Birds

I’m proud to announce the release of Birds for Unreal Engine 4 and 5.

Birds:
These Birds will walk and hop to random Ground Targets taking breaks to feed. They will run then fly away from any Actor with an Enemy Tag. Once in the air they will fly to random Sky Targets (for an adjustable amount of time) after which they will return to the ground. Birds also now comes with Perching behavior. Easy setup, just drag some Sky Targets, Perch Targets and Ground Targets into your level, and the birds will take care of the rest. You can also play as a bird with all walking and flying functionality.

Birds v3.0 Includes:

• (3) rigged and animated Bird skeletal meshes (Crow, Pigeon, and Seagull)

• (60) Animations

• (6) Animation Blueprints

• (3) Character Blueprints with 1 Parent Class

• (2) Game modes (Play as the Enemy character, and Play as a Bird)

• High resolution textures (4K) and materials

• Physics Assets

• LOD’s

• Single trace obstacle avoidance

• Ragdoll on hit

Technical Details

New in version 3.0:

In v3.0 the Birds no longer use Tick, this comes with a significant performance boost.

We are now in a full AI Controller and Behavior Tree environment. The Birds will keep track of all Enemy Actors in their Perception range. If an Enemy gets too close the Birds will run then fly away. In the air they will fly to random Sky Targets. After flying for a while they will either return to the ground or perch on a Perching Target. Both Perching and Flying can be enabled or disabled on a per Bird Basis depending on your desired behavior.

Birds is now available in the Marketplace :slight_smile:

6 Likes

i think the start of the flight from the ground is a bit to slow birds tend to clap their wings very fast at start and also in the lading

Looking very nice :slight_smile: there can never be too many animals in games. Gives nice boost for immersion.

Loooovvveee this! Incoming project called deers next? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like

i would need this very much !!
so please keep on with it

some things you should improove in my opinion:

• running animation looks very odd
  • the wings should be flapping much faster, especially when starting
  • definable areas, objects, where birds should land (e.g. branches on trees, top of walls etc…)
  • additional bird models
  • bird swarms

please consider these points and it will be an instant buy for me. Always wanted some conrolable birds !

1 Like

is it easy to make for project where make for that change character that change stay on ground bird to flying bird? making for eg bird simulator and as i watched there is play as bird

1 Like

Yes bird animation looks odd, they look like dropping leaves… you should make them fly faster, or produce more random movements… it is difficult to describe actually. One good example is this library:
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/
It is OpenSteer project, you can download, compile and then see how they achieve (but they are complicated, so probably just integrate the C++ library will be very nice).

1 Like

How much this will approximately cost??

1 Like

Hello everyone
I will be supporting this product for quite some time.
So thank you for your requests for the first update, and please let me know if there are any additional features you are looking for.

The introductory price for Birds will be $29

1 Like

nice, can’t wait. Price is very cheap and use that bird in simulator project.

1 Like

Nice work!

can’t wait 4 day. Then can finish my awesome bird game :slight_smile:

My only concern is the wing flapping speed when taking off and landing. How easy would that be for us to adjust once we’ve purchased it?

it shouldn’t be too difficult, This is at the top of the list for the first update :slight_smile:

What a cool idea! Great job!

Birds is live in the marketplace now :slight_smile:
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/birds

Congrats on the release! Picking this up tomorrow! (Payday)

I’ll certainly be buying this once your first update is live and the animations are cleaned up a bit.

If your update includes an option to change flap speed for taking off, and flap/fly speed when in air you got my money.