on OSX?

Hey,
I was wondering if is supported (or planned to be supported) on OS X. I have a 2015 Mac and it has OpenGL 4.3 on it, so it should support tessellation, however when I create a shader that uses it, nothing seems to happen. I saw on the wiki that it was only DirectX 11 compatible, but OpenGL has it, so I don’t see why the feature can’t be implemented, unless it is too much wasted effort. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

I doesn’t work with normal macs, I use a hackintosh and I had to do some serious work to get working. Basically it seems as as if the default mac graphics drivers don’t support it, but when I installed my GTX 970 and put custom drivers on, worked well in UE4, although the performance isn’t at the same caliber as Windows 10. You really do need DX 11 or 12 to use it, and the only way to get this functionality on a mac, that I have seen, is with non apple hardware, something that wouldn’t work in your case.

The GPUs in Macs have supported for a while but the API support is a bit more challenging. isn’t supported at all by Metal so it isn’t available and Mac OpenGL is limited to version 4.1 which has but not compute. Unfortunately as is only supported as part of UE4’s Shader Model 5 render path we would need compute support as well in order to support tessellation. It isn’t worth decoupling from SM5 just for the Mac.

No offence, but unity5.3 just got tess enabled on mac. With openGL.

Yeah, but due to how UE4 works it would require as mentioned by Marksatt, to decouple the feature from the shader model 5 feature level, which isn’t something they want to do as it creates a discrepancy between OSX and other platforms.

Spot on. At various points I did give it a go - but every time I tried I ran into (& reported) nasty bugs in some of the drivers and once Metal came along it was obviously not worth pursuing further.

It sounds to me like there already exists a discrepancy between OSX and other platforms if we are locked out of important features like tesselation. Why not just drop ALL support for Mac so we can flush all the time and energy and expense we Mac users have put into learning this engine? So, man up, and fix this or tell us to forget UE4.

Apple should add Vulkan correctly to their os and update OpenGL and be more open in general.

Mac OSX and Tesselation

Sorry to vent my frustration, but you are right. I will make my views known to Apple, and see if there are others who have the same problems.
I’ve been a Mac user since 1987, have a 64 GB 2013. Would appreciate any specific (technical) suggestions I can forward to Apple and other users.

is support on Mac with Metal as of UE4 4.15 - to enable go into the Project Settings > Mac > Metal Version and select “Metal v1.2” - its opt-in because it requires recompiling all the shaders and means you need to be running macOS 10.12 or later to run the Metal SM5 shaders.

Beautiful. Thank you!