[GoogleVR] No antialiasing at all?

To get GoogleVR working you have to toggle off MobileHDR which means no AA at all. Without AA scene is unbearable, but in this video for GoogleVR AA exist and seems to work. Is there any way to enable at least some AA for my scene?

Bump from me too. AA is definitely needed at least in some form but it’s not going through on my build either.

Actually MobileHDR on was working for me at least on my device. Can you confirm it does not work for you?

One strange thing I’ve noticed about a GoogleVR UE4 export is the resolution that is set. On my S7 which is 1440p I see the following:

GoogleVR export: “LogRenderer: Reallocating scene render targets to support 1280 x 720
**gearvr **export: “LogRenderer: Reallocating scene render targets to support 2560x1440

wondering why the googlevr export is only 1280x720 ? Without mobileHDR the jaggidies must look even worse at that res …

Are you guys seeing the same on your devices? Is it forcing that res so it’s supporting all devices or what’s going on I wonder?

I’m using Nexus 6P as recommended for Daydream development and enabling MobileHDR disables render for left eye ie I get pure black screen for left eye and normal view for right one.
Also a good one about resolution - yep, you can’t imagine how horrible it looks, especially with jagged edges ._.

According to a post in here: [UE-11846] Mobile HDR on Gear VR Progress? - Mobile - Epic Developer Community Forums
the only one eye issue is if you have AA enabled with mobile HDR (at least for gearvr) - could you try mobile HDR without AA ? (and again with FXAA - perhaps it’s only Temporal that has the problem)

I wonder if there is a way to activate the MSAA that comes with a gearvr export? r.MobileOnChipMSAA = 1 ?

Also @zeOrb it would be really great if you could check which resolution your getting on the Nexus 6? There should be a log line just before the first image is shown like:

LogRenderer: Reallocating scene render targets to support 1280 x 720

I’m wondering if there is a way to get it up to Gearvr resolution?

Yup, pirate-eye problem was due to temporal AA. Without temporal AA mobile HDR is working fine.
About resolution - I’m not sure where to get this log message, because my Output contains this line only for PC. Judging by horrendous picture I’m getting it is 1280x720 rather than anything else.

Would be great to hear from Epic about this low resolution and how to enable MSAA which I think I read is best for the forward mobile renderer and is supported for gearvr already.

Indeed. I think there is a way to enable it - Epic video example looks fine. I’ll try to contact some Epic stuff, maybe they will shed some light at our problem!

GearVR forces native resolution (2560x1440). GoogleVR does not, but you can add r.MobileContentScaleFactor=0 to the DefaultDeviceProfile.ini. Antialiasing can be enabled with r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=3.

Where do you find DefaultDeviceProfile.ini?

Thanks!
Managed to get good quality.

[Path]\Unreal Projects[ProjectName]\Config\DefaultDeviceProfile.ini
There is complex Build system available in Window-> Developer Tools-> Device profiles which build projects with particular settings for different devices and you can modify settings per device. I’ve used button “Save as default” to create DefaultDeviceProfile.ini and then changed value in r.MobileContentScaleFactor=* lines to 0 in Android profiles, because I’m not sure which profile used by my device.

There are some good tutorials in documentation on this system, but for my purposes it was easier just to auto-replace :slight_smile:

Does this solved for everyone?

Yeah it works for me. However by the new google documentation there is another way as well that I guess is slightly easier?: https://developers.google.com/vr/unreal/daydream-in-unreal#enable_msaa
(not tried that way yet though)

This doesn’t seem to do anything unfortunately.

As of today’s date these settings have a huge positive impact on the experience for the end user.

This kind of thing is important and it should be clearly documented, and easily available for other people to see. It’s in Epic’s best interest to do so.

Using mssa improved things the best for me so far. I had to edit the device profile settings or the ini file directly. Trying to change things via project settings -> engine - rendering didn’t work once I created a default device profile file.