Thread: April #UE4JAM, April 14-17th. THEME: SPRING INTO THE FUTURE

UE Community Manager

April #UE4JAM, April 14-17th. THEME: SPRING INTO THE FUTURE

WINNERS!
    Spring In The Future - islipaway
    VR 2000 - Keyle
    Grabbity - Broad Strokes

THE RULES

• We will announce the theme on the April 14th stream, when the jam officially kicks-off.
    • Make an amazing game by yourself or with a team (up to 5) around the given theme in Unreal Engine 4.
    • Submit a download link to the SUBMISSION THREAD before midnight on the night of April 17th/ morning of April 18th including the following:
      • Team Name
      • List of Team Members
      • Name of submission (Please format it with your team's name attached ex. TeamName_GameName)
        After you post your submission, PM me with the email addresses of your team members (up to 5), the name of your team and the name of your project. That makes it easier to get in contact with everyone, so make sure to send that info over!
    • A small panel at Epic will judge entries on the following criteria:
      • Unique use of theme
      • Fun factor
      • Overall Visuals

• Detailed Rules
    • Intel Sweepstakes
    • UE4jam Rules
      All submissions will be featured in a highlight reel posted to our YouTube and shown on Twitch.

INTEL 750 SERIES SSD SWEEPSTAKES

All participants of the April UE4jam who submit an entry will be entered into a drawing to win a brand new 750 Series 400gb SSD. Four (4) SSDs will be raffled off during the revealing of the winner of the UE4jam on the April 28th livestream.

THE PRIZES

The top 3 submissions will receive an Epic Swag Box with all sorts of goodies, a "Game Jam Finalist" forum badge, a featured playthrough on the April 28th Twitch stream, as well as a highlight on Unreal Engine blog!

AIPD Keys

In addition to the Epic Swag Box, each member of the winning teams will be receiving a free copy of AIPD. You will have a choice of Xbox One, PS4 or Steam keys.

Houdini Licenses

In addition to the Epic Swag Box, each member of the winning teams will be receiving 1-year of Houdini Indie (including the Houdini Engine) provided by SideFX. This amazing tool can be used with UE4 through the official Houdini plugin.

Happy developing, and good luck!

Theme Announce Countdown
    Submission Deadline Countdown

Streaming your work on Twitch? Let us know so we can follow along!
    Are you on Twitter? Show off your work using the #ue4jam hashtag!
    Make sure you catch Allar and JV's streams of all the entries once the deadline is up: http://www.twitch.tv/awesomeallar https://www.twitch.tv/jvthewanderer

-------- PARTICIPATING TEAMS --------
    In order to streamline the playing, judging, recording, and winners announcement process, we're requesting that teams participating in the jam let us know beforehand in order to prepare appropriately for the event. We'll update the list with links to the games afterwards, too, so everyone can find your title without having to scroll through the whole thread Pre-registration is not required for entry, and we know people will come in later, but it will greatly aid us in turning everything around quickly. We appreciate your help in making this event awesome

Please send myself a PM with your team name and number of team members and we'll get you added to the list!

