User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Landscape Architect

Infiltrator
    Could you fit the voxels into a existing model like this flying island generated in houdini?

Name:  8a9260d507.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  96.3 KB

Supporter
    omg, very cool, but how you did it? I haven't problems with landscape, how you change landscape in game?

Quote Originally Posted by HRLDStudios View Post
    Hey Ali, you have blown my mind, and maybe I missed this from skimming the thread, but about how long have you been working on this project?? It's incredible! Recently I've begun an open-world project and I'm just curious as to how easy it would be to merge different biomes / landscapes. Sorry if I'm repeating any questions from before.
    @HRLDStudios I've been on this for a while. Did bulk of the work past two months mostly on the voxel side

Quote Originally Posted by rYuxq View Post
    Can this tool work on any kind of landscape?

I mean, if I had a terrain already, textured and populated with objects. Could this tool take it as it easy and then still modify it in the future?
    Or is it a requirement that the landscape has been generated with this tool?
    LA supports two types of landscapes

Heightmap Landscape
    UE4 supports heightmap based landscapes natively (Landscape actor) and this mode builds on that. There are a set of graph based toolset that work on top of existing UE4's landscape actor. The first post has some screens on some node based procedural landscapes

However, the UE4's landscape has some limitations, it cannot be modifed during runtime, (so no infinite procedural landscapes), cannot have caves/overhangs because it is heightmap based.

Voxel Landscape
    This uses a custom mesh component to create the landscape and can be modified during runtime. It gets all the advantages of a voxel system. Since others are asking, I'll see if I can provide a way to convert the heightmap based landscape into a voxel landscape with proper material weights.

@apoisonedgift @PDubulous Thank you
    @robob3ar, @Hyncharas I'll have a beta program. There's still more work to be done. I'll keep you all posted

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukra View Post
    Could you fit the voxels into a existing model like this flying island generated in houdini?

Name:  8a9260d507.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  96.3 KB
    It should be possible to turn an arbitrary mesh into a voxel. This would make for a nice feature for the stamping tool (mesh stamping) for placing props and other details as part of landscape itself

Quote Originally Posted by LevBabintsev View Post
    omg, very cool, but how you did it? I haven't problems with landscape, how you change landscape in game?
    @LevBabintsev UE4 landscapes cannot be changed during runtime (as of 4.15). I use a custom mesh component for the voxel landscape

Great work Ali !

Some Questions:

Will this support the foliage and the grass tools? Will the position and/or orientation of foliage track realtime modification, possibly with some control over that ?

Will the generated mesh from voxels have LOD ? 'voxel lod' and/or 'mesh lod' ?

Do you use a space partioning system for the voxels?

What is the maximum voxel space? Can we add smaller voxel actors with finer voxel grid, and have these blend in with the bigger one?

Can we set additional properties to voxels for gameplay purposes and querying those (from blueprint) ?

How would one trace toward the voxel terrain? maybe have access to the nearest voxel? or some way to have a point project to nearest face ?

How will texturing work, concerning UV maps, or do we need to use procedural materials ? or does this work with vertex paint in some way ?

Looking forward to play around with this...
    Last edited by FrederickD; 03-04-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Promoter
    Hear that? Dev grants for Oculus Rift + Touch right now, hope you get one Ali.

Are you still working on this, Ali ? Any updates ?

Reading trough the thread again, it seems some of my questions were already answered.

I'm looking forward to this...

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Akbar View Post
    I use a custom mesh component for the voxel landscape
    Is this the regular custom mesh component that comes with UE, or something you created yourself?
    It seems it can be optimized a lot, considering this plugin.

Luminary
    Quote Originally Posted by FrederickD View Post
    Is this the regular custom mesh component that comes with UE, or something you created yourself?
    It seems it can be optimized a lot, considering this plugin.
    Runtime mesh component is getting a major overhaul. So It might be worth it to wait.

Any updates? Is this coming out on the marketplace? If so, what's your price point?

