User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Customization of SteamVR

  1. #1
    0

    Customization of SteamVR

    We were running our first public demo with the Vive yesterday. We were demoing own content and we had two major issues with some things of SteamVR.

    - The "White Room": it's shown between maps or when no VR is running. Can this room be customized? We'd like to make it cool. Put our logo in there, remove the white ceiling and have some sky there, stuff like this. Is this possible?

    - "System Button": on the controllers the system button brings up the Steam menu. However, there seems to be no way to disable this button, or to use it in UE4. Does anyone know how to disable the Steam menu? We had several people telling us "the colors were wrong" until we realized they accidentially hit the system button and had that blueish overlay. The people, new to VR and the Vive, didn't know that this should not be there. We didn't recognize it, because on the monitor this overlay is not shown

    Ideas? Suggestions?

  2. #2
    0
    Samaritan
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    121
    Look at how Vlave did it for the lab or ask Hover Junkers devs how they set up the custom loading screens or look at documentation, google it alternatively.

    Add these launch parameters to disable steam overlay: "-nosteamvr -nodashboard"

  3. #3
    0
    It's worth mentioning that Hover Junkers was made in Unity, not UE4. I believe The Lab was also Unity, but I'm not positive.

  4. #4
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AtsK View Post
    Look at how Vlave did it for the lab or ask Hover Junkers devs how they set up the custom loading screens or look at documentation, google it alternatively.
    Is the source code from The Lab available?

    Quote Originally Posted by AtsK View Post
    Add these launch parameters to disable steam overlay: "-nosteamvr -nodashboard"
    Thanks, that already helps a lot!

  5. #5
    0
    Do we need to put those parameter on the launch of UE4 or Steam ?
    I dont seem to manage to make it work.
    Thanks

  6. #6
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by btengelh View Post
    ...We had several people telling us "the colors were wrong" until we realized they accidentially hit the system button and had that blueish overlay. The people, new to VR and the Vive, didn't know that this should not be there. ....
    If you talk about the matrix camera effect, it can be call by one press or double press in SteamVR > camera setting

  7. #7
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yansko View Post
    If you talk about the matrix camera effect, it can be call by one press or double press in SteamVR > camera setting
    No... it looked like the Steam storefront. But the computer was offline so it couldn't load any content. Hence, only the transparent blue background I guess.

  8. #8
    0
    I was just looking into this recently. You can do it in C++:

    Code:
     /** Override the skybox used in the compositor (e.g. for during level loads when the app can't feed scene images fast enough)
     * Order is Front, Back, Left, Right, Top, Bottom.  If only a single texture is passed, it is assumed in lat-long format.
      If two are passed, it is assumed a lat-long stereo pair. /
     virtual EVRCompositorError SetSkyboxOverride( VR_ARRAY_COUNT( unTextureCount ) const Texture_t *pTextures, uint32_t unTextureCount ) = 0;
    
     /* Resets compositor skybox back to defaults. /
     virtual void ClearSkyboxOverride() = 0;

    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/blob/master/headers/openvr.h

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •