Lemons Must Die, Steam Greenlight Campaign

We launched our Steam Greenlight campaign this morning. Maybe a hair too soon as gameplay renders weren’t complete yet, but they are uploading now.

It is a 3D Action Platformer with Procedural levels. Main gameplay area is Isometric view, hidden tunnel areas are to be over the shoulder 3rd person shooter view.

This is from a 2 person development team, nights and weekends work. International team, I’m in Texas, programmer and some gameplay design and my partner, Hiram, in Bahrain did the concept, art, story and main game design. We are planning to launch early access this summer with 2 worlds complete, only showing the first world right now.

Please like our facebook page, vote yes for us on Steam, and share. Thank you.

Our IndieDb page: Lemons Must Die Windows, Mac, Linux game - Indie DB

And, a direct link to the Game Trailer: Lemons Must Die Gameplay Demo Greenlight - YouTube

Hello Everyone, some screenshots to introduce the game better. Thank you for your support!

Haha, nice! Good job guys!

Thank you! We also have a cinematic trailer filmed inside UE4:

Looks interesting, would loved to see some gameplay in the trailer

Looking polished, nice work!

Thanks guys!

here’s the gameplay demo for Greenlight. If you find this interesting, let us know what you think, if there’s something you’d like to see in the game story/feature-wise. Any feedback is welcome.

If you have a bit more time,join our Greenlight discussion group.

nice artwork! I wish you the best!

Thanks Majek!

Thanks for voting everyone. We got successfully Greenlit yesterday.

Taking in some of the feedback we have changed the game perspective to over the shoulder with a fps zoom. We will put up some video’s in the next few weeks showing more of the game.

I’ve seen this somewhere else, haven’t you use Steamgifts to promote it?

The main problem I see, is when the player is behind an object. You can make the object more transparent, use a shader for the player or any other technique.

I’m not sure what Steamgifts is. The first weekend that it was on it’s Steam Greenlight campaign we did do some advertising on Facebook, but turned that off after a couple days because most people coming from there did not have a Steam Account. Even if we did, how would that be a bad thing?

Our initial solution was to draw outlines for the player, enemy and pickups for view through objects. But, based on more feedback that people would prefer an over the shoulder or fps view for jumping platforms and aiming so we changed the perspective, controls and aiming. We don’t have video up of it yet, but it is now a close over the shoulder view with the ability to zoom into fps with a retical for better aiming.

Now, objects will never obscure the view to the player.

Steamgifts is a place to trade and giveaway Steam games. I mentioned it because from time to time someone creates giveaways to promote games, Youtube or Twitch channels and I thought you did that too.

I’ve spoken with some developers there and they told me that promoting with giveaways is EXTREMELY effective. So I was curious because I’m sure I’ve seen your game featured somewhere and I wanted to know what helped you the most.

Giveaways is one way I have very high on the list and another one is being included in a Greenlight Bundle with Groupees.

Now that you’re greenlit you could check that community out, many developers make massive giveaways to get reviews which is very important too.

We advertised on Facebook for the first 3 days but turned it off, most people coming from there did not have Steam accounts so couldn’t vote.

What worked was making personal requests to people we know, friends, family, co-workers as well as bringing it up when meeting new people and asking them first if they had a Steam account and then if so to Yes Vote it, making sure to tell them there is no obligation to buy to vote Yes. Many of those people then did the same and asked others to vote for it.

I see, thanks.

Here is a video update to the game. One of the main things we’ve changed is up the camera over the shoulder from it being an isometric view before, with that we had to change the controls a lot.

Not too bad looking, but why lemons in a desert? What’s the point? The shooting looks bad in the video when you are jumping and firing. I’d get annoyed quickly with this.
I am not trying to be an ***, this looks better than 99% of the **** most people try to pass off on steam.

There is a story that is given in cut-scenes that intermix in with the gameplay. So, there is a point as much as there is any point in any video game where you shoot strange creatures and jump on platforms as the main mechanics. But, we don’t want to show any of that in the gameplay video’s, as well that’s the story and what you’ll see as you play when we release.

Can you explain more about the jumping and firing together that you don’t like? Would you prefer if you could not shoot while you were in a jump, or do you mean something else? What looks bad about it? Do you think the projectiles are too large?

We have very recently just met our Alpha goals, with all main systems in place. As we work towards Beta things will still change, including some of the art work.

Thanks,