Does anyone else use a Mac to build stuff in UE4?

I’ve been using my Mac to run UE4 since 4.6 or 4.7 and it’s been running exceptionally well, until 4.11. On paper, bringing in Metal support should be beneficial for Mac performance, which is a good thing.

But it doesn’t. It feels much much slower now than ever. I can’t even get 60fps in the Minimal_Default map… The whole thing feels worse than my iPad 2 running iOS 9. And it’s crispy as ever as soon as I switch to some other app, without quitting UE4…

What’s worse, whenever I click right mouse button in blueprint or material editor to bring out the menu, it doesn’t automatically jump to typing. I don’t really know how to describe this… Normally if I need to do a cast, I’d drag a pin off from the object, then directly go typing the name of the class (first 3 letters maybe) then hit enter. But after 4.11, when I drag a pin off from the object, I type anything, it won’t appear, I have to click the typing bar and then start typing… Same goes when I create a variable, and basically every similar situation. One extra unnecessary action…

I’m just posting to see if anyone else is running UE4 on Mac and if so, are you running into this problem? A system wipe and recovery takes a lot of commitment… and a big promise…

I am find the speed to be fantastic on 4.11 and 4.12 (did you turn Metal on?) its a tick box in the prefs.

As for the right click problem, its a known bug, I asked about it here on the 4.12 thread and there is a link to the bug in answers. Maybe add your voice to it?

I’ve tried 4.12 right click is still a bust. How can we letting Epic know that we are having this issue?

Do you mind if I ask what’s your spec? I’m using a 750M, which isn’t very powerful to begin with… But I get 45fps at Minimal_Default if I keep rotating the camera, in editor, default layout… It feels better than 4.11 but still… Last time I got so frustrated with UE4’s performance, my room temperature was about 35 degrees celsius and so you know…

EDIT: of course I’ve got Metal on… I’ve been looking forward to it for about a year… since Apple announced it… So far, not nearly as amazing as iOS Metal

According to Adam Davies (in the answers thread I linked to) its a duplicate of some other bug still being reviewed :frowning: I don’t know how to make more noise other than keep adding mentions to it on the 4.12 thread and add your voice on Answers.

As for FPS, I get 55-75 on a GTX680M (2048MB) - 2012 iMac, I have a 2015 Retina iMac at work which has 2GB so its one of these 3 AMD Radeon R9 M380, M390, M395 - not sure which one actually. I get better fps on that machine.