Customization of SteamVR

We were running our first public demo with the Vive yesterday. We were demoing own content and we had two major issues with some things of SteamVR.

• The “White Room”: it’s shown between maps or when no VR is running. Can this room be customized? We’d like to make it cool. Put our logo in there, remove the white ceiling and have some sky there, stuff like this. Is this possible?

• “System Button”: on the controllers the system button brings up the Steam menu. However, there seems to be no way to disable this button, or to use it in UE4. Does anyone know how to disable the Steam menu? We had several people telling us “the colors were wrong” until we realized they accidentially hit the system button and had that blueish overlay. The people, new to VR and the Vive, didn’t know that this should not be there. We didn’t recognize it, because on the monitor this overlay is not shown :frowning:

Ideas? Suggestions? :slight_smile:

Look at how Vlave did it for the lab or ask Hover Junkers devs how they set up the custom loading screens or look at documentation, google it alternatively.

Add these launch parameters to disable steam overlay: “-nosteamvr -nodashboard”

It’s worth mentioning that Hover Junkers was made in Unity, not UE4. I believe The Lab was also Unity, but I’m not positive.

Is the source code from The Lab available?

Thanks, that already helps a lot!

Do we need to put those parameter on the launch of UE4 or Steam ?
I dont seem to manage to make it work.
Thanks

If you talk about the matrix camera effect, it can be call by one press or double press in SteamVR > camera setting

No… it looked like the Steam storefront. But the computer was offline so it couldn’t load any content. Hence, only the transparent blue background I guess.

I was just looking into this recently. You can do it in C++:

/** Override the skybox used in the compositor (e.g. for during level loads when the app can't feed scene images fast enough)
 * Order is Front, Back, Left, Right, Top, Bottom.  If only a single texture is passed, it is assumed in lat-long format.
  If two are passed, it is assumed a lat-long stereo pair. /
 virtual EVRCompositorError SetSkyboxOverride( VR_ARRAY_COUNT( unTextureCount ) const Texture_t *pTextures, uint32_t unTextureCount ) = 0;

/* Resets compositor skybox back to defaults. /
 virtual void ClearSkyboxOverride() = 0;

Help me,Thank you.
I want customized white room too!! but I be unable to.please help me .Thank you!!

Also wondering about this, I’ve been looking around off and on like once a month waiting for a thread like this or some information about it but I never find anything. So just to be clear, I’m wondering when loading a new map the hmd defaults to the steam vr waiting room with a gray box that usually displays a custom image (loading Arizona Sunshine as an example). I have found threads about splash screens but never got any of these working, is there some blueprint based solution for this right now or not? I’m close to releasing my demo and this is one of the last unresolved issues I have.

Have you tried C ++ to solve this problem?

I have not, we don’t really have a programmer on our team atm, so we are trying to do everything using blueprints.

You are very powerful,blueprits is the proceduce。

I research OpenVR SDK find, the white room can’t modify.

this is openVR SDK origin:"When the application exits, or otherwise stops calling Submit for more than 10 frames in a row, it will fade back to an empty grid scene. "

If you want create loading scene ,you can try ue4 LevelStream.

best