1. Materialise Team - Materialise
    2. t3am - Red Dwarf Harvest
    3. Shatty's Half-Baked Games - Pogo To The Future
    4. A Puro Mate - Spring Into The Moon
    5. Sleepingdragon - Sakura adventure
    6. Derzo Studios - Futal Project
    7. Scorched - Our Only Hope
    8. OSIndustries - TimeRunner
    9. Mechanical Banana - Spring Rocket
    10. No Idea Team - Sprint to the future
    11. Rad Boys - SpringIsland
    12. Maxpower Games - Spring Theory
    13. islipaway - Spring in the Future
    14. Team Allshar - Chrono Glitch
    15. Shankem - Family Sim
    16. Crazy Monkey - The Art Of Spring
    17. Cartboard - FreezeFrameWorld
    18. Victory is Mine - HotSpringTimeMachine
    19. Imagine Studio - Through Time
    20. Keyle - V.R. 2000
    21. Alderbit - ChronoHoops
    22. Timer Games - The Snow Must Go!
    23. Shadow Ninja Games - Race to the Future
    24. Crackpot Gumption - Generations
    25. CurrentFrame - CatWhack
    26. Bananabread - LEAP
    27. Inclement Games - Trials of Parcae
    28. Cloth Cap Games - BouncingBack
    29. 2Games Studios - Time Rider!
    30. Shotgun Clown - SpringForward
    31. VoBa - Zombie Escaper 20XX
    32. Aesir Codes - Spring! Into The Future
    33. Jamming Games - Bomb-Bastic!
    34. DigiBotts - CLICKSPRING
    35. TrustAndLove - FutureSurf
    36. Boysenberry - Spring2066
    37. Neon Newt - Grasshopper
    38. Woeavatar - Platforming into the future
    39. Brogrammers - IJustWannaGoHome
    40. Enter studio - Spring into the future!
    41. Succubi in Hats - Rumble
    42. Stormbrew Studios - The Lost Cave
    43. TinkurIt - SpringItOn
    44. V for Victory - Spring Into The Future
    45. Broad Strokes - Grabbity
    46. Rampaging Blue Whale Games - Spring Jumper
    47. Meatbags V2.0 - Gladiator Farm
    48. Hako - Leap
    49. FreshLemonade - ColonizeMars
    50. Alexotronic feat. Britt - NohlCraft + Squaky
    51. Od1n - SpringSavesTheFuture
    52. Tejas Queso - Time Balls
    53. Unforgiven - Time Fold
    54. Ormanator - TimeHopper
    55. Blue Magic - Blast Me Naut
    56. HeadFarmers - Spring Of Time
    57. LeoCurtss - At Your Service
    58. Vindicate Interactive - Time Pirates

Helpful Links for Jamming!

Official Sites

Getting Started Docs
    Wiki Tutorials
    Wiki Code Tutorials/Snippets
    Training Videos
    Tutorials and Guides
    Blueprint Getting Started Thread
    C++ Getting Started Thread

Youtube

Unreal Engine's Official Youtube Channel
    Peter L Newton's Youtube Channel
    TeslaDev's Youtube Channel
    Mathew Wadstein's Youtube Channel
    Luos' Youtube Channel

Tutorials and Guides

Tutorials by Tom Looman
    Blueprint Guides by Romero
    Gameplay Guides by Kitatus
    Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 04-29-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added helpful links
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Going to be hard to top last month! Looking forward to it!

I'll be doing a Vive game, want to let the judges know beforehand so they can prepare. Others will probably join me later so I will send a PM once it gets sorted out. Good luck everyone!

Woot! Can't wait! Had a lot of fun last time

Boarding the Jam Train!

can't wait for this Jam!
    Last edited by NanoVoxel; 04-11-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Infiltrator
    Hi guys ! I am a 3D artist and a programmer (blueprint only). I already participated of a Unreal Game Jam so I know the rush !!!
    here follows a link of my works.
    https://rodrigomf.artstation.com/
    any interested please PM me.

Aww yes! This time I can finally use my pc! Can't wait

Infiltrator

Wink

I have just started building the Team, and will only be using people with absolutely No experience in programming or game design, or anything similar.. so it should be amazingly fun no matter what we come up with.
    *rubbing hands together waiting for that theme*

Good luck to everyone!
    Last edited by Looniper; 04-05-2016 at 02:33 PM.

I'll be playing ya'll games again this april as well. https://www.twitch.tv/jvthewanderer

Not sure if i'll be joining the game jam though.
    Unreal-Chan v1.2 is ready!
    Link

Twitch:/jvthewanderer Twitter:@JvtheWanderer

My wife is very pregnant, due date is any day now, so ... hm... I'm in? Maybe.

Looking forward to the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by keyle View Post
    My wife is very pregnant, due date is any day now, so ... hm... I'm in? Maybe.

Looking forward to the theme.
    Congratulations fellow devdad!

