User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscape Architect

Landscape Architect

Landscape architect is a procedural landscape generator. It lets you design and build landscapes within the UE4 editor workflow and automatically takes care of setting up the materials, foliage, world composition etc

It supports two types of procedural landscapes:

Heightmap Based

Voxel Based

I've implemented a perlin noise node that creates the basic structure for mountains. I've also implemented an erosion node that runs a erosion algorithm over the mountain to make it look more realistic. I'll be adding a lot more nodes and various tooling to define roads, rivers etc

Here is a 2x2km patch

Apart from the Heightmap based landscapes (which UE4 supports), I'm looking to add support for Voxel based landscapes by implementing all the awesomeness in this gpu gems article

Woahhhh Ali, back at it again with architect plugins. This looks great man, you never cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Do you have a Skype or Steam account I could contact you on? I've been working on some plugins and I have a few questions. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by KoldKam View Post
    Woahhhh Ali, back at it again with architect plugins. This looks great man, you never cease to amaze me. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Do you have a Skype or Steam account I could contact you on? I've been working on some plugins and I have a few questions. Thank you!
    @KoldKam Thanks! I'd be glad to help. My steam id is: CoreDumped2082

Luminary
    This looks super cool and is very much needed in the unreal community.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Akbar View Post
    Landscape architect is a procedural landscape generator. It lets you design and build landscapes within the UE4 editor workflow and automatically takes care of setting up the materials, foliage, world composition etc

Some early screens:

Node based Editor for designing your landscapes:

I've implemented a perlin noise node that creates the basic structure for mountains. I've also implemented an erosion node that runs a erosion algorithm over the mountain to make it look more realistic. I'll be adding a lot more nodes and various tooling to define roads, rivers etc

Here is a 2x2km patch

Please tell me this is coming in the near future?

@KoldKam Thanks! I'd be glad to help. My steam id is: CoreDumped2082
    Hey! Thank you but no users were found when I searched for that ID on Steam?

EDIT: I found you on Skype though?
    Last edited by KoldKam; 05-22-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Veteran
    Looks great!
    By the way there is already a terrain generator project using marching cubes that might help:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?58288-WIP-Procedural-Terrain&highlight=azarus
    https://github.com/azarus/TerrainGenerator

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    This looks super cool and is very much needed in the unreal community.
    Thanks @HeadClot

Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Looks great!
    By the way there is already a terrain generator project using marching cubes that might help:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?58288-WIP-Procedural-Terrain&highlight=azarus
    https://github.com/azarus/TerrainGenerator
    @sivan Thanks for the links. I've implemented marching cube today. Here's a mesh representation of a sphere density function:

Quote Originally Posted by jojo8026 View Post
    Please tell me this is coming in the near future?
    @jojo8026 It should be released in the near future

Voxel Landscapes

Landscape Architect will also support Voxel based landscapes. Here are some early results, based on the awesome GPU Gems article

These are 4 patches created with a random seed. You can create new patches anywhere on the map The meshes are continuous so tessellation should be possible

The generation is a bit slow and I'll be speeding it up with multi-threading (maybe GPGPU if possible within the editor)

Luminary
    This looks super cool!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    This looks super cool!
    Thanks!

Another density model where the noise function is strategically stretched along the surface to give it a rock like look (notice the lines running along the surface to give it a cliff like look)

There are some artifacts showing up in some places (probably due to a noise interpolation bug)

The LOD can be easily adjusted with a config parameter. I use a lower resolution mesh for collision

Mythic
    Dam Ali.

Now i love you and hate, that was my summer project (something i planned to start mid june), :P

But anyway great stuff, esp that voxel support. If you make it realtime, some great RTS may be done.

Some early screens:

Node based Editor for designing your landscapes:

Here is a 2x2km patch

Is this coming in time for 4.12 in next month or 4.13 in May?

There's some incredibly interesting stuff being done on here recently...

And none of it from Epic, like this and this and now this, Kudos!

Looking forward to seeing some close-up video fly-thru's if you have any...

Quote Originally Posted by Nawrot View Post
    Dam Ali.

