User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Spline Generator

Veteran

Smart Spline Generator

This tool allows to generate various assets that automatically align/react to any surface, in highly customizable way. Create ivy, vine, ropes, bridges, fences and more – with many customizable parameters & possibility to use your own meshes.

• Fast and easy generation of surface-aligning assets
    • Many parameters for controlling generation behavior, all described in their tooltips and in documentation levels. Spline direction, sub-spline amount, spline/sub-spline length, curve, mesh amount, align rotation, height above ground, random irregularity levels and many more…
    • Automatic bridge mechanic: Automatically finds nearby surfaces to make bridges with. Allows to control bridge gravity and more (presented in the video)
    • Low-poly edge snapping: Allows to generate lower-poly assets without problems caused by low poly count near surface edges (presented in the video)
    • Automatic spline mesh optimization – replaces most of spline mesh sections with low-poly versions, leaving only critical areas like edges or corners
    • In-engine documentation: All the features explained on working examples in demo levels
    • Possibility to use your own meshes
    • Set of starting presets included
    • With help of UE Merge tool, you can convert any generated asset into static mesh, to reuse it in different levels/projects – or to export & edit it in your 3D package!
    • Made 100% in Blueprints.

• ... Works also in 2D projects! : http://imgur.com/a/gixYa

Last edited by Slavq; 06-29-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Wow this is really cool and looks insanely useful and time saving.
    My work in progress thread: Pixel Art Sidescroller

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRockford View Post
    Wow this is really cool and looks insanely useful and time saving.
    Quote Originally Posted by macoll View Post
    Hum...it rocks man, gg
    Thanks!

Samaritan
    Looks great! Any chance it's gonna have wind etc like in your Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator?

Looks awesome and time saving, great job!

Looks fun! Look great!

i love you ;-)
    and i really really want this tool !!!!!!
    release it now !!

any ideas about pricing yet ?
    kind regards
    stucki

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrekk View Post
    Looks great! Any chance it's gonna have wind etc like in your Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator?
    Thank you! Default ivy leaves have basic wind in material + probably I'll add some interactive material effect in the first update. But it won't be fully dynamic like Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator - trees/plants have quite predictable structure, but in case of Smart Spline Generator, there are too many possibilities to implement some optimized dynamic interaction system. Besides, it's also recommended to convert generated assets (at least the bigger, more complicated ones) into single static meshes via Merge tool to have good performance, so the only dynamic interaction I can think of would be through materials with vertex offset.

Quote Originally Posted by BurakShamansoft View Post
    Looks awesome and time saving, great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by com04 View Post
    Looks fun! Look great!
    Quote Originally Posted by stucki View Post
    i love you ;-)
    and i really really want this tool !!!!!!
    release it now !!

any ideas about pricing yet ?
    kind regards
    stucki
    Thanks! I'm doing my best to make this available as soon as possible
    About the price, I think it will be somewhere in the area of the Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator price, imho quite reasonable for the possibilities - but I'm not sure yet.
    Last edited by Slavq; 06-01-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Fixing my WIP English grammar

Veteran
    Smart Spline Generator has passed the review process and will be available on June 29th!

Nice tool @Slavq,
    I can't wait to try that, really nice job!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBC View Post
    Nice tool @Slavq,
    I can't wait to try that, really nice job!
    Thank you!

wow will be very looking forward for it !
    and will make much use of it ;-)

Infiltrator
    Bought it, thank you so much for this great tool! Works really good and it will save me soooo much time

bought it too. its very very cool. thx very much for it. and its totally worth the money !!!

one thing that could be improved in my opinion is that (thats how i see it) even if i make a very small change in one of the many parameters everything is calculated again from start and the result will vary very much from the origin.
    Would it be possible to implement in future versions to only recalculate the changed parameter ?
    or do i see this completely wrong ? (sorry i am a noob ;-) )
    best regards
    stucki

Luminary

Looks awesome. My real question is how well does collision work on generated assets?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Alara View Post
    Bought it, thank you so much for this great tool! Works really good and it will save me soooo much time
    bought it too. its very very cool. thx very much for it. and its totally worth the money !!!
    Thank you, I'm really glad that you like it!

one thing that could be improved in my opinion is that (thats how i see it) even if i make a very small change in one of the many parameters everything is calculated again from start and the result will vary very much from the origin.
    Would it be possible to implement in future versions to only recalculate the changed parameter ?
    or do i see this completely wrong ? (sorry i am a noob ;-) )
    best regards
    stucki
    I see what you mean, I'll see if I can implement something like this. I have a similar system in my tree&plant generator, but this one reacts to any surface and have way more possibilities (less predictable), so I will have to construct the logic in some other way... I'll let you know when I'll find a way to implement this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    Looks awesome. My real question is how well does collision work on generated assets?
    Thanks! It works without problems: Bridge Collision Test | Fence Collision Test
    + Generator uses mesh sections which are a regular static meshes - and it will use any collision shape that is defined within these meshes, so it's fully customizable and it depends on what mesh you use with the generator. The included default meshes serve as an example/starting point and you can import your own mesh sections.
    + After merging generated asset into static mesh (it's recommended, to save generated asset and improve performance), you can of course edit it in any 3D app and use any collision shape you want

Luminary

Cheers for the info. I suspect I'll pick this up, even if only to pull it apart, sooner rather than later!

Nice project. Does it work on mobile ?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
    Nice project. Does it work on mobile ?
    Thanks, this tool generates 3D assets that can be converted to static meshes, so it works with everything that can use 3D meshes, and generates on every collision-enabled surface - also in 2D projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavq View Post
    Thanks, this tool generates 3D assets that can be converted to static meshes, so it works with everything that can use 3D meshes, and generates on every collision-enabled surface - also in 2D projects.
    Thanks, sounds like the tool I need

Promoter
    Excellent 5 stars asset. Is there any guidance how to convect the result to static mesh? Cant seem to find much info of UE Merge Tool.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SaOk View Post
    Excellent 5 stars asset. Is there any guidance how to convect the result to static mesh? Cant seem to find much info of UE Merge Tool.
    Thank you! Yes, there is a separate documentation level (Maps\'Documentation_Merging') explaining it step by step. It's a matter of a few clicks.

Promoter
    Thanks, merging works perfect. Used InstaLOD to even add lods. There is no limits, unreal good.

One word, AWESOME!

cheers

Willi Hammes
    ---------------------
    Managing Director
    MAWI United GmbH

Promoter
    Can you use this tool to generate rope splines from point a to b during runtime?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by whammes View Post
    One word, AWESOME!

cheers

Willi Hammes
    ---------------------
    Managing Director
    MAWI United GmbH
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMrC View Post
    Can you use this tool to generate rope splines from point a to b during runtime?
    This tool is designed for in-editor generation, but it can be easily modified to generate even during runtime. All you need to do is check 'Expose on Spawn' checkbox under variables that you want to control when spawning your rope spline and then spawn e.g. the 'PRESET_Rope1_BP' actor via Spawn Actor from Class' node with desired spawn transform. Your exposed variables will appear in the node input, so for example you can set 'Amount of Segments' (which defines rope length) and any other property when spawning it.
    To specify fixed A & B points you would need to construct some additional logic, depending on your needs. By the nature, this tool generates not by following some fixed start & end points, but by 'sensing' nearby surfaces for specified length.
    (Spawn during runtime GIF)
    PS. If you would like to spawn it during runtime this way, you'll probably need to change few nodes in Blueprints\Internal Logic\StemSpline_BP -> Construction Script -> 'Reset Variables' function like this to avoid some warnings when spawning.