I'll give it another go! On my own this time, and with much less free time over the period. Good luck!

Infiltrator
    Is someone looking for someone who is pretty decent in blueprints?

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Looniper View Post
    I have just started building the Team, and will only be using people with absolutely No experience in programming or game design, or anything similar.. so it should be amazingly fun no matter what we come up with.
    *rubbing hands together waiting for that theme*

Good luck to everyone!
    Are you still looking for newbies :-) ?

UE Community Manager
    Just a heads-up, I changed the stream where we announce the winner to the 28th, we had a lot of scheduling conflicts with ECGC coming up.
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

My life is now in a place I can participate in this month's jam and I am psyched! I am throwing a team together, shoot me a PM if you are interested in joining. I am proficient in blueprints and am also an experienced audio engineer. I have participated in 6 ue4jams so far and have worked solo and part of teams. If you are interested in joining a fun team and would like to lend your skills, PM me with your preferred role (coding (bp/c++) modeling, audio, animation, UI etc.), a link to some cool stuff you've made, your skype username so we can touch base easier, your familiarity with using source control in UE4, and your timezone.

Thanks!

p.s. I'll also take invitations if you have a team and think I'll be a good fit!
    Last edited by Graeme_Crackers; 04-11-2016 at 04:42 PM.
    You can find me on twitter: @graeme_crackers
    And streaming game dev on twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/freshlemonade_

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing A Few Heads View Post
    I'll be doing a Vive game, want to let the judges know beforehand so they can prepare. Others will probably join me later so I will send a PM once it gets sorted out. Good luck everyone!
    I have a Vive and sent you a pm if you'd be interested in teaming up on a Vive game. I'm looking forward to doing my first jam with it.

Infiltrator
    My First go. Really looking forward to making something fun

hi, i'm a passionate gamer, i would like to make a team and be a ue developer for fun, i've a proficient ue dev at my side , need some artists.
    someone there?

bye,
    Ale
    Last edited by CalebLost; 04-12-2016 at 04:15 PM.

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboss89 View Post
    Are you still looking for newbies :-) ?
    Sorry I didn't find this sooner.
    I have 4 now, but a 1 team size. An accountant in Indonesia, a construction company owner in Missouri, a driver and a math teacher in Kansas.

I wonder if my comments such as "even if it's artwork done in crayon, I'll use it" were misleading though, because they each offered to help "if needed" but didn't know what they could offer.
    So I may end up working alone - which in itself could be quite interesting. Not sure how I would go about building audio, mesh, material assets and designing everything from the ground up alone in such a short time.. but others clearly do it, so I'm eager to find out.

Let's do this ,hope this time i do it better than last time
    One man size team : xixgames
    Best of luck for all

Quote Originally Posted by Looniper View Post
    Not sure how I would go about building audio, mesh, material assets and designing everything from the ground up alone in such a short time.. but others clearly do it, so I'm eager to find out.
    Core game first with blocks/primitives.

Then prioritize all the rest from there. I like functional menus -> Basic Sound -> Mesh replacement, but workflows are really up to you. Idea being that at any point you can build, ship, and have something that is playable.

If it ends up a mess, it's half the fun

Edit: Since marketplace and Learning resources are free to use for game jam entries, many people take advantage of them as well if it fits their game.
    Crackpot Gumption

You can find my blog, development updates, and other random things at my site, Crackpot Gumption.

I Just want to Know if in the Last game jam they forget to inform that you needed to say what assets you made or not.. Or now you can use others stuff without saying.I feel that this is going to be unfair to People that always do their stuff.

Lazysniper, if you include a list of all the premade stuff you use under a heading "Noted Assets" in a credits screen or somewhere on the submission thread, you'll be ok. As long as you declare it.

If you use marketplace assets that's okay as well.

I Know I have entered in several game jams but in the Last one ,they forgot to say that in the submission thread and People did games with complex models from the Internet and they didnt declared that. Do you understand what I mean?

Beginner here! I'm gonna participate in this jam but I would really like a team. I'm a 3D modeler and texture artist so mostly looking for programmers and or idea guys.