Hey everyone, I've been working on some internal optimizations. The Voxel chunks can now save the density data in any data type (4-byte float, 2-byte or 1-byte integers). This helps in saving memory and the size of your saved games

Past few days I've been working on implementing a atmospheric scattering shader explained in this GPU Gems article. It works from both in and outside the atmosphere

The planet in the video and screens in 200km in diameter

There are issues with physics that I'll need to solve. There are also rendering artifacts (bands) due to depth buffer precision while rendering the atmospheric scattering on large planets when seen from far away. However I've reduced it by taking the planet surface depth into account only when the player is close to the start of atmosphere

Video:

Screens:

Hey everyone, I've been working on some internal optimizations. The Voxel chunks can now save the density data in any data type (4-byte float, 2-byte or 1-byte integers). This helps in saving memory and the size of your saved games

Past few days I've been working on implementing a atmospheric scattering shader explained in this GPU Gems article. It works from both in and outside the atmosphere

The planet in the video and screens in 200km in diameter

There are issues with physics that I'll need to solve. There are also rendering artifacts (bands) due to depth buffer precision while rendering the atmospheric scattering on large planets when seen from far away. However I've reduced it by taking the planet surface depth into account only when the player is close to the start of atmosphere

Video:

Screens:
    I freakin need this!
    @Ali Akbar - You should check out this atmospheric scattering: http://evasion.inrialpes.fr/~Eric.Bruneton/ (Scroll down to the section labeled Atmosphere.) It supports multiple scattering and should be similarly performant to the simpler GPU Gems version, but give better results. Also a code example there to download.
    Last edited by n00854180t; 03-18-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Luminary
    Quote Originally Posted by n00854180t View Post
    I freakin need this!
    @Ali Akbar - You should check out this atmospheric scattering: http://evasion.inrialpes.fr/~Eric.Bruneton/ (Scroll down to the section labeled Atmosphere.) It supports multiple scattering and should be similarly performant to the simpler GPU Gems version, but give better results. Also a code example there to download.
    Yes same,

I need this as well.

I would also like to point out that they made the code available under the BSD-3 license.

You can get access to their repo by accessing this site. http://proland.imag.fr/

Pretty sweet stuff Ali

Your work is so inspirational, that scattering looks gorgeous!

@ioFlow Studios Thank you!
    @n00854180t @HeadClot Thank you for the links. I'll definitely have a look

Was just watching the GDC presentation by Sean Murray. He explains various noise functions used in No Mans Sky with some real nice and intuitive ways to combine various noise models. I'll experiment those with LA. The noise is generated in the CPU right now. I'll look at generating this in the GPU to speed things up

Amazing looks !

Ali so... Your map is.... 125660 Square km ? so 8500 TIMES bigger than entire skyrim map? procedurally. I just... well... ****! good there is world origin shifting integrated into UE for some time, or getting vectors in such giant space would be pain in the ****.

Is this still going smoothly? As in, can we still expect an April release? If you still haven't figured out a price, I'de gladly drop down $150 if it's as great as I think it is and think it would be popular at that mid to high price point. Of course I would still be willing to pay more or less.

Also, any progress on getting it to work in editor and height maps to voxel for "caves/overhangs" etc? I need it to work with height maps I export from World Machine and then continue editing it from there. So I'm assuming that this wouldn't work on pre-made landscapes yes?
    Last edited by NightroGames; 04-02-2017 at 10:52 AM.

OMG this is what I need!

A few new things these past few weeks

- Voxel calculations are done in the GPU (Compute shaders) and is much faster. I'll also provide a pixel shader version for older hardware that do not support SM5
    - Improved noise model for procedural generation. The mountains look more interesting. More info here
    - A custom vertex factory and shaders for the voxel mesh to fully control the vertex data that is passed to the GPU (Needed for a flexible material system)
    - Created a layer based Material system with weights on each layer. You can alter these weights to paint different material (like ue4 landscape layers) from the editor / runtime. These weights can also be set from your landscape graph. More on this later
    - Started working on Foliage support (very early WIP). I'll also support a modified version of UE4's procedural foliage tool for spawning trees

Foliage:

Looks great.

Doesn't the UE4 procedural foliage tool already spawn foliage on top of meshes? such as voxels? Unless Your tool updates the foliage on landscape modification at runtime.

Will this beauty work in VR ?

Quote Originally Posted by AngeIV View Post
    Doesn't the UE4 procedural foliage tool already spawn foliage on top of meshes? such as voxels? Unless Your tool updates the foliage on landscape modification at runtime.
    From what I've seen, it doesn't spawn grass and the procedural foliage tool doesn't work at runtime, you simulate it from within the editor (didn't get to this yet, need to check this)

As for the grass, it gets updated when you modify the mesh at runtime

Quote Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
    Will this beauty work in VR ?
    I couldn't get my hands on a VR headset here in India, they don't ship here. I guess I'll have to settle for gear VR

I feal concerned with this no man sky direction. I rather see some examples of a tiled streamed world with world composition working. Just a personal opinion. (doesn't mean that Your work on the planetary stuff is not pure 100% awesomeness! as it is!)
    Not to lie to You. I got a budget. a handfull of devs at my disposal and we wish to build a sandbox rpg, nad this landscape is something that will save me a lot of money. however I would lvoe to see it work on "world composition". that would be Epic. (see what I did there? ^^)

Quote Originally Posted by AngeIV View Post
    I feal concerned with this no man sky direction. I rather see some examples of a tiled streamed world with world composition working. Just a personal opinion. (doesn't mean that Your work on the planetary stuff is not pure 100% awesomeness! as it is!)
    Not to lie to You. I got a budget. a handfull of devs at my disposal and we wish to build a sandbox rpg, nad this landscape is something that will save me a lot of money. however I would lvoe to see it work on "world composition". that would be Epic. (see what I did there? ^^)
    That will work when I get to the tooling part I'm focusing on the material system and internal optimizations for now

Quote Originally Posted by NightroGames View Post
    Is this still going smoothly? As in, can we still expect an April release? If you still haven't figured out a price, I'de gladly drop down $150 if it's as great as I think it is and think it would be popular at that mid to high price point. Of course I would still be willing to pay more or less.

Also, any progress on getting it to work in editor and height maps to voxel for "caves/overhangs" etc? I need it to work with height maps I export from World Machine and then continue editing it from there. So I'm assuming that this wouldn't work on pre-made landscapes yes?
    @NightroGames It should be possible to convert height/weight map data of existing ue4 landscapes to voxels. I haven't gotten to the editor tooling yet

I couldn't get my hands on a VR headset here in India, they don't ship here. I guess I'll have to settle for gear VR
    Nah, it won't work in Gear VR. Landscape isn't suitable for mobile in general.

The way I do my terrains for Gear VR is by making them in Blender (natively or using World Machine), slicing them into however many chunks, generating LODs for each chunk, transferring vertex normals from original pre-sliced mesh, baking maps and then exporting all that into UE4. It's not a streamlined process, but it allows to have LODed terrains in Gear VR.

For this particular reason I am more interested in biome tools, to populate these terrains.

I don't know if you are aware of it yet, but I found something that would be worth looking into to get ideas on improving your product. It's called "Voxel Farm." I haven't found anything like a stamp feature yet, but improved material rendering did catch my attention.

I believe stuff are made in it's own application then exported, but it recently came out with a UE4 plugin. I am mostly just interested in the landscape part of voxel though, and not Voxel Farm's other stuff like it's voxel dynamic water, it's blocky Mincraft like architect, or it's trees. If you don't like me mentioning competitor products, I don't mind removing this comment.
    Last edited by NightroGames; 04-21-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Hey, great job you did there!

I didn't read the whole thread, but does this also support cube based voxel landscapes?

Cheers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456