User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Landscape Architect

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that you're interested in VR, but major headsets were not yet available in India. Looks like HTC Vive will be available very soon: http://www.amazon.in/HTC-VIVE-Virtual-Reality-System/dp/B06ZY6LJ2F

Good luck - patiently looking forward to this, take as long as you need

Thank you @acatalept That's very thoughful of you. Recently Amazon India started shipping Oculus Rift and I got mine last week

Quote Originally Posted by NightroGames View Post
    I don't know if you are aware of it yet, but I found something that would be worth looking into to get ideas on improving your product. It's called "Voxel Farm." I haven't found anything like a stamp feature yet, but improved material rendering did catch my attention.

I believe stuff are made in it's own application then exported, but it recently came out with a UE4 plugin. I am mostly just interested in the landscape part of voxel though, and not Voxel Farm's other stuff like it's voxel dynamic water, it's blocky Mincraft like architect, or it's trees. If you don't like me mentioning competitor products, I don't mind removing this comment.
    Thanks for the update. I had a look at Voxel Farm a while ago and they have a great product

If you don't like me mentioning competitor products, I don't mind removing this comment
    I don't mind at all I'd gladly help a fellow developer even if you are working on a competing plugin. Since I started DA two years ago, I always maintained that you can look at my code and use it a as learning reference for your own plugins

I have a lot of interesting stuff planned for the editor tooling. I'll have more info in a few days
    Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-04-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by LordStuff View Post
    Hey, great job you did there!

I didn't read the whole thread, but does this also support cube based voxel landscapes?

Cheers
    @LordStuff Yes it does. The meshing algorithm can be swapped out with another implementation. There's one for creating minecraft like terrain

Luminary
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Akbar View Post
    Thanks for the update. I had a look at Voxel Farm a while ago and they have a great product

I don't mind at all I'd gladly help a fellow developer even if you are working on a competing plugin. Since I started DA two years ago, I always maintained that you can look at my code and use it a as learning reference for your own plugins

I have a lot of interesting stuff planned for the editor tooling. I'll have more info in a few days
    Super excited to hear more about the tooling for Landscape Architect in the the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by methusalah View Post
    Hi Ali,

I hope you are well and the work goes as you want. I can't wait to acquire and test your plugin.

Did you acheive to implement the material system you wanted? Have you began to work on the tooling?

I would like to share my personal opinion : Procedural generation is very fancy and impressive. It allows to create great demos and incredible screen-shot in no time but it can't make a good game alone. Hand-crafted world are much more valuable in most case because they are an artistic expression and perfectly fit the gameplay goals. Few good games were able to take advantage of fully procedural biomes (Minecraft, Rust, no man's sky). Few games need a 200km square landscape. And mixing generated and hand-made content is still a recurrent and unsolved problem for the procedural content generation industry.

So it's totally awesome that your plugin can make such things, but I encourage you to focus at least as much on the in-editor tooling because I believe that there are tons of artists, out there, that can't wait to sculpt, dig, paint and decorate in tiny details their (not-giant) level with their heart and a rich and versatile tool ^^ (Plus, a good in-editor tooling is exactly what is lacking the leading concurrent Voxel Farm )

Good luck and please, keep up the good work !

Ben
    @methusalah Thank you for the feedback and I agree with you. Landscape modification in the editor works now.

I'll also be supporting Layers like in Photoshop. So you paint your brushes on different layers and do so non-destructively. This also allows you to add "filters" on your layers like you do in Photoshop. For e.g., if you apply a noise filter on the layer you are carving on, it would automatically create rocky look to the surface. Layers also give you the advantage of non-destructively carving no your landscape. Imagine you create a landscape and calculated erosion on it. Then you remove some portion of it with the sculpt tool but you cannot bring it back. However, if you sculpt it on a different layer, the data on the base layer is still there and not overwritten. Another advantage is if you sculpt your cave in one layer in a mountain, you can move the base position of the layer around, effectively moving the cave inside the mountain with the entrance properly recalculated

There's also some interesting stuff with the splines. I'll have more info in a few days

Quote Originally Posted by iniside View Post
    So when it is coming out ? (;.
    I don't know if you have been already on it but I have two suggestions:
    1. Add mask input to all generators (so you can mask generator with output of other generator).
    2. Add Layout node. You can place shapes over world (splines, circles, rectangles, custom shape) over world and they will generate simple gradient with falloff.
    Both of those features would allow to customize landscape (possibly at runtime too, by defining how shape will affect underlaying heightmap generation).

Can't wait for it. Will you include source in plugin ?

@iniside Thank you for the input. The generators will have mask inputs. I'll explore more on #2

Full source code would be included with the plugin

Quote Originally Posted by gotgrassct View Post
    Can you have materials that are optimized for mobile? that would be amazing! for example: no tesselation, only 8 mobile texture samplers etc
    Tessellation is customizable from the configuration. You can apply different material on each LOD and bake the collision at a lower LOD. I haven't tested on mobile yet.

Quote Originally Posted by xydr View Post
    Was wondering if this will work in the forward renderer? (In VR and not)
    does it need temporal AA to make the foliage look decent?
    @xydr It works with VR, not sure if it was the forward renderer or deferred. I haven't tested with foliage yet.

Quote Originally Posted by apsteele4186 View Post
    @Ali Akbar Are you still looking at releasing soon? Would be very interested to use LA. Amazing Work.
    It will take a while longer ^_^ Have more work to do

It will take a while longer ^_^ Have more work to do
    I honestly wouldn't mind some kind of early access or something ^^.
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

I, too, looked at Voxel Farm again recently, though I can't say I like the way their licensing works, particularly for Indies...

Your plugins continue to grow in strength, Ali, and I look forward to playing around with this one.
    Creative Director - Thorium Entertainment LLC | http://www.facebook.com/calibergame
    Inventor - Rushboard Technologies | http://www.rushboardtech.com

Sorry if I missed out on a F.A.Q. section in this thread or if I repeat any questions already asked.
    But is there a time window when you plan to release? Like "Q3 2018" or something like that?
    Or if it's anywhere near alpha or beta?

Really looking forward to this one and I am holding off on starting a project before I can get my hands on this plugin! Great work!

Hello Ali,

I hope that you can finish this soon and get this on the market place, I have an amazing Sci-Fi concept in mind and If you complete this plugin and get it out to us Devs, i think this will be just what i need!! please hurry so i can throw my money at your face!!, much love and keep up the good work!!!

- Ken

Luminary
    Hey @Ali Akbar -

This video should give you some ideas for tooling for planet scale stuff

Look forward to see more from you.

- HeadClot

Will this plug-in be compatible with DA. so you can generate a whole world with random city's from city builder, buildings in city builder made in floor plan builder, and dungeons made in grid? basically id love you use every part of your plug in to add a truly random world every time. thanks

I would buy this right now if it were available. Do we have a general release window, Ali Akbar?

Landscape architect is a procedural landscape generator. It lets you design and build landscapes within the UE4 editor workflow and automatically takes care of setting up the materials, foliage, world composition etc

It supports two types of procedural landscapes:

Heightmap Based

Voxel Based

Oh, that is very, very cool! Any idea what it will cost?

I suspect it will be at least another year before we see this on Marketplace...

As for pricing, it could be on par with Dungeon Architect.
    Creative Director - Thorium Entertainment LLC | http://www.facebook.com/calibergame
    Inventor - Rushboard Technologies | http://www.rushboardtech.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567