Hey guys,

Seeing LD48 and UE4Jam overlap this weekend,

extra points for those that fit BOTH the Ludum dare theme and UE4Jam and enter both with the same entry

I was thinking about it overnight, it should be doable, seeing by the end of day 2 I mostly have an unpolished prototype.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazysniper View Post
    I Just want to Know if in the Last game jam they forget to inform that you needed to say what assets you made or not.. Or now you can use others stuff without saying.I feel that this is going to be unfair to People that always do their stuff.
    Generally, if the assets are freely available for all (cc0 stuff, public domain stuff, all available to the general public) and if the public license for that asset allows the asset to be put into a game jam game (and by proxy) Epic promotional material (so basically CC0 or Public Domain), it's okay to use.

Assets that are NOT okay to use are any assets that are made before the jam that are not publicly available to all.

Marketplace assets are okay (available to all and all have licenses to ).

Learning Content tab assets are okay (available to all).

I wouldn't put too much worry into good looking assets, as the past couple jams have been won almost entirely by games with very, very few assets (a bat, a ball, and a couple clouds made of spheres won one of the top games last time...as well as another game that used mostly primitives to build). How fun the game is seems to trump everything else.

A lot of people started doing jams during the September mega jam where you HAD to list if you created all the assets yourself, as there were additional prizes (sponsored by Substance? I think?) that were based on graphical fidelity alone, so I think that's a holdover. Or if you are using a LOT of high quality assets and want to give credit (indicate where everyone else could have gotten them) or need to due to the license you are using the assets under (cc-0 by attribution).

But generally, as long as you are pulling from your own work or work that is freely available to all (and that all are licensed to put into your game), you should be okay.

Edit: Again, I wouldn't worry too much about high fidelity models. The stuff on the learn tab should do pretty well (there is a LOT of stuff there, especially in the Infinity blade stuff). If the game is fun, it doesn't matter a whole lot as to what it looks like. Make something you are proud of
    Last edited by jwainwright; 04-13-2016 at 07:35 PM.
    Crackpot Gumption

You can find my blog, development updates, and other random things at my site, Crackpot Gumption.

Infiltrator
    Actually it is mentioned in the detailed rules: Submission may include sourced (non-original) assets, but the sourced assets must be noted.

Quote Originally Posted by jwainwright View Post
    Generally, if the assets are freely available for all (cc0 stuff, public domain stuff, all available to the general public) and if the public license for that asset allows the asset to be put into a game jam game (and by proxy) Epic promotional material (so basically CC0 or Public Domain), it's okay to use.

Assets that are NOT okay to use are any assets that are made before the jam that are not publicly available to all.

Marketplace assets are okay (available to all and all have licenses to ).

Learning Content tab assets are okay (available to all).
    I think the reasoning is only half true. The rules state: [...] nor may the Submission include third-party copyrighted material or artwork, without the copyright holder’s permission. By entering, you warrant that your Submission does not infringe any third party’s rights, and that you have obtained any necessary permissions from all relevant third parties to submit the Submission. IMO this doesn't exclude assets that are not publicly available to all. You just have to make sure that you have all the needed rights to publically release your game.

But generally, as long as you are pulling from your own work [...], you should be okay.
    Again I'm not sure if this is correct, looking at the rules: Submission must not include assets created prior to the Contest period (outside of noted sourced assets). I think this rule is meant to take away the advantage off a team that has created many games and assets before which they could use now in the game jam. But where to draw the line? Is a plugin/asset-pack/etc. I've created and published before the game jam a sourced asset and therefore excluded from this rule? Or are 'sourced assets' only 3rd party assets? If so, you would e.g. not be allowed to use your stuff from the marketplace but only the assets created by others. So it all depends on the meaning of 'sourced assets'.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much about high fidelity models. The stuff on the learn tab should do pretty well (there is a LOT of stuff there, especially in the Infinity blade stuff). If the game is fun, it doesn't matter a whole lot as to what it looks like.
    Since the overall look is one of three judging criteria, it apparently matters what the game looks like. So high fidelity models can give you an advantage. But they are no guarantee, because the overall looks matters, not the look of one model. So IMHO was the overall look of the last winning games consistent and good, which therefore probably meet the criterion.
    Last edited by Benergy; 04-14-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Infiltrator
    Core game first with blocks/primitives.