I'm very interested about this blueprint that you made, but I have a few questions if you don't mind :
    Thank you! Default ivy leaves have basic wind in material + probably I'll add some interactive material effect in the first update. But it won't be fully dynamic like Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator - trees/plants have quite predictable structure, but in case of Smart Spline Generator, there are too many possibilities to implement some optimized dynamic interaction system. Besides, it's also recommended to convert generated assets (at least the bigger, more complicated ones) into single static meshes via Merge tool to have good performance, so the only dynamic interaction I can think of would be through materials with vertex offset.
    Regarding this, are you able to generate custom vertex colors when you convert a blueprint into a static mesh ? Does the user has any control over that ?
    As you mention having wind, that would be awesome if we could use custom meshes and have clean vertex colors applied for wind/effects deformations.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Froyok View Post
    Regarding this, are you able to generate custom vertex colors when you convert a blueprint into a static mesh ? Does the user has any control over that ?
    As you mention having wind, that would be awesome if we could use custom meshes and have clean vertex colors applied for wind/effects deformations.
    The tool is built purely on Blueprints and (if I'm not mistaken) it's not possible to access/alter mesh vertex color data from Blueprints - so I can't implement any automatic vertex color generation, unfortunately. However, after converting generated asset into a static mesh via UE Merge Actors tool, you can always edit it in 3D app and paint vertex colors there.

The tool is built purely on Blueprints and (if I'm not mistaken) it's not possible to access/alter mesh vertex color data from Blueprints - so I can't implement any automatic vertex color generation, unfortunately. However, after converting generated asset into a static mesh via UE Merge Actors tool, you can always edit it in 3D app and paint vertex colors there.
    Indeed, I didn't thought about that way.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Samaritan
    Is it ripoff from one of Unreal Engine stream?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadaleus View Post
    Is it ripoff from one of Unreal Engine stream?
    No, but I guess you mean one of the streams where they showed their internal vine generator used for Paragon that also aligned to surfaces. Well, if making a surface-aware asset generator that also includes vine generation would be considered as a 'ripoff' then something would be wrong You see, surface-aligning generation is nothing new and I even remember a 3dsMax plugin that generated ivy from couple of years ago. ... And to completely soothe your curiosity, I've started working on this tool long before the stream appeared, back in 2015 - originally it was meant to be a part of my previous Dynamic Tree & Plant Generator, as an automatic ivy growing around generated trees - but it evolved into this separate product.

@saladeus
    Pizza hut is a ripoff of pizza recipe and people buy.
    We buy markplace items for saved times even if they are a tutorials.

Btw. You spline generator look very good i hate put fences by hand.

Does it work in terrains??
    Last edited by erWilly; 07-02-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by erWilly View Post
    Btw. You spline generator look very good i hate put fences by hand.

Does it work in terrains??
    Thanks!
    Yes, it works with any collision-enabled surfaces, also with terrains/landscapes. For example, the fences shown in the video were placed on a landscape.

Promoter

4.11?

Does this project work with 4.11 or only 4.12? Have not upgraded to 4.12 yet but interested in buying it.

C

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMrC View Post
    Does this project work with 4.11 or only 4.12? Have not upgraded to 4.12 yet but interested in buying it.

C
    Only 4.12+. I have some older projects with early WIP versions of this tool, but they're not suitable for distribution (lots of bugs and, obviously, lack of some features) Additionally, the UE Merge Actors tool which is important for the generator came out of experimental phase in 4.12. Also, it's not possible to downgrade a project to previous versions, so unfortunately I can't do anything about this.

after exit all splines change their form. What i do wrong?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRock View Post
    after exit all splines change their form. What i do wrong?
    To save generated asset, please convert it into static mesh - this is also recommended to have a good performance. It's just a few clicks and you can see how to do it in the Maps\Documentation_Merging level.
    PS. When you convert it with 'Replace Source Actors' enabled, your generator blueprint will be automatically replaced with static mesh, which can be handy.

Visionary
    Very useful tool, I'll be getting this soon. =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast