Getting rid of Root Motion

I’m in the process of moving to UE4 from Unity. The process has so far gone very smoothly, but one problem we had was that our library of animations couldn’t be used in blendspaces because they had root motion. I put together a little video of showing how to remove root motion from an animation that has it so it can be used in UE4 without an AnimMontage and with a Blendspaces.

I use Blender in the video, but the basic process should be the same in any 3D package.

On a related note, I noticed that Mixamo added support for downloading with or without root motion. This was just added within the last day or so, and I’m guessing as a direct response to requests from UE4 users. Still, there’s a lot of mocap data out there with root motion, so I thought it worth walking through the process.

1 Like

Good clear tutorial and explanation. Thanks for posting. :slight_smile:

nice info there thankyou

Nice one! Should help alot of people out and well explained.

I have just been doing a similar process myself in MAX, what I do with Biped files is to add a layer to the biped and move the root bone back to where it started at the end of the animation, cancelling out the root motion. If you use this method, just make sure to set the continuity of the keyframes on the layer to 0 so you don’t get any blending or ease in/out.

thanks for the heads up, would you care to post this on the wiki? ;]

Thanks for this

Thanks a lot ,Even though UE4 now has support for removing root motions but it doesn’t work too well for all animations . Great tutorial :slight_smile: