Build And Test on IOS Device Problems

Hello,

Hope someone can shed some light on my problem.

I have a Mac ElCapitan set up with UE4 on along with XCODE and all the usual IOS Dev tools, I can run XCODE projects without any problem on device
when i create a project in UE4 and try to Build on device, or build .IPA and install with ITUNES, i get an error below.

Just before i post the error I am currently trying to use XCODE 7 provisioning, and cert as follows

And followed the procedure below word for word, found on UE4 Forum

With Xcode 7 it is possible to run and test your apps on a real device (not a simulator) without Apple Developer subscription (~$100). It even works with Unreal 4.8.

For a beta period you need the following:

• Current stable version of Xcode to compile your game (get Xcode 6.4 from the Mac App Store)
• Current beta version of Xcode 7 to generate certificates and provisioning

You can get Xcode 7 from Apple here Sign In - Apple (register a free Apple account first)

Steps:

1. Connect an iOS device that you want to use for testing
  2. Start Xcode 7, create a new iOS project from a template (anything will do)
  3. Go to Xcode Preferences — Accounts and add your Apple account information
  4. Close Xcode Preferences, now on the Xcode toolbar set the Active Scheme (near the Stop button) to your app, and set the connected iOS device as a deployment target
  5. Select the root item in the Project Navigator on the left to open project settings, select your app target, select the General tab
  6. Change the Bundle Identifier in Xcode to the bundle identifier of your Unreal game (Unreal Project Settings — iOS — Bundle Information — Bundle Identifier)
  7. Ensure that the Team drop-down is set to your Apple account and click the Fix button under it
  8. Run the empty app once on the target device
  9. It will set certificates and provisioning just for this specific bundle identifier and just for the following selected device
  10. Stop the app, close Xcode and go back to Unreal with your game

ERROR LOG BELOW

LogPlayLevel: mono: [deploy] Created deployment server.
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] Trying to connect to mobile device running iOS …
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] Mobile Device ‘…’ connected
LogPlayLevel: mono: Device ‘…’ with id bfc59f033765e1d7441e6d16539d67f5eb983119 is being checked against bfc59f033765e1d7441e6d16539d67f5eb983119.
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] Transferring IPA to device ‘…’ …
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 6144 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 10240 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 15360 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 19456 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 24576 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 28672 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 33792 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 37888 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 43008 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 47104 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 52224 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 56320 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 61440 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 65536 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 70656 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 74752 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 79872 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 83968 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 89088 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 93184 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 98304 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 102400 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 106496 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Transferred 111616 KB of 114591 KB
LogPlayLevel: mono: … Finished copying to ‘PublicStaging/TESTIOS.ipa’ in 5.95 s
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] Installing IPA on device ‘…’ …
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Install is 5% complete at phase ‘CreatingStagingDirectory’
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Install is 15% complete at phase ‘ExtractingPackage’
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Install is 20% complete at phase ‘InspectingPackage’
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Install is 20% complete at phase ‘TakingInstallLock’
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Install is 30% complete at phase ‘PreflightingApplication’
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Install is 30% complete at phase ‘InstallingEmbeddedProfile’
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD] … Install is 40% complete at phase ‘VerifyingApplication’
LogPlayLevel: mono: Install \ Update of “TESTIOS.ipa” failed with Application Verification Failed Error in 11.21 seconds
LogPlayLevel: mono: [DD]
LogPlayLevel: mono: Exiting.
LogPlayLevel: CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 19.089961s to run mono, ExitCode=1
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.AutomationException: Command failed (Result:1): /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.11/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/IOS/DeploymentServer.exe Install -ipa “/Users/DSB/Documents/Unreal Projects/TESTIOS/Binaries/IOS/TESTIOS.ipa” -device bfc59f033765e1d7441e6d16539d67f5eb983119 -addit
ionalcommandline "-SessionId=CFA36EDBDB46E33E192A609D1BD77A13 -SessionOwner=“DSB” -SessionName=“Launch On Device” ". See logfile for details: ‘DeploymentServer-2016.04.11-19.50.20.txt’
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog (System.String App, System.String CommandLine, System.String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, System.String Input, ERunOptions Options, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary2 EnvVars) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog (AutomationTool.CommandEnvironment Env, System.String App, System.String CommandLine, System.String LogName, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, System.String Input, ERunOptions Options, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary2 EnvVars) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at IOSPlatform.Deploy (AutomationTool.ProjectParams Params, DeploymentContext SC) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at Project.Deploy (AutomationTool.ProjectParams Params) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun (AutomationTool.ProjectParams Params) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at BuildCookRun.ExecuteBuild () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.BuildCommand.Execute () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute (System.Collections.Generic.List1 CommandsToExecute, Tools.DotNETCommon.CaselessDictionary.CaselessDictionary1 Commands) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Automation.Process (System.String] CommandLine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc (System.Object Param) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance (System.Func`2 Main, System.Object Param) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
LogPlayLevel: Domain_ProcessExit
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Deploy Task, Time: 29.353864
LogPlayLevel: RunUAT ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
PackagingResults:Error: Error Launch failed! Unknown Error

I have tied the Google with no help, and loosing the plot now, Many thanks in advance

Have you tried deploying from within the Xcode project file as opposed to from UE editor? Deploying to iOS devices can indeed have all sorts of minor/major troubles that get in the way of a successful deployment. In the log it doesn’t seem to indicate any specific issue it just states “Unknown Error” this is why I would suggest deploying from Xcode you are likely to get more verbose information and if it does work you can at least eliminate provisioning and code signing issues as the cause of the error.

Hi thanks for the response, how would I go about deploying ue4 project from Xcode ?

Once you’re in the editor off the file menu you can choose “Open Xcode project”. One in there look for a build target with the name of your project and switch to it. Note that you’ll also need to change the build scheme being built likely. I think it defaults to “Development Editor” which is not what you want you would want to run the game on device try using “Development” and see if that works for you. I’m sure there is some UE documentation on all these steps but that’s the loose description. Let me know if you have troubles getting this to work.

Great thank you I will have a go with that and let you know

I have the same issue. It seems to die with the “Application Verification Failed Error” - did you find a solution?

No but im on the same question as yourself, hopefully we can get an answer on this ?

Did anyone find a solution to this?
I have the same problem with Unreal 4.12.3

My app is disappearing when I try to install ipa using itunes.

When I try to launch from editor it says : Install \ Update of “MyProject3.ipa” failed with Application Verification Failed Error in 3.40 seconds

I then found this thread. However, for me:

“generate xcode project” in ue4 editor is grayed out.

Using. Xcode 7.3.1 and UE4 4.12.5

Any suggestions?

Are you working on a C++ project or is it a blueprint based project?

I was trying to do it on the cheap. I gave up and paid for a developer account and followed the instructions. Everything is fine now.

just wonder… so without a Macbook & xcode(free) account cannot test built on me ipad/iphone??

Without Mac you can test your game on iPhone/iPad but only if:

1. You have Blueprint-only project.
  2. You don’t have enabled Third-party plugins.
  3. You don’t use Metal.
  4. You only want to test. You need Mac if you want to submit app (and every update) to the AppStore.

ok here is what i’ve got so far…
borrowed a mac… install xcode7.3.1… add iphone… testrun a sample in iphone from xcode it work… get mobileprovision & iphone certificate…

move to PC… imported both(mobileprovision & developer certificate) in UE4 project (greenlit)…
built ipa… no error… installed to iphone from iTunes(drag drop ipa to itunes)… installer will not install the created IPA to iphone… no error no warning no nothing…

I don’t know if is the same problem, but i did have trouble deploying to my iPhone because i set incorrectly production and debugging versions. if you want to try your app with your home device, make sure your provisioning and unreal project are set in developer mode. (No shipping).

thanks… yes mine is set to developer mode… when packaging the ipa