Now i love you and hate, that was my summer project (something i planned to start mid june), :P

But anyway great stuff, esp that voxel support. If you make it realtime, some great RTS may be done.
    Thanks! The voxel landscape works during runtime. However I'm not sure of the Heightmap based. From a quick overview I had, UE4 removes the landscape editing features from the runtime build and is available only in the editor module. I'll look for a workaround for the runtime height map landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by jojo8026 View Post
    Is this coming in time for 4.12 in next month or 4.13 in May?
    @jojo8026 I'm sorry, I can't commit on that yet. I'll keep you posted here

Quote Originally Posted by franktech View Post
    There's some incredibly interesting stuff being done on here recently...

And none of it from Epic, like this and this and now this, Kudos!

Looking forward to seeing some close-up video fly-thru's if you have any...
    @franktech Thanks! I'll have texturing support soon and put up a flyby video

Hey! Thank you but no users were found when I searched for that ID on Steam?

EDIT: I found you on Skype though?
    Hey Ali, I don't know if you saw this or not, haha.

Hey Ali, I don't know if you saw this or not, haha.

KoldKam, I PM'ed you

Wow, I wish I was clever enough to be able to do those voxel landscapes (I'd love to have that in Eden).

Beautiful work Ali Akbar (as usual).

Mythic
    Voxel all the way really. Landscapes are so XX century tech.

You could also do voxel only, then add some editor function that bakes voxel into landscape. At this point user can edit it as landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
    Wow, I wish I was clever enough to be able to do those voxel landscapes (I'd love to have that in Eden).

Beautiful work Ali Akbar (as usual).
    Hey Simon, your dynamic textures tutorial was very helpful for city architect. Thanks for making it! Eden is looking really nice. Keep up the awesome work!

Added Ambient Occlusion baking. After generating the landscape, from each generated vertex, I shoot rays and query the nearby density field and save the occlusion data as vertex color. It is sampled for far and short occlusion ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Nawrot View Post
    Voxel all the way really. Landscapes are so XX century tech.

You could also do voxel only, then add some editor function that bakes voxel into landscape. At this point user can edit it as landscape.
    Voxels won't work with the heightmap based landscape tooling available in the editor, since the heightmap data is saved in a 2D texture, while voxel data is saved in 3D

I have ideas for some interesting tooling around this

In the mean time, some close up procedural scenes for first person / third person games

UE Community Manager
    Planets!

These planets are so cool! Looking forward to seeing updates on how this tool progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Jess.Hider View Post
    These planets are so cool! Looking forward to seeing updates on how this tool progresses
    Thanks @Jess.Hider!

Did profiling and heavily optimized the generation process. Fixed an interpolation bug with the 3D noise function, which was causing artifacts to appear all over the map.

Some pics with another density model

Working on adding threading support so patches can be built while the game is running, for infinite scrolling

Wow! This looks really amazing. Will this be feature comparable to World Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Necrophob30 View Post
    Wow! This looks really amazing. Will this be feature comparable to World Machine?
    @Necrophob30 Thanks! For heightmap based landscapes, World machine is an awesome landscape editor and I'm hoping Landscape Architect would reach that level over time for the heightmap part (with the node based editor). For Voxel Landscapes, I have a set of ideas for the tools which I think would be useful. I'll share a roadmap soon after I get the technical bit of the generation portion sorted out

Another screen

Last edited by Ali Akbar; 05-27-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

Implemented a multi-threaded build system. It has a master thread that runs in the background and manages multiple worker threads (e.g. 8 worker threads in a quad core CPU). When tasks are added to the queue system (e.g. a task to build a patch) it gets assigned to the next free thread. Each task has a priority, and the next free thread picks up the task with the highest priority. This is useful to first start building the landscape patches closer to the player / editor level viewport

The build system can run continuously in the background and can be used for infinite scrolling, by adding new patch build request as the player moves in the map

Ali - This looks awesome.

Regarding the voxel generation, it would be amazing to have a way to do something almost like Dungeon Architect but for controlling what types of voxels spawn where and being able to preview it, in particular to make creating gameplay around the voxel terrain easier, like seeding it with a certain type of 'ore' voxels etc. relegated to the interior.
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

@n00854180t Thanks for the feedback. I'll provide various tools (brush interface) and spline based tools for creating pathways / tunnels, which can be controlled with blueprints for dynamic level layouts. Since I'm not an artist, I'd love to get more feedback from the community on what kind of voxel workflow you'd like to see. I'll have more info on the tools soon

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast