I want to share with You my version of voxel based Minecraft-like infinite world. I was inspired by John Alcatraz who did really great job making his prototype only with blueprints. I focused more on C++ instead to get the best performance. I create only the front faces from the outward voxels. I even manage to remove the chunk connections using the additional information shared between chunks.
Two weeks ago You could follow creation process on my twitch channel (http://twitch.tv/Tefel) where I did almost everything from algorythmic point. During last two weeks I was improving graphics, effects, menus and also adding more functionalities and features.
Toolkit avaiable on Sellfy 4.15: https://sellfy.com/p/Ho2F/
Download demo: http://bit.ly/UnrealVoxel
Don't forget to check my Youtube Unreal Engine 4 channel. I upload there my work (tutorials and prototypes). Every single like and subsribe can help me to grow. Thanks!
and some screenshots...
Graphics: All assets in this project are either created entirely by myself or were released as Public Domain and then used directly or edited by me.
Music: free, classical, ambient made by Sergey Cheremisinov & Philipp Weigl
This is just small side-project, prototype made on my twitch stream (http://twitch.tv/Tefel) where people could follow a creation process. To make this more enjoable I was trying to be really close to the original Minecraft game. While it's looking similar to Minecraft, my intention was not to create a game similar to Minecraft but just challenge myself and check overall look of all additional Unreal Engine 4 effects.
There is a lot of small things You can notice while trying this prototype
- procedurally generated World with wide range of randomness (seed makes whole thing looks much different every time)
- wind effect for the trees and all other custom elements like flower and grass
- advanced materials with normals, displacement, shaders, shifting grass, removing tiling effect and adding additional 3D noises for sand and stones
- advanced particles like falling leaves, birds
- independent scene actors - the butterflies
- cracking effect, destructible mesh effect
- simple inventory based on UMG
- savegame system based on C++ finding .sav files - simplicity 1 file = 1 game
- more than 50 sounds for different type of voxel and tool using
- menu system with GPU / CPU settings
- additional options to make this thing more funny like rounded material for trees, BIGGER/SMALLER blocks etc.
I decided to upload source code but it all will depend on people being interested. Some likes and subscribes can help me to grow my UE4 Youtube channel where I put a lot of effort recording tutorials and other UE4 related materials.
Funny fact is that I have never played Minecraft but maybe I will
Please share Your thoughts about this!