions to require only polymer or black pearls… I have all of the in game icons and dropped meshes added to the dev kit, with all of the potions written down, I just need to make each individual item/engram/buff and add it accordingly.

hi
i would do mod like this but you already done everything XD
just i dont find this mod in workshop, can you give me link?

thk and good job

It isn’t currently published, I’m still working on it. If you want to partner up send me a message. What I can do in terms of creating the items and getting the mod itself to work, I severely lack in creativity when it comes to setting crafting requirements. I have the exp system completed, as well as all potions mapped out (when to unlock them, how much exp they give, etc) and I have plenty of room for new stuff to be added. The mod is fully functioning as far as engrams being hidden until your Alchemy level is correct (I have the engrams unlocking for 0 EP just so players can see all of the potions available) and the stat working server side. It’s just a matter of adding all of the items to the mod and working out the crafting portion of this.

I really dont know how i can help you cuz i havent experience with dev kit and unreal engine, i just dowloaded it 6 days ago, i’ve just made only couple thing like infinite grappling hook. make new resource, weapon, smithy something like that. now im blocked cuz i dont know how to give buff to armor piece, like damage multiplier 1.5 to gloves or double carry weight on chest, something like that.
for me it’s really interesting understand how you added alchemy level variables, this can open the possibility to make somenthing like gdr skill system. example with Tailoring skill 0-30 dont change nothing, 30-50 crafting better quality leather item, until 100 tailor will give 90% chance to craft yellow leather item. something that give you the possibility to craft better o lower item.
the other interesting thing is how is possible increase alchemy level.

anyway your project is amazing, i’ll try your mod asap :slight_smile:

I’ve created my own skill system from the ground up. It is stored server side and currently I store the Player ID (for unique levels), their name (and tribe name, for high scores) and their exp/level. Crafting the potion gives the exp, and I simply hide the engrams before the inventory opens up. I even have it so that leveling up your alchemy level gives you a notification (such as when you kill something), and the level up sound plays. Upon reaching max level, the entire server is notified that you’ve reached it. I will gladly do all of the work in the dev kit, I just need help with requirements. PM your email address, I can share the spreadsheet with you.

Is this still going? Looks amazing!

Well, it’s been 3 years. I have no idea how to mod. Luckily, I kept every file. Time to get to work.