How to use Vulkan in Unreal Engine 4

Hey everyone,

I’ve written a small tutorial about how to use Vulkan in UE4, you can find it in the wiki: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums

It’s not that hard, just make sure you first install the SDK and then compile the engine, if you don’t do it then you have to compile the whole engine 2 times, I made that fault when I first tried it.

:slight_smile:

Nice! A little tip: You don’t need an Lunar XChange account to download the SDK, the actual download is right below the login button written in a tiny white text :wink:

Pretty neat… Time for a MASTER branch update!

teak

thank you:)

Interesting, thanks for this, i really interested about Vulkan :slight_smile:

I tried the tutorial, Installed Vulkan SDK, Latest Nvidia Driver, Build Unreal Master Branch (which for some reason says 4.12) and edited the shortcut but it wont work :frowning:

Here is a Screenshot
Imgur

So doing it this way means I can’t use the launcher anymore?

~ Jason

does this work on Mac OS X ? or is this (still) windows only ?

IIRC Apple will not be supporting Vulkan, so it will never work on OSX.

Hi Sunchaser,

I do not believe Apple will be providing Vulkan for Mac OSX since they have their own Metal API. There does seem to be at least one group working on a Vulkan -> Metal layer:

https://moltengl.com/moltenvk/

This said, focusing on Metal for Mac OSX and iOS makes better sense.

so - bootcamping is an option here ?
or just buying a big fat laptop with GTX980 and get it over with ?

Bookmarked and shared to my friends @ slack

Quick feedback to my own comment.
I was about to buy a new windows machine especially for Vulkan but some guys that know more about hardware and OS than I do told me to at least give Bootcamp a try.

So - after 2 days of work I have UE4.12 Preview 3 running on my Macbook under Windows 7.1 through bootcamp.

2 days of work seems like a lot but included:

• Freeing up enough space for the Bootcamp partition (I set it at a comfortable 150GB) -> so moving all the data over to my Synology NAS

• Installing Windows 7.1 on the partition (had some serious issues which seem to be very common), so there were a lot of twists and bends and Youtube tutorials to follow

• Making sure I got all the right drivers for my peripherals

• Installing the Vulkan driver for my graphics card

• Installing .NET and a couple of Windows security updates (I did not miss those :)) like SP1

• Installing UE4 and all the dependencies that make android development work (the Android Kit, installing Samsung drivers etc)

• Installing the Vulkan SDK (5.0.1 for now , as per Protostar recommendations)

• At the end of all this , I was hoping that I did not need to rebuild the engine (as is stated in the Wiki) for Vulkan support. That’s where Preview 3 comes in. It’s right there, no need to rebuild anything through Visual Studio

– Does someone know what have I do to finish the build? After Vulkan SDK install VS stops building giving this error

Not sure since you didn’t really show the lines where the error came up, but I think I saw the exact same error recently in 4.12, and the cause is that you have a new Vulkan SDK installed while 4.13 does only support older versions of the SDK. So if you just want to test Vulkan you should use 4.14, there the problem is fixed, if its really the same problem I saw.

Thanx. It really could be something like that. I’ll do some tests

====UPDATE====

Build succeed for 4.13.2 with Vulkan SDK v1.0.24.0! Good luck to everyone