User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 64 of 64

Thread: Pull Request - World Origin Shifting in MP

  1. #41
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nkey View Post
    PR is merged
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Unreal Engine 4.14 can't come soon enough
    Regards,
    Benjamin D. Smith

    Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
    Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

  2. #42
    0
    Luminary
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.smith View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Unreal Engine 4.14 can't come soon enough
    I know right!

    I am hyped for 4.14

  3. #43
    0
    Is this done with blueprints only?

    Will this be able to handle situations where co-ordinate bounds exist out of WORLD_MAX (10KM from origin) on server . I am asking this because no matter the amount of shifting on client the server would still run on a single co-ordinate system which would be limited to WORLD_MAX.

    Does this setup takes care of that?
    Last edited by Commander Shepard; 10-17-2016 at 04:15 AM.

  4. #44
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    139
    https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-4-14-released

    New: World Origin rebasing has been added as an experimental feature!

    This means that the World Origin can be different on both the client and the server.

    This feature will continue to be improved over the next releases.
    Name:  unknown.png
Views: 830
Size:  347.3 KB
    Name:  unknown.png
Views: 806
Size:  328.2 KB

  5. #45
    0
    Luminary
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,653
    This is very exciting

    Happy that this is finally in engine

  6. #46
    0
    Where would be a proper place to insert/use these two new nodes in a multiplayer blueprint game?

  7. #47
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynedahll View Post
    Where would be a proper place to insert/use these two new nodes in a multiplayer blueprint game?
    I'd use them in the player controller. On each tick (or every few seconds) check what the current player camera location is, then measure the distance to the last origin and if the distance is greater than some threshold, rebase local origin onto zero with current position and store that origin location. Rinse and repeat.

  8. #48
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynedahll View Post
    Where would be a proper place to insert/use these two new nodes in a multiplayer blueprint game?
    Mostly before and after sending coordinate as raw vectors over network.

  9. #49
    0
    Any chance of getting an updated example project in here? The current one is full of errors

  10. #50
    0
    +1 on the updated project if possible?

  11. #51

  12. #52

  13. #53
    0
    Good Heavens! That is sooooo sweet. Thanks!

  14. #54
    0
    Does it allow to have world bigger than 20km x 20km on server ?
    I ask becuase origin shifting shifts origin to the player view location, and on server there is no real player view location, so in theory server would still be limited to the world max.
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

  15. #55
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by iniside View Post
    Does it allow to have world bigger than 20km x 20km on server ?
    I ask becuase origin shifting shifts origin to the player view location, and on server there is no real player view location, so in theory server would still be limited to the world max.
    Yes, WORLD_MAX is still the limit.

  16. #56
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nkey View Post
    Yes, WORLD_MAX is still the limit.
    Why is that though? What if I disable boundary checking and make say a 200x200km world?
    What kind of issues would I be facing?

  17. #57
    0
    I've noticed that this affects the camera if camera lag is set to on. Is there a better solution to turning it off, setting the new origin location, then turning it back on?

  18. #58
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Inselvini View Post
    Why is that though? What if I disable boundary checking and make say a 200x200km world?
    What kind of issues would I be facing?
    The usual example shown on the forums is jitter, particularly weapon attachments beyond a certain point.
    But for large-worlds / space levels, apocalyptic cases of physics totally breaking down isn't the full picture.

    So being interested to know too, I've been trying out some tests around 200-500 Km / up to 2000 Km etc.
    In short, while there are theoretical limits, the real practical limits or where the true problems start varies.
    The first is rendering / break down in depth. Meshes do not render in the right order beyond 100-200 km.
    One solution is blending multiple cameras of varying depths, but unlike Unity UE4 doesn't support this atm.

    But if you can work around this then you can make large-world SP / local-split-screen MP space games etc.
    Because Physics / Projectiles and Interp movement appears to be quite robust in certain specific scenarios.
    Overall, the scale of the ships plus their relative speeds seems to be the significant key factor for accuracy.
    Whereas normal scale player-characters & AI with fine movements / precision animations don't play as well.

  19. #59
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by franktech View Post
    The usual example shown on the forums is jitter, particularly weapon attachments beyond a certain point.
    But for large-worlds / space levels, apocalyptic cases of physics totally breaking down isn't the full picture.

    So being interested to know too, I've been trying out some tests around 200-500 Km / up to 2000 Km etc.
    In short, while there are theoretical limits, the real practical limits or where the true problems start varies.
    The first is rendering / break down in depth. Meshes do not render in the right order beyond 100-200 km.
    One solution is blending multiple cameras of varying depths, but unlike Unity UE4 doesn't support this atm.
    http://outerra.blogspot.com/2009/08/logarithmic-z-buffer.html
    Doesn't unreal have it ? That probabaly would best solution (along with rendering within camera local space).
    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

  20. #60
    0
    I know I did some moons (ok sphere's) a million units out in the sky in Eden and they rendered just fine.

  21. #61
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
    I know I did some moons (ok sphere's) a million units out in the sky in Eden and they rendered just fine.
    Almost certainly uses logarithmic then, since hyperbolic wouldn't work at that range. Best way to know for sure would be to check it in the .usf file tho. Anyone know where the z-depth is set up?
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

    Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

  22. #62
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
    I know I did some moons (ok sphere's) a million units out in the sky in Eden and they rendered just fine.
    From your observation point a million units away or whatever etc:
    Did you test scenarios where moons / planets overlap each other?

  23. #63
    0
    Yep, one was partly behind the other and they were both half behind the horizon of my planet mesh.

  24. #64
    0
    Hi Nkey!

    I was wondering: why not give us the option to choose larger worlds and sacrifice some extra bandwidth? It sounds like that was your original plan but from what I can tell you're only sending that one extra bit at most.

    Thanks,
    Jin

    PS: Is Nkey a play on Enki, the Sumerian god?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •