Material Customized UV's Input Workflow.

In the quest to optimize a project with lots of low/med res meshes with materials consisting of file textures and tiled noise and normal textures for variation I came across the Customized UV entry in the Unreal Docs:

I quote:
** This offers an excellent way to speed up even just tiling a texture. **
How can I pass this up!?!
So I was wondering if anyone can confirm the workflow because it is a bit unclear how to set things up in a way that will actually give me the optimized materials I am looking for.
Below is a picture of a setup that I found that actually works. The strange thing is that I need a TexCoord plugged into my Textures the tell it to reference the TexCoord in the Customized UV inputs.
In theory this means all of my non-base textures would need two TexCoord nodes…which I am fine with…I just want to make sure this the the intended workflow.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
~

Hi animatedfox,

It looks to me like you have it set up correctly. The node going in to the CUV1 input is the one that defines what CUV1 is. You are correct in using another TextureCoordinate node with the index set to 1 to reference CUV1. You are also correct to leave the tiling settings default on that node, there is no need to change anything else besides the index as the output of all texture coordinate nodes with index 1 is being completely over-written by the vertex shader supplied version.

For example, sometimes for Flipbook materials I will do the flipbook math using CUV0 and then I don’t even need the texturecoordinate node referenced twice because all textures default to using UV0, and if you define CUV0 to be something other than the original coordinates it will replace all the default 0 coordinates too. Very handy sometimes!

Thanks so much for confirming that Ryan.

Thank you for writing this up and clearing up the mystery of the usage of multiple customized UVs.

I wish the official documentation page would include this information.