Then prioritize all the rest from there. I like functional menus -> Basic Sound -> Mesh replacement, but workflows are really up to you. Idea being that at any point you can build, ship, and have something that is playable.

If it ends up a mess, it's half the fun

Edit: Since marketplace and Learning resources are free to use for game jam entries, many people take advantage of them as well if it fits their game.
    I have done various prototyping before, I've just never tried to build a complete game from the ground up by myself in such a short period of time. I keep thinking I should make a library of multi-purpose meshes to box it out with but that would defeat the purpose of doing it all this way.

I hope Mixamo's animations are allowed, I'm tragically unskilled at building anims.

Quote Originally Posted by Benergy View Post
    Actually it is mentioned in the detailed rules: Submission may include sourced (non-original) assets, but the sourced assets must be noted.

I think the reasoning is only half true. The rules state: [...] nor may the Submission include third-party copyrighted material or artwork, without the copyright holder’s permission. By entering, you warrant that your Submission does not infringe any third party’s rights, and that you have obtained any necessary permissions from all relevant third parties to submit the Submission. IMO this doesn't exclude assets that are not publicly available to all. You just have to make sure that you have all the needed rights to publically release your game.

Again I'm not sure if this is correct, looking at the rules: Submission must not include assets created prior to the Contest period (outside of noted sourced assets). I think this rule is meant to take away the advantage off a team that has created many games and assets before which they could use now in the game jam. But where to draw the line? Is a plugin/asset-pack/etc. I've created and published before the game jam a sourced asset and therefore excluded from this rule? Or are 'sourced assets' only 3rd party assets? If so, you would e.g. not be allowed to use your stuff from the marketplace but only the assets created by others. So it all depends on the meaning of 'sourced assets'.

Since the overall look is one of three judging criteria, it apparently matters what the game looks like. So high fidelity models can give you an advantage. But they are no guarantee, because the overall looks matters, not the look of one model. So IMHO was the overall look of the last winning games consistent and good, which therefore probably meet the criterion.
    To avoid this problem I would recommend that in the submission thread the Rule of " note the assets that were not made by you" is used so There is a fair competition. Dont you guys agree?

Samaritan
    I'll probably not have enough time this weekend but depending on theme and inspiration I'll probably try to do LudumDare and the Jam together.

Anyone need a sound designer?

Quote Originally Posted by loencn View Post
    Anyone need a sound designer?
    I can't promise I will be as active this weekend as I would like to necessarily but I could always use assistance in the sound department. I'm not on here as often as I am on Reddit though. I will check back here when possible but my username over there is mikehaysjr

To avoid this problem I would recommend that in the submission thread the Rule of " note the assets that were not made by you" is used so There is a fair competition. Dont you guys agree?
    Definitely agree with that.
    Crackpot Gumption

Infiltrator
    So the theme is "Spring into the future". First thing I do after the announcement is ask our team's captain, @unrealbot, what we should do and he commands we make a game about assassinating trees under water.

So... "spring", shooting trees under water. The RNG gods are in my favor :P

Infiltrator
    TBH I'm not sure that the amount of 3rd party assets is considered in judging the games, like I'm not sure if the team size is a judging criterion. I think these rules are not for fairness but to avoid copyright infringement.

But with more assets sometimes you can create better environments .
    Last edited by Lazysniper; 04-14-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Grammar xD

I've seen some games win that didn't use any 3rd party asses, basically just starter content. So I don't think its a big aspect.. I think its originality and how fun the game is.

Hi guys, like last time, I will be streaming on Twitch over the next 3 days. Come say hi?

https://www.twitch.tv/keyle/

Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast